Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times

Advertisements

Dont listen to CD wack jobs..

However,, land a job before you come. Let your job decide where you go. Be mindful of the cost of living near major cities/tec areas.

Tell hubby he can organic farmer and make a buck if he.is.creative enough, and is smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM

318 posts, read 628,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleryanlily View Post
Since when did Washington not use social workers? Does Washington don't have mental health facilities? Maybe I want to open my own private practice. Social workers are like Clemens, there are many jobs that we can do, that people didn't realize social workers did. And I was thinking about that area Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater
Gosh, I didn't mean to be so discouraging. By all means, come out West without a job. I'm sure you'll do fine, but you might want to bone up on your grammar before you submit your resume.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleryanlily View Post
We been google the following towns, Maple Valley,Puyallup, Graham, Gig Harbor, or Bonney Lake, and Sequim. My husband step mother lives in port Townsend. We would mind living hour away from Seattle. We have a 6 year old daughter and we would love a great school system, and low crime
You can find a wealth of information on C-D (both forums and city information) by doing a search on each town. It will take some time to get through all the posts/statistics...and evaluate them...but it's well worth it IMO.

We are retiring to Sequim in 5-7 years from SE Wisconsin. My idea of Sequim is a great place to retire and a good place to raise a family if you are established with a secure job but my guess is that it could be challenging to start fresh in the Sequim area...not many job opportunities but lots of competition for the few jobs available.

Health care and social work are typically pretty good bets where ever you go as long as you are not fussy and willing to take anything in your field. My gut told me that Port Angeles would have the best chance of jobs in your field in the Port Angeles/Sequim/Port Townsend area but I only found two after a quick search. TrueTimbers' advice to land a job first is worth taking. Hubby and I are both Med Techs (hospital laboratory) and jobs are generally easy to come by in our field but we do not consider the area job friendly for us.

The PA/Sequim/PT area has a strong organic fresh food tendency so TT's suggestion of organic farming for your hubby is right on. But, depending on your hubby's background and how much capital you have to invest in setting up a farm, there might be a learning curve that would delay profits making your well paying and secure job that much more important. The Sequim area also has water restrictions that can make farming difficult to impossible for new land use. Check out the Dungeness Water Rule.

I don't live in the PNW so this is merely a feel based on the many C-D posts I've read and other research I've done but lots of competition for very few jobs seems to be the downside for many of the attractive smaller towns in the PNW. And high COL for areas near Seattle. Not to discourage you but to suggest that thorough research and a job in hand will make things much easier for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington