Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 PM

17 posts, read 94,278 times

Advertisements

Really having a hard time deciding where to start looking for housing. Every town seems to have an interesting personality. I do like Port Townsend best I think because of the art scene, but it seems kind of on the high side $$$ right? Also, is there ANY place on the Sound that doesn't have a big military presence? I'm really not crazy about that aspect of living in the area. I want to stay near the water and some shopping, but could easily do without all those military families moving in and out all the time - makes for a very transient kind of feeling and I like older, more established (even historical) ambience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Not really, I thought long and hard before moving here myself, because you know this area of the US would be high on any hostile nation's list of potential targets for nuclear attack.

There are towns with less, and towns with more, but no towns with no military influence. However, there are places where there are fewer military transients. Just identify the major bases and the major highways leading to/from them, and limit your search to places with a longer commute to/from those bases, say more than 20 miles. You can already kind of tell by looking at where the highways drop from four lanes to two.

It's too hard to make a more specific recommendation than that.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
I don't understand why people are saying on this forum lately, that Port Townsend is expensive. Aside from Sequim and Port Angeles, I've found it to be the most affordable in the general area, with the possible exception of even smaller towns (Pts. Ludlow and Hadlock). Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand why people are saying on this forum lately, that Port Townsend is expensive. Aside from Sequim and Port Angeles, I've found it to be the most affordable in the general area, with the possible exception of even smaller towns (Pts. Ludlow and Hadlock). Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.
The housing in downtown PT is priced close to what you'd expect to pay in Seattle. I have a hard time believing Sequim or Port Angeles support prices that high.

Old, kind of junky 2 bed 1.5 bath 1600 sq ft for $475K - that's around 300/sq ft, around what it would cost in Ballard.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Port-Towns.../home/36055091

$795K for 1800 sq ft? $437/sq ft? It's a stylish house on a decent size lot, but that is pretty pricey. I've seen similar houses out in Issaquah or Sammamish for a quarter mil less...

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Port-Towns.../home/40083652

Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Transient Military Neighbors are not generally a problem outside of the 4-5 areas near bases / Shipyards. Many of those have great established neighborhoods with plenty of military retirees.

to be safe...
Bellingham and North... (you might really like Birch Bay)

Any of the islands except Whidbey.

Port Angeles and west
Olympia area and west

Old 03-27-2015, 04:59 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The housing in downtown PT is priced close to what you'd expect to pay in Seattle. I have a hard time believing Sequim or Port Angeles support prices that high.

Old, kind of junky 2 bed 1.5 bath 1600 sq ft for $475K - that's around 300/sq ft, around what it would cost in Ballard.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Port-Towns.../home/36055091

$795K for 1800 sq ft? $437/sq ft? It's a stylish house on a decent size lot, but that is pretty pricey. I've seen similar houses out in Issaquah or Sammamish for a quarter mil less...

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Port-Towns.../home/40083652
Rents are comparatively low. You're talking about buying? I've found some really nice homes for rent, 2 br. + bonus room or space, for around 300K, near Ft. Worden. There's a nice development there, beautiful woodworking in these homes that have been labeled "condos", for some reason. There are many good deals around Pt Townsend. Downtown housing is usually more expensive in any town. And some of those downtown homes are historic Victorians.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,178 times
I don't know of any area in the entire Puget Sound region that doesn't have a huge military presence. The choppers are getting outrageous. I don't know of any areas they DON'T fly over, oftentimes late at night and low, but surely chime in if any of you do.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,406,555 times
What exactly is the problem with a military present?
Try Costa Rica with a large American population. ..they don't have a standing army.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:29 PM

57 posts, read 143,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
What exactly is the problem with a military present?
Try Costa Rica with a large American population. ..they don't have a standing army.
This. I get that you said you'd prefer a less transient neighborhood, but how fortunate for you that all of these damn transient military members and their families do move around so you have the freedom to be so exclusive.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM

22 posts, read 26,193 times
What about Poulsbo? I've found it to be very quaint, even near the Safeway and Super Walmart. Certainly, those stores get a few military families in to shop, but even during Christmas shopping time, it wasn't bad. The whole shopping corridor on SR 305 isn't nearly as crazy as the other side (think Lynnwood/Shoreline) even on a busy day. My wife and I looking in Kingston - we'll have some solitude, be near the water, and can venture into Poulsbo when needed for the big stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington