Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 16,077 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to get up into even wetter weather than the coast of Oregon. Or rather. I have not encountered...well, I would just like to.

I see Aberdeen rentals and they look super nice, and then I check out Google Street View and the house next door might look a teeny bit boarded up or a teeny bit tin foil on the windows.

I understand it went through the whole timber industry thing, and depressed economy. Sad, cause it looks like it was such a neat place.

Anyway,

If a fairly broken person who has fixed income and won't be seeking anything more than online work wants to find a safe place in that general region (that would be me) where is the safest bet? I would love to use public transport even though the cabins in the woods are like..a dream come true for a crabby old lady like me, but I can't afford to keep a car running.

Well, that was a story.

So: Allows kitties, generally (more often than not), has decent public transportation or even little dial a ride services for disabled, and not dangerous because I can't afford new things.

Wet is good. Love wet weather. Turns out I have Raynauds, so unfortunately I may not be able to do snow, but I am willing to lose some digits for the right place.

Access to vets, doctors, umm...okay, crazy people doctors. etc etc.

Rents under $600

Bellingham is awesome, but I understand that while rent is cheap everything is not because of those darn Canadians stealing our booze and wimmens. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:41 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,288,558 times
Rent was cheap in Bellingham at one time, but no longer.

Aberdeen and Hoquiam are separated by one street. Basically one town, two governments.

"Rents under $600" is not generally consistent with "not dangerous because I can't afford new things". Basically, poverty and crime are correlates, and Aberdeen-Hoquiam have plenty of both. Still, it is mostly petty property crime by meth and other addicts. Gray's Harbor Transit is spotty, although it will get you out to the ocean beaches and back, as well as to Olympia - Greyhound no longer serves Aberdeen-Hoquiam, which probably say's something.

Are you 62 or older? To find HUD- and other-subsidized apartments throughout the state (including in Westport, if you still have a hankering for wet weather) with rents set at 30% of income (minus medical expenses), see:

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

Many of these properties say they are available to "seniors and disabled," but in practice very few of their apartments are pegged for the disabled, and almost all of those are occupied.

If you are under 62 and can't snag one of the few "disabled" apartments, an alternative ($600 and under) might be found here:

seattle apts/housing for rent "International District" - craigslist

These are converted hotel rooms, with bathroom/shower, fridge, sink, microwave, and two-burner cooktop. While the ID is not completely safe, it is probably a good deal safer than Aberdeen-Hoquiam. There are excellent transit and dial-a-ride services available, and plenty of readily accessible medical/mental health services.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-19-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 09:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,774,933 times
For what you would pay for a closet with a bed and running water in the population cesspool of Seattle, you could rent a whole house in the costal paradise of Grays Harbor.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
For what you would pay for a closet with a bed and running water in the population cesspool of Seattle, you could rent a whole house in the costal paradise of Grays Harbor.
"Population cesspool of Seattle"? Come now...

Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,484,084 times
Was in Aberdeen on business & took the time to drive up in the hills of Aberdeen & Hoquiam...some seriously beautiful old houses up there...a few beat & abandoned but many occupied & beautiful, particularly Hoquiam..great architecture, Victorian, Craftsman, Depression-era & 40's-50's bungalows..don't know a thing about their history, price or availability but they are lovely...

Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM

268 posts, read 364,222 times
Yes, there are some nice trees and houses in the hills of Aberdeen. However, medical care was mentioned in the question. Well, now Tom and Renee K. Jensen have the Grays Harbor county medical market cornered. It seems that Canfield's House of Horrors needs "rebranding". It might work well to attract tourists for a Halloween circus.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Similar to many hospitals in depressed small-town/rural areas these days. The linked article above does point to some areas of potential improvement:

* Conversion to a public health district, improving transparency and, hopefully, quality of care, in that physician reviews/discipline will be part of the public record.

* Expansion of their mission and possible levy to support it. Rebranding - from "hospital" to "medical center"? SW Washington Regional Medical Center? The only other hospitals on the coast are small ones, at Long Beach and Forks.

* Benefitting from the ACA Medicaid expansion, which should help reduce current losses. There is a large part of the local population (working poor, seniors, etc.) that could benefit.

Otherwise, the closest general hospitals are in Olympia: Capitol Medical Center, Providence, Group Health.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 16,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Rent was cheap in Bellingham at one time, but no longer.

Aberdeen and Hoquiam are separated by one street. Basically one town, two governments.

"Rents under $600" is not generally consistent with "not dangerous because I can't afford new things". Basically, poverty and crime are correlates, and Aberdeen-Hoquiam have plenty of both. Still, it is mostly petty property crime by meth and other addicts. Gray's Harbor Transit is spotty, although it will get you out to the ocean beaches and back, as well as to Olympia - Greyhound no longer serves Aberdeen-Hoquiam, which probably say's something.

Are you 62 or older? To find HUD- and other-subsidized apartments throughout the state (including in Westport, if you still have a hankering for wet weather) with rents set at 30% of income (minus medical expenses), see:

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

Many of these properties say they are available to "seniors and disabled," but in practice very few of their apartments are pegged for the disabled, and almost all of those are occupied.

If you are under 62 and can't snag one of the few "disabled" apartments, an alternative ($600 and under) might be found here:

seattle apts/housing for rent "International District" - craigslist

These are converted hotel rooms, with bathroom/shower, fridge, sink, microwave, and two-burner cooktop. While the ID is not completely safe, it is probably a good deal safer than Aberdeen-Hoquiam. There are excellent transit and dial-a-ride services available, and plenty of readily accessible medical/mental health services.
I didn't even know anyone had responded. Thanks for all of the info. I am under 62, but am disabled, but I am also bothered by noise, so that limits my options more than other people.
I guess I just got lucky(??) finding a small town where the crime is still small, but it is very limited. Looks like I'll be sticking around here until I can get it together to get a part time job from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington