Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

This house is located in central Washington. According to the lease for this house, the tenant is required to repaint upon move-out, irregardless of the length of tenancy. I lived in the house for one year and 10 months. Even with that clause in the lease, can the landlord require me pay for the entire repaint of the house, including what can be considered normal wear and tear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Pay for it, or do it yourself, unless the lease specifies paying for it. You signed the lease, there is nothing illegal about that clause. Very unusual, yes, but perfectly legal.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:23 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Did you read it before you signed it?

I'm assuming you mean the inside. What condition was it in when you moved in?

Does it specify the paint brand, color, number of coats, quality standards, etc. If not, buy the cheapest and ugliest surplus paint (navy gray?), dilute it, slap on one runny coat, and then call it a job well done...

Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
You need to talk to someone who has legal expertise with this stuff.

Washington state has a whole RCW for tenants rights, and many of those are rights that can't be taken away, even if you sign a lease that says the opposite. For example, a landlord can't enforce a clause in a lease that says that the landlord can show-up at any time, without giving you notice. That clause would be illegal. Or, the landlord can't put a clause in the lease that says that you are waiving your legal tenant's rights.

RCW 59.18.230: Waiver of chapter provisions prohibited

Contrary to some of the posts above - just because it says so in the lease, and you signed it, actually does NOT necessarily mean that you are out of luck.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:54 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timel0rd View Post
......., can the landlord require me pay for the entire repaint of the house, including what can be considered normal wear and tear?
Probably. You made an arrangement where your rental amount you paid included painting the house. I assume that was fine with you at the time you wanted the house and signed the contract. It's a bit too late to change your mind now that you no longer want the house.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Unless painting the house (inside or outside) is in return for getting a reduced rent, I don't see that any judge would enforce that clause, especially if you return the property in the condition you received it. You'll probably have to sue in small claims court to get your deposit and last month back, however.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Probably. You made an arrangement where your rental amount you paid included painting the house. I assume that was fine with you at the time you wanted the house and signed the contract. It's a bit too late to change your mind now that you no longer want the house.
I don't think so. I think a landlord would be hard-pressed to prove in court that the walls needed re-painting for reasons other than wear-and-tear (which is illegal to require the tenant to pay for). If it is not legal under the RCW, the tenant can sign anything the landlord puts in front of him, and the landlord still won't able to enforce it.

Unless the tenant turned the house into a meth lab, or the tenant's toddler finger-painted on the walls, or something, then I think the OP has a good case to get out of this. Again, though, I'm not a lawyer.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:53 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timel0rd View Post
This house is located in central Washington. According to the lease for this house, the tenant is required to repaint upon move-out, irregardless of the length of tenancy. I lived in the house for one year and 10 months. Even with that clause in the lease, can the landlord require me pay for the entire repaint of the house, including what can be considered normal wear and tear?
Well, if it turns out you are required to paint, but not required to paint a specific color, if it was me, I would get some cheap paint in colors not found in nature, then do a really poor DIY job.

Really, regardless if you manage to lawyer out of it or not, you need to read the lease in future, don't agree to unreasonable requirements!

Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't think so. I think a landlord would be hard-pressed to prove in court that the walls needed re-painting for reasons other than wear-and-tear (which is illegal to require the tenant to pay for). If it is not legal under the RCW, the tenant can sign anything the landlord puts in front of him, and the landlord still won't able to enforce it.

Unless the tenant turned the house into a meth lab, or the tenant's toddler finger-painted on the walls, or something, then I think the OP has a good case to get out of this. Again, though, I'm not a lawyer.
Not so sure about that.....if it is in the lease that the tenet has to pay or repaint then he has to repaint...if the lease just said 'wear and tear' that is a different story.

If this person never read the lease...too bad.

When I was ready to retire and sold my house I have to move into an apartment for about a year as we were moving out of the area. The lease stated plainly that I would have to pay for any damage to the carpet or repainting. Fortunately were didn't cause any damage and the walls didn't need repainting and got our deposit back.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Not so sure about that.....if it is in the lease that the tenet has to pay or repaint then he has to repaint...if the lease just said 'wear and tear' that is a different story.

If this person never read the lease...too bad.

When I was ready to retire and sold my house I have to move into an apartment for about a year as we were moving out of the area. The lease stated plainly that I would have to pay for any damage to the carpet or repainting. Fortunately were didn't cause any damage and the walls didn't need repainting and got our deposit back.
That's the point - it doesn't matter what the lease says. If the lease requires you (the tenant) to repaint, and you don't think that there was any damage to the walls other than wear-and-tear, then you CAN'T be required to pay for it by the landlord. You may have to go to court to enforce it, but that's the law in this state.

RCW 59.18.230: Waiver of chapter provisions prohibited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington