Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,582 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My family and I are moving to Tacoma in the summer and I wanted an advice about neighborhoods that are good and safe for a family to live in. Is the school determined by home location? If so- what are the recommended elementary schools in Tacoma.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorsh3 View Post
Hi there,
My family and I are moving to Tacoma in the summer and I wanted an advice about neighborhoods that are good and safe for a family to live in. Is the school determined by home location? If so- what are the recommended elementary schools in Tacoma.
Thanks for the help.
Well tacoma is a city of extremes, lots of extremely wealth areas and a fair amount of working/lower class areas. Good amount of suburbs in between. First I need to know where you will be working and Whats your budget?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
If you're gong to live within the city of Tacoma itself, Washington-Hoyt Elementary in the Proctor district is a great school. Lowell and Browns Point are a couple of other good Tacoma elementary schools. If you wanted to live outside of Tacoma, University Place has very good schools, as does Puyallup and Gig Harbor.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 AM

My husband is going to work in Tacoma, around Durango st. We need a 4 bedroom house, something nice, and fenced for our dog. Our preferred budget for rent is between 1500-1800.
Thanks.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorsh3 View Post
My husband is going to work in Tacoma, around Durango st. We need a 4 bedroom house, something nice, and fenced for our dog. Our preferred budget for rent is between 1500-1800.
Thanks.
A 4 bedroom in a good neighborhood for that price maybe hard to find, i would first looked in the parkland area

Old 11-16-2014, 01:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
It seems that the closer you get to either Federal Way or University Place, the better the schools get.

It is also worthy of note that relative wealth of area and quality of schools have a direct correlation; the wealthier an area is, the better the schools generally are. That may have an immediate strain on your budget. I can see a 3-bedroom fitting in that budget, but a 4-bedroom will be a stretch given the desirability of those schools in an area where the division of quality is pretty stark.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Got it. Coming from the midwest, where 4 bedrooms are common in my price range, it sounds like some adjustments will have to be made. Oh, well, at least we'll have a wonderful view

Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
A 4 bedroom in a good neighborhood for that price maybe hard to find, i would first looked in the parkland area

When my Grandpa and Grandma moved to town from Gig Harbor way after Grandpa retired they moved to Parkland. Right across from the PLU campus in an apartment. Seems like an opportunity would exist in that area for the OP.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

When my Grandpa and Grandma moved to town from Gig Harbor way after Grandpa retired they moved to Parkland. Right across from the PLU campus in an apartment. Seems like an opportunity would exist in that area for the OP.
I think the sticking point are the schools. I'd put Parkland schools in the middle of the pack; better than a lot of Tacoma schools but not quite as high as UP or FW.

Still, I wouldn't rule Parkland out. That area is quite nice.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:47 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Yeah, I was raised in "Barbara Billingsley" Edmonds and Parkland's not quite as nice as that but it's no slouch, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington