Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,307,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98346 View Post
I currently live in Michigan where the speed limit is 70. Realistically, traffic rarely moves below 80, even during higher volume traffic times. It can be downright scary, and I'm not a timid driver. About a year ago, I sold my motorcycle because I wasn't comfortable mixing it up with inattentive drivers, minimally-regulated commercial trucks, and less than ideally maintained cars. Before moving here, I commuted by motorcycle daily in Los Angeles - El Segundo (LAX area) to near Pomona (inland). That felt safer to me than it did here. When we visit Washington, especially Seattle, I love the 60 MPH speed limit, especially on a bike.

Just take a look at the number of traffic related deaths between Michigan and Washington - I wonder if the difference is speed related?
Note the highlighted portion of your comment. You have no clue, I challenge you to name a more highly regulated transportation sector... you cannot do it, because there is none, not one, anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM

520 posts, read 531,266 times
Who folllows the speed limits in this state anyway? I never have and they are too low everywhere. Invest in a good radar detector.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM

5,409 posts, read 7,685,948 times
There's always Texas where it's 85 on the toll roads between Austin and San Antonio

Old 05-05-2015, 05:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,831,654 times
75 is completely acceptable, IMO, from George, WA to outside of Spokane on I-90. Maybe a slowdown near Moses Lake, but other than that mini-metro, it is basically a straight highway.

W. Washington may be a different animal. Putting 75 in place south of Olympia to outside of Vancouver would be questionable in my mind, mainly due to 65 out of Oregon (actually 55 out of Portland, then an increase to 70 outside of Vancouver that exists now) Could create some pent up speeding by Oregonians, and many W. Washingtonians who simply won't drive at the limit, both above and below. I would start with I-90, then look at I-82 from Ellensburg to outside of Umatilla, OR.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,263,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
75 is completely acceptable, IMO, from George, WA to outside of Spokane on I-90. Maybe a slowdown near Moses Lake, but other than that mini-metro, it is basically a straight highway.

W. Washington may be a different animal. Putting 75 in place south of Olympia to outside of Vancouver would be questionable in my mind, mainly due to 65 out of Oregon (actually 55 out of Portland, then an increase to 70 outside of Vancouver that exists now) Could create some pent up speeding by Oregonians, and many W. Washingtonians who simply won't drive at the limit, both above and below. I would start with I-90, then look at I-82 from Ellensburg to outside of Umatilla, OR.
I agree with you. Western WA's traffic would likely be scary if the limits were much higher. But I-90 in Eastern WA is nearly identical to the rural freeways in other western states that already have much higher speed limits.

Is Inslee taking this into account, or is he doing the typical Washington politician thing - only caring about the constituents that he can see from the Space Needle?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,194,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Who folllows the speed limits in this state anyway? I never have and they are too low everywhere. Invest in a good radar detector.
You can always spot the native Seattleites, they do not follow the speed limit, but rather treat it as an unreachable speed which they seem to never arrive within even 5mph of...in the left lane.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,831,654 times
Yeah, this has been a problem for decades. However, I see some progress in the last few years. State police actually ticketing drivers for upholding traffic, and many who simply drive around the slow-pokes, not exactly the safest plan, but it does make a point. And if you signal, you actually are doing it legally as long as you are not at an aggressive speed.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,357,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Or does he think that Washingtonians need to be baby-sat more than citizens of other states?
Do you know of any big government democrat that doesn't think the citizens need government babysitters?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,810,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
angelinogirl~ You know the most nanny/police state is California. For the 2014 year, California passed over 800 new laws. Washington enacted 11, I believe.

It's difficult going 60 mph on the freeways here in Washington, at least it is if you're used to driving in so California.

If you go over 65, you stand out because everyone is doing 60. Easy for the State Troopers to pick you off.

Where the speed limit in so cal is 65, most people drive at 75. Some faster.
Everyone is doing 60? Seriously? Between Olympia and Everett 10 over is normal when traffic is moving freely, as it is here in the Portland/Vancouver area. I remember getting tailgated all the time when doing 70 in a 60 zone on I-5 through South Seattle when I lived up there. And as soon as they could they'd pass me at 75-80. It seems like traffic slows near the I-5 exits/on-ramps to some of the small towns south of Olympia like Centralia and Kalama, but most I-5 drivers seem to keep their speed up pretty well.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,811,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Gov. Inslee puts brakes on 75 mph speed limit

I can see the prudence in wanting more studies done to prove the safety of increasing speed, but it's not as if this is a first-in-the-nation kind of law. There are plenty of other states that have much higher speed limits than WA:

Speed limit laws

It would seem like many of those states with higher speed limit laws have already done some kind of safety studies (I will have to search for them when I have time) - can't Inslee just look those up?

Or does he think that Washingtonians need to be baby-sat more than citizens of other states?

P.S. Interestingly, Oregon has the second-slowest speed limits in the country. Maybe that's part of Inslee's motivation - since WA and OR have recently been as monkey-see-monkey-do as any two states can be?
Maybe you can be next...no pumping your own gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington