Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM

176 posts, read 202,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
To be fair, I don't agree with much of what Tina Mills and emouse are saying, that's why I've stayed out of this thread.

And certainly Hispanics are not the SOLE source of the problems in Yakima.

But to ignore the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of Yakima's crime is at least indirectly related to Hispanic immigration, is ignorantly putting-up politically-correct blinders concerning the issues at hand.

http://jvcnorthwest.org/wp-content/u...sment-2012.pdf

This study does not specifically address overall crime in Yakima, but pretty much overtly states that the majority of crime is gang-related, and that almost all gang members are Hispanic.
I'll second that. It is overly simplistic and somewhat racist to assume that illegal immigrants or Hispanics in general are the only causes of crime and other social ills.

But it's also ridiculous to claim that illegal immigration (mostly driven by migrants from Latin America) doesn't place a strain on resources and public services. We are in this kind of bizarre place in America where we are supposed to ignore what we see all around us lest we be deemed racists. The fact is that areas (like Yakima) that are heavily impacted by illegal immigration tend to have more issues with gangs, vandalism, and violent crime. However, political correctness dictates that we're supposed to pretend that none of it is happening.

I think this is the main reason that so many people are currently supporting a complete moron like Donald Trump. Sure, he's completely unqualified to be President, but he is talking about an issue that resonates for a lot of people, even if he is talking about it in a ham-handed racist fashion.

It may not be PC to say so, but the crime rate in Yakima does tend to correlate to the ethnic composition of the neighborhood. That's not to say that all Hispanics engage in criminal behavior. Just an acknowledgement of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:16 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
I'll second that. It is overly simplistic and somewhat racist to assume that illegal immigrants or Hispanics in general are the only causes of crime and other social ills.

But it's also ridiculous to claim that illegal immigration (mostly driven by migrants from Latin America) doesn't place a strain on resources and public services. We are in this kind of bizarre place in America where we are supposed to ignore what we see all around us lest we be deemed racists. The fact is that areas (like Yakima) that are heavily impacted by illegal immigration tend to have more issues with gangs, vandalism, and violent crime. However, political correctness dictates that we're supposed to pretend that none of it is happening.

I think this is the main reason that so many people are currently supporting a complete moron like Donald Trump. Sure, he's completely unqualified to be President, but he is talking about an issue that resonates for a lot of people, even if he is talking about it in a ham-handed racist fashion.

It may not be PC to say so, but the crime rate in Yakima does tend to correlate to the ethnic composition of the neighborhood. That's not to say that all Hispanics engage in criminal behavior. Just an acknowledgement of reality.
Good post.

Slightly off-topic here - I am a conservative, but have never been a fan of Donald Trump. He flaunts his reputation and money, and he's crass and unpolished. But, despite my own best judgment, I've been thinking lately that he might just be dumb enough to actually accomplish some things that the typical D.C. politician can't...

Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
I have lived in Ellensburg for eleven years. In that time, I have had thousands of dollars of things stolen from me and more than one known sex offender in close contact with my family before we found out. I travel to Yakima 4-5 days per week. I have never felt unsafe in Yakima or had anything stolen from me there. In fact, only once have I felt uneasy about another person in the city. My kids' dentist is there and I have a few friends who live there and love it. I'm sick of getting all my stuff taken from me in a town that is supposed to be safer basically because it is predominantly white. I lived in NC only two houses from an actual crack house. No one ever touched my stuff and I left all doors unlocked all the time. I have had three vehicles, multiple jobs, and one residence broken into here in the safe haven of Eburg. I am out of here and I am moving to the place where for the last 11 years I actually felt safe. We had a stabbing just two blocks from my house and have had multiple murders in Eburg since Ive been here. Yet all my friends say "don't move to Yakima....it's so dangerous." B.S. Having lived in a suburb of Charlotte and Ellensburg I think you guys just need to be more honest about why you are so afraid.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
To be fair, I don't agree with much of what Tina Mills and emouse are saying, that's why I've stayed out of this thread.

And certainly Hispanics are not the SOLE source of the problems in Yakima.

But to ignore the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of Yakima's crime is at least indirectly related to Hispanic immigration, is ignorantly putting-up politically-correct blinders concerning the issues at hand.

http://jvcnorthwest.org/wp-content/u...sment-2012.pdf

This study does not specifically address overall crime in Yakima, but pretty much overtly states that the majority of crime is gang-related, and that almost all gang members are Hispanic.
Just like Los Angeles, Phoenix...Hmmmm....

Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 PM

226 posts, read 303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickoftheBS View Post
I have lived in Ellensburg for eleven years. In that time, I have had thousands of dollars of things stolen from me and more than one known sex offender in close contact with my family before we found out. I travel to Yakima 4-5 days per week. I have never felt unsafe in Yakima or had anything stolen from me there. In fact, only once have I felt uneasy about another person in the city. My kids' dentist is there and I have a few friends who live there and love it. I'm sick of getting all my stuff taken from me in a town that is supposed to be safer basically because it is predominantly white. I lived in NC only two houses from an actual crack house. No one ever touched my stuff and I left all doors unlocked all the time. I have had three vehicles, multiple jobs, and one residence broken into here in the safe haven of Eburg. I am out of here and I am moving to the place where for the last 11 years I actually felt safe. We had a stabbing just two blocks from my house and have had multiple murders in Eburg since Ive been here. Yet all my friends say "don't move to Yakima....it's so dangerous." B.S. Having lived in a suburb of Charlotte and Ellensburg I think you guys just need to be more honest about why you are so afraid.

There were two murders in Ellensburg from 2002-2014 and four registered sex offenders as of 2016. But keep trolling.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
There were two murders in Ellensburg from 2002-2014 and four registered sex offenders as of 2016. But keep trolling.
Yep. E-burg has one of the lowest crime rates in the state. Just goes to show that anyone can make up and/or skew anything to make it suit their agenda.

That's why most of these exaggerated editorial comments are pointless - just look at all the "crime is terrible" posts in the Spokane sub-forum.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

69 posts, read 60,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Just like Los Angeles, Phoenix...Hmmmm....
It's the gang culture that has become a family tradition with many Hispanics. Sadly I don't see them making any effort to break the cycle.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Yakima is the NW's Albuquerque. I personally think ABQ is an awesome city.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Yakima is not on the FBIs top 100 highest crime (per capita) cities. It was at one time but not in recent years. There's lots of crime here but its overstated. Not as bad as the perception.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Yakima is not on the FBIs top 100 highest crime (per capita) cities. It was at one time but not in recent years. There's lots of crime here but its overstated. Not as bad as the perception.

The only time I have been to Yakima was on October 1, 1999. My wife, son and I went to the Yakima County Fair to see Foghat. Rod Price wasn't on that tour, Bryan Bassett was on the lead and slide (he still is in Foghat), Tony Stevens was on the bass (their original bass player) and Roger Earl on the drums (original and only Foghat drummer). Well, we went to the show, loved it and watched Foghat play again at 9:00PM. The first show was at 5:00PM.

We watched both shows, were blown away and loved it very much. Afterwards we got on the gondola and it took us over the fair site - that was also fun. We had reservations at a hotel in town because we lived in Burlington, WA, at the time, which was clear over on the other side of the state in Skagit County, so, we didn't think we could make the drive all the way back home after the show.

Long story short on the night's sleep after the show - we were lucky if we got 3-4 hours of sleep - a couple staying in the room next door were drinking and/or doing drugs, and I mean really doing alcohol and/or drugs! The more they imbibed the more they fought. And they fought, and fought, and yelled, and screamed. I called the lobby and told them about it - they said they'd do something about it, but nothing became of it. Yakima's hotels were booked solid - we could not go to any other hotel. I thought of asking for our money back in the morning, but we just wanted ta get back home to Burlington the next day. Whew. Great rock show - lousy hotel stay. Should I adversely judge Yakima from this one experience? I think not. But, nonetheless, well, ahh...you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington