Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

I recently have received a job offer that will have me relocating to Wenatchee or Yakima.

I was wondering, how good of a place is Wenatchee/Yakima to live as single white male in his mid 20s? How are the bars? How's the dating scene? Is there a lot to do besides outdoors stuff (I really like concerts and professional sports and am not big on outdoors stuff)?

Most importantly, how similar is Wenatchee/Yakima to Pullman? I used to go to grad school at WSU and absolutely hated living in Pullman (to the point where I became depressed). I didn't like the isolated feeling of the place, and I didn't particularly care for the weather, or lack of things to do, either.

I just moved back to Western NY (Rochester area) a few months ago after desperately trying to get out of Pullman, and hearing that the job I applied for will be based in Wenatchee/Yakima instead of the Northeast like when I initially applied really threw me for a loop. All my friends and family are in the Northeast and Midwest, and it would be tough to move away from all of them, though I certainly would have no problem with it if I were to move somewhere that's fun and has plenty to do.

They're flying me out next week to check out the place more and tour some facilities, but I'm not completely enamored with the idea of moving back to Eastern WA (I've been to Wenatchee a couple times, but not for anything more than a day). My plan is to check things out, but I figured people here could provide some helpful input.

The offer is fairly good, which is making this a tough decision for me, so thank you in advance for any input on Wenatchee/Yakima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 PM

116 posts, read 186,074 times
I've lived my whole life east of the Cascades and can tell you that each has a little something to offer to you. To satisfy your concert craving, you've got the Gorge Amphitheater in George, always ranked one of the best outdoor concert venues in the country. The biggest names in music are frequently passing through. From Wenatchee it's only a 45 min drive, but the drive from Yakima isn't much longer.

As for sports, Yakima definitely has more options: the Yakima Valley Pippins are a college-level summer baseball team that plays in the same ballpark as the former minor league Yakima Bears. Lots of the players come from big D-I schools across the country. The Yakima Mavericks are a minor league football team in the 11-team Pacific Football League.

In Wenatchee, there tends to be more Seattle transplants looking for sunshine and less traffic, so as a result the demographic is slightly older. So the chance to meet singles there is probably not as great, but with it being a fairly touristy town, the bar scene is pretty solid with lots of options.

While Yakima isn't a "hotspot" per se, you'll probably have better luck meeting singles your age because of the younger demographic. The bar scene isn't quite as good though; you've got several options, but it's more of a chain restaurant/bland strip mall type of city.

Honestly, both Yakima and Wenatchee feel a bit isolated, but not nearly as much as does Pullman. So really in the long run, Yakima would be your best bet for "things to do," especially knowing that you aren't as big on outdoorsy activities. Larger population, more sports, younger demographic, and growing pretty quickly.

Do, however, prepare yourself for similar weather as you experienced in Pullman. That's just the way it is for the majority of WA east of the Cascades. Warm summers in the 80s and 90s with occasional triple digits, and winters normally in the 30s. Not much rain.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, always happy to help!

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Ellensburg isn't too far from Yakima (36 miles, 38 minutes by car according to Google Maps). It is a college town (Central Washington) and will have a younger dating/bar scene. You'll also be closer to Seattle (107 miles), if you get hungry for the big city, or want to catch a concert or sporting event (Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders, Huskies).

There's skiing in the area, if you want to give it a try - Snoqualmie, Mission Ridge, Crystal Mountain. Chance to meet and mix with younger people.

An issue could be driving in the winter between Ellensburg and Yakima - you're closer to the Cascades, so can get snow.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 12-26-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,465 times
I'vd lived in all three places, Ellensburg is the best. It's growing, and they have a small town feel, with a brighter, safer area than Yakima. Too much crime in Yakima, rent is high and you pretty much have to be bilingual to get any job. lol. The sex offender state status is highest in state. There is so much more in Ellensburg, a huge city pool, a lake by the river, nitelife, and use of the college. It really is the CENTER of Washington sate.
Ivy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington