Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 PM

33 posts, read 54,286 times

Advertisements

Ok. I almost wish I had never gotten on City-Data to ask questions and look up information...I'm having information overload.

Here's my latest dilemma:

We have friends in Bellingham, Wa. with kids our own age. They see our posts on facebook about the area we currently live in and will constantly post back talking up Bellingham.

We currently live in Santa Rosa, Ca. Is anyone familiar with that city? It's in Sonoma County. The industry here is primarily made up of wine, restaurants, hotels, and Agilent tech. There is also a ton of work in architectural remodeling as the city keeps trying to get even more visitors to the area each year by rebuilding downtown areas and adding shops, etc.

The choice of good elementary schools is pretty great. The selection of good middle schools and high schools not so much. But I think that is changing.

I am a stay at home mom to three kids under 8 and work at a winery part time on the weekends. My husband is an Assistant Project Manager for a large design/build housing firm in Vallejo--it's 45min-1hour south of Santa Rosa.

Our rent here is too high for us--$1500 for a 2bdr/1ba. We are approved for a $350k home loan and cannot find a decent home. We would like 3 bedroom/2 bath for around $300k.

There is a possibility of a job transfer to the Washington area that would make it ok for us to choose any city as long as it was relatively near an airport.

This is what I've gathered so far about Washington:
Bellingham is beautiful but cold and the opportunities for jobs are slim.
North Tacoma is nice but it smells and the soil is toxic
Burien is cute
Puyallup is nice and farm-y
Bellvue is crazy expensive
Renton has a city atmosphere but cheaper than Seattle

We are a liberal family. We voted for Obama but are definitely more liberal than some of what he says that he stands for.

We currently live in an old/ghetto neighborhood because we wanted a cute craftsman home and a backyard with chickens. We love to have nature right out our back and front door.

We want to take the kids downtown to local shops, have a good library close by, be close to organic food shopping, great schools with higher learning opportunities, some good theatre, close to music...my husband is a progressive rock/grunge fanatic.

We don't mind the gray skies...but we know it's intense in western wa. I've stayed in Seattle for 3 months during the winter once..so I know what it's like to be in the gray. I have also been in Seattle during a hot summer month and found the contrast of weather beautiful.

Overall we want farm and city in one pretty little package for a good price

Where to move?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Have you looked at Monroe, Snohomish or Duvall? All are ruralish areas adjacent to the Seattle metro where you might find a $300-350K house if you persistently look with Monroe probably the most likely. Whether it's Sonoma or here, the reality is always going to be the same, the better locations, schools, amenities, etc. are going to be in areas that are more expensive. There are always going to be trade-offs. The difference is you will not find "ghetto" areas in Monroe but you will find plenty of chickens and a longer commute.

I just did a Redfin search in Monroe for 3/2 with $350K max and found 20:

https://www.redfin.com/city/11915/WA...market=seattle

Old 12-31-2014, 01:54 PM

33 posts, read 54,286 times
Wow, thanks! I had not thought to look in Monroe. I will check it out now

Old 12-31-2014, 03:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniExplorers View Post

This is what I've gathered so far about Washington:
Bellingham is beautiful but cold and the opportunities for jobs are slim.
North Tacoma is nice but it smells and the soil is toxic
Burien is cute
Puyallup is nice and farm-y
Bellvue is crazy expensive
Renton has a city atmosphere but cheaper than Seattle
I stopped the train here. All this time I thought you'd be asking about Bellingham, and then all these Seattle area suburbs were brought up.

Which is it? Are you looking to move to Bellingham, or greater Seattle? (hint: they are not near each other)

Old 12-31-2014, 04:55 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
With three kids under eight, I'd make schools your #1 priority. For good schools in somewhat reasonably priced neighborhoods/areas that are within commuting distance of Seattle and Bellevue, just going on what I've often read recommended on here:

* Bothell
* Issaquah
* Maple Valley (Tahoma School District)
* Puyallup

Puyallup would be the furthest commute to Seattle, but is a fairly easy commute to Tacoma.

Bellingham has a mix of good and not so good schools. Pay is relatively low, while housing prices are relatively high.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Good suggestions so far. I would definitely add Olympia. Good schools, lot's of activities for kids, broad cultural offerings, very liberal, affordable, etc...

Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Seacove gave you what I would consider to be the best options. Bellingham is pretty far out and gets even more rain. A friend moved their from Castro Valley, CA, built a custom house and only lasted 2 years before moving back to CA (Brentwood) due to the weather. Of those, Duvall is higher priced and smaller,
somewhat secluded. Monroe and Snohomish are an easier trip to the bigger cities and Seattle. Maple Valley might do for you too, but it depends on where his job transfer would be. Our commutes can be worse than Santa Rosa/Vallejo, just about as bad as San Rafael, or Walnut Creek/Lafayette but with less lanes on the freeways.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Have you looked at Monroe, Snohomish or Duvall? All are ruralish areas adjacent to the Seattle metro where you might find a $300-350K house if you persistently look with Monroe probably the most likely. Whether it's Sonoma or here, the reality is always going to be the same, the better locations, schools, amenities, etc. are going to be in areas that are more expensive. There are always going to be trade-offs. The difference is you will not find "ghetto" areas in Monroe but you will find plenty of chickens and a longer commute.

I just did a Redfin search in Monroe for 3/2 with $350K max and found 20:

https://www.redfin.com/city/11915/WA...market=seattle
Concern with Monroe, IME, is the difficulty navigating through that Hwy 2 and 520 junction mess when-needed. Monroe's out there, so to speak, in terms of commute times for accessing the primary employers.

One of our team's distributed vendor staff has (or had, at this point) a house in either Sultan or Goldbar, I don't recall which. Sure is nice, in terms of fresh air and "rural," but next to impossible to get anywhere quickly. Nor is there squat to do out there other than count the chickens. Hence the low prices. She works at home 4/5 days, now basically 5/5 unless absolutely necessary, which seems successful in her case.

I think OP is barking up the wrong tree all-around, if $1,500/month rent in SR is somehow "unaffordable." I'd do that math quite carefully before moving with a family from Santa Rosa to pretty much anywhere in WA State west of the Cascades. Just doesn't seem like a setup for success, moving from one situation to another and gaining....?

Of course, sometimes it works out, others not: I, too, am an economic migrant and got in at the right time to Seattle (apparently). Sometimes I miss NorCal, and chiefly regret that I can't be out riding motorcycles mostly year-round (like today, New Year's Day, when it's cold yet sunny and high-40s, after overnight freeze. Patches of ice, in the shade, all over the place: riding outside of town is thus very hazardous). I remember at least one memorable New Year's Eve ride in the mountains west side of Sonoma County, c. 1995, when it wasn't raining and warmed up to the low 60s. That being maybe 20 miles northwest of OP's location: Santa Rosa was my jumpoff/fuel point before the mountain riding, back in the day. I doubt the hills up 'round Lake Sonoma have changed much since.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
For your price range, I suggest Olympia, Bellingham or Duvall and maybe North Tacoma.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-olympia.html

Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Stick with Bellingham, or consider Olympia. Those are your best bets for satisfying all your criteria. Bellingham is no colder than Seattle or Olympia. It's very beautiful, though, and closer to nature. You can buy outside Bellingham, if you want to have nature in your backyard, and get a better price, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington