Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,786,350 times

Advertisements

Right! Would be good to get an update. Particularly a current report on the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
well.....did they move to Sequim?

If you like cold, depressing weather, come to San Francisco in the Summer. Foggy, windy, and wonderful if you hate hot weather.
Sequim is nice, but definitely an old people's town. PT is like San Francisco, only the bums are more polite, and PA isnt like anywhere else. So you just have to see it. There is an amazing general store, i forget the name. But worth checking out. And that National Park is awesome.
The general store is Swain’s, in PA. PT used to have one but it closed and later opened as a co-op, called the Quimper Mercantile. Swain’s is much, much larger with a wider selection of practical goods. Quimper had an awful lot of tourist merchandise. Just sayin’...

Old 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM

6,092 posts, read 3,317,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right! Would be good to get an update. Particularly a current report on the weather.

January 6th and the weather is sunny and over 50 degrees, which it has been consistent for a couple weeks now although we did get almost a half inch of rain Friday night.

No snow this year and I hope it continues. Actually Sequim has have a very mild winter but the mountains above us has a big snow pack which is good for summer water needs. I believe the skiing season at the ridge started about mid December.
Rain for 2018 in Sequim was below normal at about 14 inches while PA was just under 30 (fourteen miles apart) Actually the Sequim rain fall is collected at Carlsborg (Greywolf elementary school) which is 3 miles closer to PA.

For example Forks which is about 90 miles west of Sequim got nearly 100 inches of rain which was below normal. I think their average is closer to 120 inches.
Don't pay attention of the Sequim nay sayers as we get plenty of sun. After all we live in a marine time climate. A climate that has cacti.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:03 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
January 6th and the weather is sunny and over 50 degrees, which it has been consistent for a couple weeks now although we did get almost a half inch of rain Friday night.

No snow this year and I hope it continues. Actually Sequim has have a very mild winter but the mountains above us has a big snow pack which is good for summer water needs. I believe the skiing season at the ridge started about mid December.
Rain for 2018 in Sequim was below normal at about 14 inches while PA was just under 30 (fourteen miles apart) Actually the Sequim rain fall is collected at Carlsborg (Greywolf elementary school) which is 3 miles closer to PA.

For example Forks which is about 90 miles west of Sequim got nearly 100 inches of rain which was below normal. I think their average is closer to 120 inches.
Don't pay attention of the Sequim nay sayers as we get plenty of sun. After all we live in a marine time climate. A climate that has cacti.

Don't show me cacti. I'm planning to move to the area to get away from the SW, its drought, its cacti. (and its chili peppers!! )

It's funny; I had some guests from Russia in Santa Fe. They were fascinated, hiking around my property on the edge of town. They said that cacti grow on my property like weeds, back home. I'd never noticed, but they were right; there are little cacti sprouting up everywhere. To them, of course, it was the height of exotic flora.

I think, once the NW starts sprouting cacti, we're really in big trouble, climate change-wise.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,411,146 times
Quote:

Don't pay attention of the Sequim nay sayers as we get plenty of sun.

LOL!!!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Don't show me cacti. I'm planning to move to the area to get away from the SW, its drought, its cacti. (and its chili peppers!! )
I think, once the NW starts sprouting cacti, we're really in big trouble, climate change-wise.

The cacti has been around the Dungeness for thousands of years and I am almost sure chili peppers and Mexican food aren't native.
Occasionally we do get a slight drought when the winter snow pack in the Olympics is low. Never seen a water restriction in Sequim however...did in PA a couple years ago. I think it happened the first year the dams were removed on Elwha River, which is the PA city water source.

The temperate in the Sequim area rarely raises above 90 and below 30 so I think you won't confuse the Sequim area with NM. Rain fall in NM and Sequim is not that much different.

Gee and we in the state also have plenty of rattlesnakes but only on the east side of the Cascades.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
LOL!!!

Sunny but cool this morning. Just a few lazy clouds drifting by.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,411,146 times
Raining and cloudy in Sequim yesterday, as it is most of the winter in western Washington.

I don’t live in Sequim, but I sometimes shop there, as I did yesterday.

This was the first day on the Olympic Peninsula that there has been any sun for, I would say, before the holidays.

The “sunny Sequim” myth, I was told, was started by business owners who wanted to attract more tourists during the winter months. So, if the sun peeks out for about 5 minutes, then goes behind the clouds, that is considered a sunny day in the winter in Sequim. You go to work and come from work in the dark in the winter months.

Sequim is like all of western Washington in winter in that it’s usually overcast, gray, dark, late sunrise &/early sunset. (Look at the latitude). There is rain, maybe a little less than Port Angeles to the west. Every now and then, a dusting of snow...but it’s only a dusting if you’re in the flatlands (where the cacti are). If you go up in elevation, even slightly into the foothills of the Olympics, there is more snow, ice and rain exponentially.

The brief sun episodes of winter sun in Sequim are a short respite from clouds, but it’s not sunbathing weather.

Sequim gets lots of warm sunshine during the beautiful, long Washington summers. But in the winter...no.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Raining and cloudy in Sequim yesterday, as it is most of the winter in western Washington.

I don’t live in Sequim, but I sometimes shop there, as I did yesterday.

This was the first day on the Olympic Peninsula that there has been any sun for, I would say, before the holidays.

The “sunny Sequim” myth, I was told, was started by business owners who wanted to attract more tourists during the winter months. So, if the sun peeks out for about 5 minutes, then goes behind the clouds, that is considered a sunny day in the winter in Sequim. You go to work and come from work in the dark in the winter months.

Sequim is like all of western Washington in winter in that it’s usually overcast, gray, dark, late sunrise &/early sunset. (Look at the latitude). There is rain, maybe a little less than Port Angeles to the west. Every now and then, a dusting of snow...but it’s only a dusting if you’re in the flatlands (where the cacti are). If you go up in elevation, even slightly into the foothills of the Olympics, there is more snow, ice and rain exponentially.

The brief sun episodes of winter sun in Sequim are a short respite from clouds, but it’s not sunbathing weather.

Sequim gets lots of warm sunshine during the beautiful, long Washington summers. But in the winter...no.

I see this attitude^^ a lot from ex-Californians.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:35 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
I see this attitude^^ a lot from ex-Californians.
I didn't view her post as an "attitude", but as a factual, realistic report. There's nothing inherently bad about a long season of mostly overcast days. I say this as a Californian who lived in the NW for over 20 years (and may return). I moved to the NW for more variety in the weather than CA provides; specifically--some overcast and rain. I was unfazed by the overcast winters. And with summer conditions now extending well into spring, people have even less to complain about, unless one wants to complain and fret (justified, IMO) about the effects of climate change on weather and the water supply.

But I think a post like happygrrrl's is needed for a reality check, a balance against overly-positive posts, for people considering a move to the area. I can totally relate to being exhilarated at the sunny days that provide a nice break in the winter, but I think we should give prospective future residents a realistic view. I didn't find happygrrrl's post unduly negative--just realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington