Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My fiancé and I are planning on moving from Kansas to Seattle this spring after I graduate from school. We don't really know where to look for housing though. We'd like to be near Seattle (within an hour and a half max), but are having trouble finding apartments with rent under $1,000/month. Is this even a possibility? I know the cost of living is higher in Washington than in Kansas. Any ideas on where to look? I'm going to be a nurse so I need to be in a town or close to one with a hospital/clinic, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Not much within an hour of Seattle at that price point, which is why you're having trouble. That all started to rapidly disappear a few years ago. Lot of rooms for rent at that price, more or less, on internal advertisements within my employer (tech major) both Seattle and Eastside, but that's about it. Usually short-term arrangements.

Seattle's bubble economy is booming, pretty obviously, and a complicated market for housing (demand, supply seem to be in disequilibrium for various reasons) keeps prices up. Though Seattle Times says a building boom is underway, which seems consistent with my observations in places like Capitol Hill, Kirkland, and Bellevue, e.g.

Tech salaries put the primary demand on the $2K and up side, I suspect, thus that's what they're building much to the dismay of starving artists. "As of November, 2014, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Seattle, WA is $1694. One bedroom apartments in Seattle rent for $1402 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $1945." (1) "seems about right" these days.

Missing some of the puzzle: where, exactly, will you be working in nursing? Considering traffic patterns and etc., that matters quite a bit. Showing up without a job in one of the hottest housing markets in the US, 10th highest for rentals (2) would probably not setup for success, in my observation.

(1)(2) Seattle Times, 2014 stories

Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
Anywhere that I can find a job, honestly. Nursing, while in high demand, is a hard field for new grads to get hired in. Most places want nurses with experience, and it's especially hard since they want to do interviews in person. I just want an idea of where to narrow my search. And I'm open to being farther from Seattle.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Maybe the Mt. Vernon/Burlington area? There's a good sized Hospital in Mt. Vernon and its not too far from the larger Hospitals in Everett or Bellingham. Its about an hour from downtown Seattle.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I'd look at Tacoma and Everett, both of which have concentrations of hospitals/clinics, as well as affordable rents (1bd apts for $700-900). Alternatively, you could also live between them and Seattle, allowing you and your fiance to commute in either direction, while still having affordable rents: North of Seattle: Lynnwood/Alderwood Mall/Mountlake Terrace/Mill Creek area; south of Seattle: Kent/Auburn/Federal Way/Sumner/Puyallup area.

Commuting options:

King County Metro Transit
Sound Transit Express Buses, Link Light Rail, Sounder Commuter Rail
Pierce Transit (Pierce County)
Community Transit (Snohomish County)
Everett Transit

http://www.soundtransit.org/document...emMap_0611.pdf
http://seattletransitblog.com/wp-con...-01-13-011.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9FIVJOpmjG.../systemMap.jpg
http://www.commtrans.org/BusService/...mMapSept14.pdf
http://en.calameo.com/read/003747885f3291c2125cf

Old 12-30-2014, 04:53 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
I'd look into opportunities in Spokane or Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco). Seattle rentals are just really spendy, commutes terrible, and home ownership a pipe dream. Tri-Cities has three hospitals and is effectively a regional healthcare center; plus, the healthcare is so mediocre there that I think there's significant turnover. My self-adopted daughter is a nurse in the region and she has never had trouble finding work there since graduation. Spokane is the healthcare center for the northeastern part plus the Idaho panhandle. Both have reasonably affordable costs of living and are culturally (and climatewise) more akin to what you're used to. And that's not a political allusion, but a cultural one. I'm from Hutch and my mom's family are concentrated in the Flint Hills and JoCo, and dad's are mostly around Wichita and surrounds, and I lived 39 years in Washington--about sixteen each in Seattle and Tri-Cities, and about seven in between the two.

The beef sucks in WA, but the agricultural diversity is tremendous and delicious. Kansas has nothing resembling WA's agricultural diversity; almost everyone puts in wheat, then milo or soybeans, repeat. If you read the obituaries for the local papers, you will see that both Spokane and Tri-Cities both have significant populations of Great Plains state origin, because a lot of elderly folks' obits will tell you that Adna Marie Miller (or whoever) was born in, say, Wamego or Council Bluffs, and moved to Pasco or Moses Lake with her family as a child.

My logic is that it's not as hard to get established and get your experience on the east side, taking some visits to Seattle and deciding from there if the coolness of living there is worth the traffic and the $400K fixer-uppers. Washington is a much more diverse state, climatologically and geographically, than is well understood back home and farther east.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Retsil, WA (Port Orchard / near Bremerton)
1 hr via ferry.

Washington Veterans Home Retsil | WDVA

Harrison Hospital is great place to work too!
http://www.harrisonmedical.org/

Working @ VA will bring great benefits and free training opportunities.
Washington - Locations

Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
Stealth beat me to it. I was just going to say...my son lives in the Manette Community of East Bremerton. He pays about $850 per month for a 2 BR apartment. It's a 12 minute walk to the ferry...then about an hour on the ferry to the terminal in Seattle. No car hassle. If the new "foot ferry" becomes reality next summer, I think the ferry ride will be about 23-25 minutes.

And...his apartment is a 10-15 minute walk to Harrison Medical Center (although I hear they are moving their main operation to Silverdale).

Last edited by mrgoodwx; 01-01-2015 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: left off last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington