Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
what's the obsession with old houses? I would prefer to live in a 2014 house or at least 2000s.
Higher ceilings, usually, more solid construction. Little extras, like built-in cabinets or nice wood trim around the doors, leaded glass windows sometimes. If you like that kind of "old world charm", as the realtors call it. Sizeable basements, too, instead of just a crawl space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
each to their own...

I have had nearly 20 houses. I prefer 1935 - 1950's
I have built 4 of my own, (all energy star / solar / view homes) They are nice, and I add a lot of special features. I still prefer a 'craftsman' from a vintage builder, as current materials are just plain cold, sterile, and CHEAP.

They just don't build them like they used to. (Even when you build your own). I use lots of materials from salvage / restore / rebuilding center, still not the same.
YMMV

My next project is "Rammed Earth" (not in We_tern WA)
Rabbit, I've remodeled houses, and you can replicate some of those craftsman's features, like wainscoting and various wood trim, leaded glass windows, etc. And btw, in case you're interested, you live on the Olympic Peninsula, right? Well I just found a mill that produces honest-to-goodness shiplap, the real thing! It's on Orcas Island, though. Still, you could order some, and go over there with a truck, if you really wanted it for a project.

What are the less than desirable areas in B'ham, btw? I'm thinking that if Port Townsend doesn't work out, I should consider Bellingham.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-23-2014 at 01:06 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rabbit, I've remodeled houses, and you can replicate some of those craftsman's features, ...

What are the less than desirable areas in B'ham, btw? I'm thinking that if Port Townsend doesn't work out, I should consider Bellingham.
I need to learn plastering and ceiling cove.... (and Commercial grade Linoleum cove)

You can match the look, but not the sound / thermal / rigidity of Plaster and Cove.
New linoleum's are too thin to cove.

Bellingham... there are a lot of 'student rental' areas (duplexes / tri) Every year you get to experience the freedom they test by being away from home. Parties, and the traditional burning of furniture after finals.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I need to learn plastering and ceiling cove.... (and Commercial grade Linoleum cove)

You can match the look, but not the sound / thermal / rigidity of Plaster and Cove.
New linoleum's are too thin to cove.
I can relate. I was never able to find any of the high-end formica, like they used to have. All you can get these days is cheap, flimsy stuff with a matte finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit;
Bellingham... there are a lot of 'student rental' areas (duplexes / tri) Every year you get to experience the freedom they test by being away from home. Parties, and the traditional burning of furniture after finals.
Oh, is that all? Just the student districts and "fraternity row"? There are no higher-crime areas? That's not too bad. I've never heard of burning furniture at the end of the school year, though.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, is that all? Just the student districts and "fraternity row"? ...
note: The areas I encountered rentals / student neighbors in Bellingham were no where near the U. Some were older housing areas in town, others were 'infill' (duplexes and 4 plexes placed amongst SFR in what could have previously been a nice neighborhood)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington