Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,779 times

Advertisements

Hi all - this is my very first posting ever...wish me luck!

I'm in my 30's, I live in Venice, CA and desperately want to get out of the city. My mom lives in Battle Ground and I love it there (it feels very rural, yet Portland isn't too far away). I was raised in the mountains and I miss trees and weather and snow and nature!!
I'm looking for a small friendly town in/near the mountains with lots of trees, guaranteed snow, liberal mind set, artsy, and dog friendly. I work from home, so no commute (all I need is a good DSL line). No kids and no plans for them so schools aren't an issue. I just want to get back to nature! (I'm single...so a nice selection of single straight men would be nice!!) Any suggestions? Are there any coastal towns that always get snow? Are there any towns near natural hot springs?
In my search so far I've taken note on Leavenworth, Jordan Road, Cascade Valley, Davenport, Deer Park, Cavanaugh, Kettle Falls, Green Acres, North Bend, Maple Falls....are any of these good places?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:06 AM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercysydney View Post
Hi all - this is my very first posting ever...wish me luck!

I'm in my 30's, I live in Venice, CA and desperately want to get out of the city. My mom lives in Battle Ground and I love it there (it feels very rural, yet Portland isn't too far away). I was raised in the mountains and I miss trees and weather and snow and nature!!
I'm looking for a small friendly town in/near the mountains with lots of trees, guaranteed snow, liberal mind set, artsy, and dog friendly. I work from home, so no commute (all I need is a good DSL line). No kids and no plans for them so schools aren't an issue. I just want to get back to nature! (I'm single...so a nice selection of single straight men would be nice!!) Any suggestions? Are there any coastal towns that always get snow? Are there any towns near natural hot springs?
In my search so far I've taken note on Leavenworth, Jordan Road, Cascade Valley, Davenport, Deer Park, Cavanaugh, Kettle Falls, Green Acres, North Bend, Maple Falls....are any of these good places?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
For more snow and to have four seasons, you would probably like Leavenworth or some place closer to Spokane (near Mount Spokane, etc.). Unless you really like a lot of rain (or at least don't mind it), W. Washington doesn't really offer much in the way of four seasons with limited snow in the winter unless you actually and obviously go towards the mountains. Even so, there is still more wet-snow. There is a lot to do, however, for the out of doors person anywhere close to the mountains (obviously), but Eastern WA offers more in the way of getting out and being able to see "things" more often (just my opinion and I have lived for years in both).

I personally found getting out and about in Eastern WA much easier due to the weather. I don't mind having large amounts of snow in the winter time (rather have that for a couple months over rain for many months). I see snow as an apportunity to have a good time (skiing, snowmobiling, snow-shoeing, etc.), but it goes away and there are nice, hot summers. The leaves change in the fall, and there are just four, distinct seasons (all I can say). The snow over in E. WA is different. In my opinion, it's not as bad when you get it in E. WA. It's drier and easier to drive in, etc. You also don't seem to get it and have it turn into rain after a day or so.

Leavenworth is a awesome place to live (used to live there and wouldn't mind moving back if I could find a job), but it's not a big singles place. As far as liberal minded, it's very accepting. People there really don't get wrapped up in the whole Liberal and Conservative thing; they are just the type of people who are nice to nice people (from what I remember). The whole wacky political structure (from both sides) didn't used to get a lot of advertisement over there. They were just pretty much in their own little world and liked nice people for being nice (remember those days?). That being said, I think anyone who flaunts a view just for the sake of doing so brings attention to themselves making them a target for the opposite side of the view to open up on them. People in Leavenworth never really ran around ranting about their point of view and trying to force it on to others. It was kind of a live and let live and just be nice to others attitude. Now...I don't know if that has changed, and this is just one persons opinion. I, in no way, wan't to lead anyone astray. Good luck on you decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington