Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum and this is my first post so I apologize if I posted this wrong.

I just got a job offer in Seattle and they are offering me a very good deal so I have accepted it and started planning my move to Seattle. I am currently working in NJ so I am putting my two weeks in this week.

I have a very tiny studio and the biggest furniture I have is two 3'x4' ikea book shelves, a full size bed frame, bike, and that's it. Everything else I have can be put into boxes and taken apart to minimize space. I have been researching so many different trucking companies but they are trying to charge me 1200-1800, which the gap is sketchy. I can't afford to be scammed and I am trying to figure out the best affordable and easiest way to make this transition.

I will be driving my car to Seattle but was thinking about getting a dolly to put my furniture in but don't know if a Honda Civic can take that weight. I was also thinking of shipping the light stuff since it will be way cheaper and faster. I just need to figure out how to get the big furniture. I was thinking of selling them but I need the bed frame and the bike and I can't really afford to get new stuff right now.

Does someone have any advice for me? This is the first time moving so far so I want to make sure I get a good deal and make the right choice. I have googled all sorts of ways but my mind is blank now that it's really happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:57 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
May wish to ask Mods to move this to Seattle forum.

Awesome. Hope the "very good deal" accounted for housing costs in Seattle, though how much worse could it be vs. NJ. Depends where in NJ, perhaps. They're not moving you, huh? Tsk tsk.

I've never heard of a cross-country move for $1,200-1,800. Would have thought more like $8-10K, for a multi-room house. Not that you have that situation, but just saying there is always worse. Anything involving labor in this county is expensive anymore, seems to me.

Might want to back of envelope what it costs to drive all that 3K miles vs. shipping. Shipping for that kind of low cost sounds like a bargain at that stage.

Next option is to Craig's List everything you own out the door for $.20 on the dollar and re-buy in Seattle. That, too, is a back of envelope calculation, comparing/contrasting various options. Would strongly suspect just shipping what is necessary is probably the better way to go, and either driving or hauling the car cross-county (toss-up, given three or four days of lodging or more).

Mildly curious where you're going to come up with First, Last, and deposit in this uber competitive rental and real estate market though presumably that's budgeted in already. Hope you've got corporate housing awhile first, though necessity is the mother of invention if-not. Far cry from when I moved here: found about six complexes with places for rent, based on recommendations from my recruiter, and flew in two weeks prior and made a decision on the spot. Thus I had a place to stay when I showed up with a rental truck (that I drove, but the company paid for, saving me a couple grand). Much easier rental situation some years ago, but the theory is sound.

Good luck, sounds like a challenge. Must say, I've never moved that far in one fell swoop (grin).

Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,896,703 times
OMG, I recently tried to stuff all into my Toyota Camry and it wasn't pretty. I ended up throwing a lot of stuff out.

But beyond that, congrats on your move. You will be in some of the best weather in the country during the summer. Just be prepared for the cloudy, rainy winter.

Moving is a pain in the rear, I get it. My only advice would be to discard stuff that isn't important. You can always do the Uhaul train, and your Honda probably could handle it, depending on its condition and age.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,356,333 times
I am a native of New Jersey(Exit 8) and have been in the Seattle area 37 years. There aren't a lot of New Jerseyans in Seattle, so you'll be increasing the population of us by 25% or something.
If it costs that much to ship your stuff here, maybe it would be best to ship some stuff via Fedex, stuff your car with some stuff, and sell/give away/throw out other stuff. If you're going to live in a studio, it won't cost that much to replace it.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,896,703 times
Ira is right on the mark. Sell, throw out, and move on!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,099 times
I am also a Jersey native living in Seattle. I believe I paid about $1200 when I moved out here 12 years ago. I didn't have to move a whole house, just my clothes, bed and some living room furniture.

Ira is right - there aren't many of us out here and I'm always happy when I meet someone from back home. Seattle is beautiful (and the summers are glorious), but I am considering a move back east because Seattle just doesn't feel like home to me.

I would sell as much as possible and start over. You can always get inexpensive but fairly durable stuff at Ikea until you're better able to furnish things just as you want. Best of luck to you! You are really coming at the best time of the year.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM

731 posts, read 936,606 times
Ikea stuff does not move well. Sell your big items and purchase used (or new at Ikea) when you get out here. This is yard sale season, so you may be able to get some great prices on items. You can get a super cheap bed at Ikea or even used. I got my last mattress from the "As Is" section at Ikea. They have such a generous return policy on new mattresses that they get returned quite a bit. They are half price once returned, but you can't return it. Also check craigslist, as many people move back out of here and sell their stuff.

Books can be shipped through media mail cheaper than hauling.

If it's going to cost you over a $1000 to move your furniture, you are so much better off replacing.

If you love your bike, or paid a lot for it, you might package up the frame and have it shipped and put the rest of the parts in your car. Bikes are costly out here, even used. Or get a bike rack and bring it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: