Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 52,635 times

Advertisements

I'm reposting this with a new heading, hoping to get replies. I am finding it hard to meet friends. I am a little over 50, live with my daughter and her husband while being a full time "Granny Nanny" for my adorable grandson. People say you can meet other singles at Church? I have gone to Church with them but the Church is predominatly young nice people who seem to all be young families. I just don't feel like I fit in. Church "families" have already been established and I get "hi's, and how are you" but I feel that is only proper unbringing. As for nightlife and getting out, I come from an age where proper women do not go out alone at night. It's scary anyway! I read a post where someone said to join one of those "Red Hat Society's" but I feel I'm kinda in the middle of the 'younger ladies' and 'older ladies' thing. I'd love to play Bunco...I'm working on finding a group around here. I don't want to put an ad in the paper for friends because then people get the wrong impression. I'm all woman..but I'd sure like to have a lady friend to pal around with and go out and MEET men while socializing. Any suggestions? I'm sure when the weather gets better, maybe I'll venture out more. I just stumbled on this website about a week ago and if there are any ladies in the S. Kitsap area that may be in the same situation as me, give me a reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM

115 posts, read 615,812 times
Here are a few suggestions you might consider:

Join a quilt group - they have ladies of all ages and once they know you are 'looking' I am sure they could help your search.

Also if you garden get involved with the Master Gardeners program (call a local nursery) - This would get you out and involved with both genders.

signed
not available - just thought my two cents worth might help

Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 32,539 times
Port Orchard is a small town and not a whole lot is going on. What are you interested in?
One poster mentioned gardening. They do have a Master Gardeners program. Check with P.O. Nursery or the CofC.

If the wine shop, just off Bay st. downtown, is still in business they have tasting parties.

The Assembly of God church on Lincoln and Mitchell use to have a pretty good group your age.

There is probably volunteer work available at Givens.

All summer long under the Gazebo at the west end of the foot ferry parking lot they have concerts.

All ways to meet like minded ladies your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorchardsweetheart View Post
I'm reposting this with a new heading, hoping to get replies. I am finding it hard to meet friends. I am a little over 50, live with my daughter and her husband while being a full time "Granny Nanny" for my adorable grandson. People say you can meet other singles at Church? I have gone to Church with them but the Church is predominatly young nice people who seem to all be young families. I just don't feel like I fit in. Church "families" have already been established and I get "hi's, and how are you" but I feel that is only proper unbringing. As for nightlife and getting out, I come from an age where proper women do not go out alone at night. It's scary anyway! I read a post where someone said to join one of those "Red Hat Society's" but I feel I'm kinda in the middle of the 'younger ladies' and 'older ladies' thing. I'd love to play Bunco...I'm working on finding a group around here. I don't want to put an ad in the paper for friends because then people get the wrong impression. I'm all woman..but I'd sure like to have a lady friend to pal around with and go out and MEET men while socializing. Any suggestions? I'm sure when the weather gets better, maybe I'll venture out more. I just stumbled on this website about a week ago and if there are any ladies in the S. Kitsap area that may be in the same situation as me, give me a reply.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 AM

Thank you so much for the replies...great ideas. Can't wait for better weather...I will be a lot more outgoing.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
don't wait for Master Gardener's if that is an option!!, training is during bad weather (like NOW)! Call the County Extension Service for info, under county 'gov' pages in phone book.

Other advice... don't focus on finding singles, but on getting engaged in activities you enjoy, and you will likely start meeting similar folks, rather than 'vultures' and potential misfits.

Classes and league sports are really good, including college classes and community ed. Join up in some hiking / kayaking / photo / nature / dance / activities, or even 'finance' or computer classes. Interesting people are often 'learners'

Bunco is a good lead, check for local groups and tournaments, or other similar things.

Get out as much as possible and explore. I'd be checking the local bulletin boards and attending gardening / cooking / crafting / historical society / travel groups / meetings just to check them out. I've always found the best friends out of 'chance', not intent.

You'll do fine, but stretch your ideas and stick fast to your values.

For church, I'd forget the regular meetings and singles groups, and get involved with a home fellowship, or Sunday school class, where you can actually develop a relationship, rather than 'shake-a-hand'. Our 'mixed-age' home fellowship groups have been the source of many great friends, and they often have great friends to expand your network in a safe fashion. We have enjoyed potlucks, camping, travel, kayaking, dancing, and community service activities with folks from fellowship groups.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM

Goodmorning,
I have read such good ideas, thank you to everyone responding. I called a few numbers yesterday on sewing classes. Does anyone know of a bunco group in Port Orchard? And I can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit. My middle name should be "go" because I love to explore.

For a little home based side job I am also a new 'trading assistant' for the #1 auction site (have learned not to mention the "E" name) and I'm trying to get it going but hit a stumbling block when trying to place an ad in the local paper. They responded with a denial, saying they will not run it-they say I'd be in direct competition with their classified section...never heard such a thing. No wonder I haven't seen any ad's of that nature. To tell readers what I do, I will assist people with marketing their auction articles when they either don't know how, don't want to know how or don't have the time to list and wait, package and send. Any suggestions there will be appreciated too. And yes, I'll be careful. No one to come to my home...etc.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 10,461 times
Quote:
Hi! Are you still out there? Just stumbled on your posting and it sounds like I could have written it my self.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,348 times
Default Hi --

So interesting! I am a young 50-year old living on Bainbridge Island! I have many (many) wonderful women friends...still single (by choice
I was just saying to my daughter that there must be so many other
single women out there ...and how I would love to make some good
new friends! I'm on my way out now ..meeting two women friends
for apps and wine. They are wonderful..but most married.
You can e-mail me at [EMAIL="JMLPENCE@aol.com"]JMLPENCE@aol.com[/EMAIL]. It would be fun to begin new friendships. I have been a racewalker/runner for 30 years..am very
into alternative, holistic health. Two kids grown...cute little Brussel
Griffon dog named Caesar (10 pounds). I love golf! Plese do feel
free to get in touch. I am into meeting new people, taking some classes
(cooking, Italian, etc)..and getting out there more. It's time! Marie

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,513 times
Default Kitsap Singles Group Bremerton is the answer :)

Quote:
[FONT=Arial Black]I'm reposting this with a new heading, hoping to get replies. I am finding it hard to meet friends. I am a little over 50, live with my daughter and her husband while being a full time "Granny Nanny" for my adorable grandson. People say you can meet other singles at Church? I have gone to Church with them but the Church is predominatly young nice people who seem to all be young families. I just don't feel like I fit in. Church "families" have already been established and I get "hi's, and how are you" but I feel that is only proper unbringing. As for nightlife and getting out, I come from an age where proper women do not go out alone at night. It's scary anyway! I read a post where someone said to join one of those "Red Hat Society's" but I feel I'm kinda in the middle of the 'younger ladies' and 'older ladies' thing. I'd love to play Bunco...I'm working on finding a group around here. I don't want to put an ad in the paper for friends because then people get the wrong impression. I'm all woman..but I'd sure like to have a lady friend to pal around with and go out and MEET men while socializing. Any suggestions? I'm sure when the weather gets better, maybe I'll venture out more. I just stumbled on this website about a week ago and if there are any ladies in the S. Kitsap area that may be in the same situation as me, give me a reply. [/FONT]
Here's the Singles Group you should probably look into... it's a Meetup.com group.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,712 times
I am also a single and 50. I have found 2 meetup groups that are active, welcoming, and are not solely a dating site...Kitsap Singles Group and Peninsula Boomer Zoomers. Both are meetup.com groups and have many overlapping members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington