Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,751 times

Advertisements

My family was thinking about a move to Port Angeles, Washington and i was wondering if there was alot of cna jobs and cook work. how are the schools and how is the crime there, is there alot of meth use? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Hi my wife is a cna. Lots of work on the Olympic peninsula in that field. Will let others in PA answer the other questions.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 PM

thank you

Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 PM

im hoping someone can tell me about the availability on the line cook jobs!!! we fell in love with port angeles and really want to make a move. my husband has 16 years cooking exp.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:03 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Check the paper, Check Craigslist.. Make some phone calls. I suspect jobs are avalible. Lower paying jobs for people with experience are usually easy to land.

Don,t know your background, but small isolated towns in logging country can be tough for people not use to it.. Culture shock for some.

You can get your meth answers from the paper and looking at the crime statistics on city data. (My opinion, their are worse places.)

Good luck.. Hope you get some more.replies..

Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I was just there today visiting my parents and doing some work around the place. They are in the Blue Mountain area, unincorporated PA just beyond Sequim. The meth problems are downtown and more on the outskirts toward Joyce in the rural areas. There are plenty of restaurants between Sequim and PA, but the best time to find work there is late spring before the tourist season.
This time of year, they are cutting back for the winter. I was surprised to see the gas there all below $3, most $2.69-80 and the highest $2.99 while we are still over $3 here. They have been very happy there the last 12 years and homes are still affordable. One of the friends just sold a 1,600 sf newer double wide manufactured on 2 acres for $190k.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Ooops, I just posted my two-cents on another "what is PA like" post, you can see it there. Also, I was employed for awhile in a position that gave me an overview of the availability of the kinds of work you are seeking in this area. CNA work is probably more available than line-cook work, the former because of the number of older people living here, the latter because of its seasonal nature. Contact Olympic Medical Center or Jefferson Health Care to expand beyond Clallam Co. Yes, there is drug use, fact of life unfortunately, it is all over the country and world, but I have seen much worse. Good luck, & I hope you like talking to trees!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-25-2014 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: More to say

Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,725 times
Having lived in Port Angeles recently for 12 years, I can tell you there is a lot of mental illness and meth. There is a huge need for a new High School. My spouse teaches in a cinder block building there and he is sick all winter. The heat doesn't work properly, so there is a lot of mold. The school district is proposing a replacement bond up in Feb 2015. The former bond expires and paid for an updated elementary school. I am not very hopeful that the community will support this much needed newer campus. There was a vote a couple of years ago to replacement the lights and build better drainage at the local civic field where football, and other sports are played. It failed. However, the town is one of the most beautiful settings, with the mountains and water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington