Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Thanks for that. I do follow the web page, found my self quoted from something I wrote here on CD once..

Look at.predominant wind directions. Rare are sw.windsz so up town, fort Worden and north beach may.smell it once in a blue moon. But it can and does happen. If it freaks you too bad, then maybe not for you. Which would be a bummer.. Pretty dang magical on most other aspects of life.
Thanks. I've been there a few times and haven't noticed anything. And those visits were mainly around the downtown/Ft. Worden area. So you love the town? Tell me about the "magical".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. I've been there a few times and haven't noticed anything. And those visits were mainly around the downtown/Ft. Worden area. So you love the town? Tell me about the "magical".
That is hard to answer in this format. The magic is pretty subtle/internal if you will.

I think a good mental exercise is to spin it around and consider what it is you offer the community, instead of what the community offers you! Somwhere in that concept the "magic"is found as with most things in life.

For us it is a fit, but we are pretty strange. This is moving to the big city for us, we come from very rural area. We understand the hardships of living and making a meger living in an isolated vacation community.

Plus we don't have Walmart the epitome of materialistic diversion.. How much better can it get than that..?

As the popular local bumper sticker proclaims: " We are all here. Because we are not all there."

Yep you gotta be nuts to live here..

Seriously, it is not for most people.. But for some it is a good fit.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
That is hard to answer in this format. The magic is pretty subtle/internal if you will.

I think a good mental exercise is to spin it around and consider what it is you offer the community, instead of what the community offers you! Somwhere in that concept the "magic"is found as with most things in life.

For us it is a fit, but we are pretty strange. This is moving to the big city for us, we come from very rural area. We understand the hardships of living and making a meger living in an isolated vacation community.

Plus we don't have Walmart the epitome of materialistic diversion.. How much better can it get than that..?

As the popular local bumper sticker proclaims: " We are all here. Because we are not all there."

Yep you gotta be nuts to live here..

Seriously, it is not for most people.. But for some it is a good fit.
This is one thing that attracts me about it. I'm from Berkeley, which has had policies in place to keep corporate chain businesses out for decades. My main challenge will be finding a job.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:51 PM
mev

154 posts, read 295,546 times
I love, that everything moves at a slower pace in PT. I find the town enchanting!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
This is one thing that attracts me about it. I'm from Berkeley, which has had policies in place to keep corporate chain businesses out for decades. My main challenge will be finding a job.
Ahh a job.. If you need more than say $10 or $12 an hour. You better bring the job with you or land one before moving.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Ahh a job.. If you need more than say $10 or $12 an hour. You better bring the job with you or land one before moving.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks. Yeah, I've discovered, after doing some study on the internet, that it's slim pickings, except for people in the health care field. I thought I had at least a great part-time telecommuting job, but it just imploded. For now, at least. I'll just have to get lucky to find something local up there.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:39 PM

OK been trying to pay attention. Yes a couple times a day I here a distant rumble of fighter jets, the past few days. Mind you it is calm,clear, dry, quiet and cold. So sound really travels. Still small aircraft are louder from my farm.
Actually only saw one fighter jet yesterday it was flying shadow under a really low passenger plane. (Must have been some one important landing on Whidbey island.

OK, second I read in this weeks PT Leader the mill will spend some money to reduce certain particulate pollution to comply with EPA 2015/clean air standards.

I know.it is only because they have too,.but a reduction is a reduction. Artical also mentioned the biofuel expansion project is dead.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
OK been trying to pay attention. Yes a couple times a day I here a distant rumble of fighter jets, the past few days. Mind you it is calm,clear, dry, quiet and cold. So sound really travels. Still small aircraft are louder from my farm.
Actually only saw one fighter jet yesterday it was flying shadow under a really low passenger plane. (Must have been some one important landing on Whidbey island.

OK, second I read in this weeks PT Leader the mill will spend some money to reduce certain particulate pollution to comply with EPA 2015/clean air standards.

I know.it is only because they have too,.but a reduction is a reduction. Artical also mentioned the biofuel expansion project is dead.
Hey, this is good news! I really appreciate these updates. Did it say why the expansion project is dead?

Probably the jet noise is traveling over the water from the Navy base. Sound carries a lot more over water. But if those exercises in or around the rainforest and national park come to pass, the jets would be flying right over Pt T to get to the target area, so the noise would be impossible to miss at that point.

And btw, where around Pt T is your farm located?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-14-2014 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
One of the article headlines from today's Peninsula Daily News: "Public meeting set in Port Townsend to discuss proposal to add 36 Growlers at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island"

Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Hey, this is good news! I really appreciate these updates. Did it say why the expansion project is dead?

Probably the jet noise is traveling over the water from the Navy base. Sound carries a lot more over water. But if those exercises in or around the rainforest and national park come to pass, the jets would be flying right over Pt T to get to the target area, so the noise would be impossible to miss at that point.

And btw, where around Pt T is your farm located?
Ruth, I am just outside city limits dead center of the Quimper peninsula.

Yes the artical said the expansion was dead, because California does not have .marker for "green energy" anymore.

What a sack of #@&%!!!

Man you have to be smart and pay attention these days.. Eveyone spins everything to their benifit. Don't have a clue what that really means. Most likely the folks on wall street did not see.enough profit for the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington