Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 37,790 times

Advertisements

My Fiance Will Be Stationed At Fort Lewis. We Are Not Sure If We Want To Live On The Base Or Not. Can Anyone Give My Any Information On The Nicest Cities, Neighborhoods...etc. To Live Near Fort Lewis. I Also Need Information About The Weather And About Any Job Listing You May Know About. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I know many Fort Lewis families live off base in Lacey and Dupont. Right now there are a number of new or 1 to 2 year old homes being advertised.

Just do a search on Lacey WA rentals or Olympia rentals and see what comes up.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

86 posts, read 403,017 times
Well it all depends on your rank. If he is lower rank enlisted and unmarried there is a requirement for him to live on post in military quarters. If he is an officer that is another situation.
If you are really committed to each other and plan to get married anyways don't wait to have a civil wedding..that will give you the extra amount for housing as well as it will allow you to live in family housing on post. Without children you will live in the smallest housing but it will save you a lot of money on gas, plus you will be close to all the shopping etc...
Now if you are settled on living off post then check with the housing relocation unit at Fort Lewis. Another great source of information on rental is the Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN). It is the Defense department site where you canseek housing for rent etc...
There are many options available. Just make sure your BAH is enough to pay not only rent but the utilities as well. Many make the mistake of using the whole BAH for rental without counting on the extra expenses that should be accounted for within that range.

good luck! I am also an army wife and married to a captain.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 PM

To make myself clear "military quarters" is housing just for the soldier. You can't live there. The other option is family housing and for that you must be married or he must have children..

If he knows what unit he is going to be assigned to then you should ask him to contact the FRG leader (family readinness)for some input. Since I read you are looking to work in the corrections then try to find a month to month somewhere until you find your job and then relocate to a more convenient location for both of you.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM

107 posts, read 402,578 times
Can you give us an idea of his rank? Then we can give you an idea what areas of Ft. Lewis you'd be eligible for. Here's a great resource for Army living:
https://onestop.army.mil/

You can look up the different posts and installations. You can see floor plans, etc. And you also look up what his BAH will be unless, as a currently single soldier, he's required to live in the barracks.

We live on the north/west side of IH-5 (Tacoma/University Place/Lakewood area) and love it.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella2 View Post
Another great source of information on rental is the Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN). It is the Defense department site where you canseek housing for rent etc...
I just wanted to point out that the AHRN site is sponsored by the Defense Department, but is not a Defense Department site. They are a private company with an exclusive contract with DOD.

I would agree with the previous poster that Dupont and Lacey are probably the best communities close to Ft. Lewis. The housing office on post can give you rental listings in those areas, or you can search on Craigslist.

As far as employment, the biggest employers in the Ft. Lewis area would be the state of Washington, the DOD, MWR, State Farm Insurance, Intel and Venture Bank.

Sandy

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
I just wanted to point out that the AHRN site is sponsored by the Defense Department, but is not a Defense Department site. They are a private company with an exclusive contract with DOD.

I would agree with the previous poster that Dupont and Lacey are probably the best communities close to Ft. Lewis. The housing office on post can give you rental listings in those areas, or you can search on Craigslist.

As far as employment, the biggest employers in the Ft. Lewis area would be the state of Washington, the DOD, MWR, State Farm Insurance, Intel and Venture Bank.

Sandy

It is the site for military members to access rental or buying information. At the military relocation office at any installation you will be directed to use this service. As many other support services wheter contracted or not these are the sites sponsored for our use.
For example the Army Community Services at Lewis uses a contractor to provide and manage the Family Exceptional Program. Yet we do not mention the contractor. We mentioned the Army's Family Exceptional Program. It is an Army program ...

I hope all soldiers use that site... There is no charge for posting your rental or for sale info and there is no charge for looking !

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,828 times
We assigned to fort lewis and would like to know wich area is the best to live on post .

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,273 times
Lookin for a girl who likes to go out on a limb... I'm in south tacoma/ lewis and need a date. Nothin formal but let's go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington