Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,823 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say that when I was there in the fall last year (I am going to move to Goldendale this year hopefully) there was lots of grassy areas like meadows and I thought I noticed alot of small cattle and horse ranches with their stock grazing around. It did seem like dry grass, but so do most places in the fall. So, I don't know why the one person said it was just scrub brush and a few trees, but maybe I just didn't visit that area. Goldendale seems to have two parts....near town and below it is pretty sparse, but then when you go further north there are LOTS of BEAUTIFUL trees and grassy meadows....as far as scrub brush...there is some, but not much that I saw, but I don't live there yet, so who knows. LOL I did notice that is some areas there are lots of bass drum sized rocks that would be hard on cows and horses to graze on...wouldn't want broken legs from running around on rocky pastures! Other than that I loved Goldendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,802 times
Default living in Goldendale

We bought 15 acres off of Box Canyon Road. We are 2500 feet in elevation. We hope to live in Goldendale in 2009. So far, my experience withGoldendale has been positive. It has everything from barren land to land with grass, trees, etc. There are a lot of rocks. Klickitat County has been very helpful answering any questions. It is different living in a rural area compared to a city. Things get done at a different pace. Look up "Tips for Country Living" on the Klickitat County home page.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,790 times
Goldendale is not in the desert! Nor is it heavily forested. It has a nice mix of open pasture land (lots of hay & alfalfa grown there) and evergreens. The town of Goldendale is rather small by big city standards, but the community is doing much to restore many of the old victorian homes. Most people go to the Dalles (in Oregon about 25 miles away) for major grocery shopping. That's also where a lot of them get their health care since Washington and Oregon have a reciprocal agreement. There a quite a few small towns in the area: White Salmon, Dallesport, Lyle, etc. Portland, Oregon is not that far away and there is always the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick and Pasco) for bigger stores and lots of entertainment. The slower pace of life after major traffic jams, smog and busy, busy people really appeals to many. Activities in Goldendale are really limited to the outdoor enthusiast - hunting, fishing, snowmobiling (in the winter). The scenary is gorgeous. It is about 1 hour out of Yakima which has much more to offer. Property prices seem to be reasonable. I really like Goldendale and would recommend it for a slower lifestyle. Oh, and by the way, it can get warm in the summer and fairly cold in the winter. And the wind doesn't blow nearly as much as it does in Ellensburg (a lot less dusty).

Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 32,230 times
Default Goldendale, I lived there.

I lived there for several years, and would today but I became a grandpa and decided it was time to be near her.

It was a beautiful place with a troubled heart, I doubt that has changed.

We lived on a ridge north of town where the Bonneville Power lines sounded like a river at peak power demand.
I'll always remember the sound of the wind in the pine trees and being awakened in the early morning by the deer munching the acorns so loudly outside our bedroom window we had to chase them off or close the window.
When it's cold it is just that, COLD. Snow, powdery snow 2" or maybe 4' deep and then on the coldest nights as the wind would begin to blow in a new front the frozen sap in the trees would snap and explode. In the morning I'd look out expecting to see fallen trees and limbs but there were none.
When it's warm it's magnificent. Being east of the Cascades means less rain. So the heat is dry and so is the cold. I was often outside in shirt sleeves at 25 degrees and at 100 I'd wear a loose long sleeve cotton shirt.
Plenty of gray days also.

Just across the river down Hwy 97 you'll see nothing but dry-land wheat.
(if you've got XP on your computer and one of your backgrounds is a grassy field and hill with mountains in the backgound, I'd swear that picture came from a dry land wheat farm near Wasco, Or. execpt it looks like Black Butte)

Wild Turkeys, coyotes, deer, bluebirds, yes I have found small scorpians 1" or less, black widows too but like the other post said you've got to go look for them. And a bird migration, that is incredible to watch as each species come into the area for a few days before moving on up the hill.

Some of the desendants of the original settlers would like to keep things as they were, a small town with small town ways, which is good if you were one of them. Long time residents are or were the same. Outsiders and newcomers were kept at arms length by everyone but the realtors. No high falutin' Sarbucks gonna be here, They also had the only McDonalds I have ever seen without teens behind the counter, only adults.

There's something else you'll find out after awhile. There are basically only two ethnic groups there, white and native american. They tolerate each other, mostly, and the "tolerance" begins at a very young age. If you are old enough to remember Ruby Ridge, then you may be old enough to remember that they left Goldendale for Ruby Ridge when the media started hounding them. Like those bugs if you go looking for that mentality you'll find it quick enough in a few of the long timers or it will blindside you as it did me when someone I thought I knew said something so ugly I was literally stupified. One day I heard Paul Harvey say that the highest percapita county for welfare assistance in the United States was Klickatat County. A dubious honor.

My advice WOULD (we left in 2000) have been don't bring your children. The "toleration" they will learn in school is very ugly and outwieghs the benefit of a smaller community lifestyle. If you must bring the kids look for a place out towards Centerville and send them there.
No Kids?
Buy north of town. As close to the Simcoes and Boise Cascade land as possible and wear lots of red during hunting season. Plan on shopping trips to The Dalles or Costco near the Airport in Portland. DO NOT try to insert yourself into the locals life. Give them some time to check you out. DO NOT buy any 20 Acre dry lots out towards Bickleton. Your only keeping the real estate agents in business. The wells are DEEP and the trees are to thick for pasture.

Despite all this it is truly a wonderful place to be, I'm sorry we sold our 10 acres there instead of our 2 acres at Crooked River Ranch in Central Oregon, but WOW has my rim property increased in value there while in Goldendale it stayed pretty flat. One of these days though the influx of retirees will make Goldendale lose it's troubled side, I hope, and then it too will become another Bend quickly.

An honest answer
Good Luck

Last edited by Ex Goldendale; 04-19-2007 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Descriptive addition

Old 05-22-2007, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,458 times
Wink Looking to relocate

I looked at the whole map of Washington to find some place I might like. Right now I'm living in a small, rural town, North of Spokane. This is the area where I grew up, so it's not so new to me. I lived at Lake Tahoe, the north side at Kingsbeach, then in Carson City, which I really loved. I would just like to stay in Washington because I don't like the hassle of getting everything changed to another state. I also wanted to live at a county seat because if you need to have anything to do with Social Security or anything like that, it's right there. I noticed that north of Goldendale looks more moist with trees, but it's closer to the reservation. I've always loved the Columbia, having lived in Kelso and Longview for many years. I love the outdoors though and I don't like getting "trapped" in a city. I'm not sure the whole deal with the long time residents sounds very good though. Here, I grew up with the Indians and I'm friends with them, but I know they can be pretty uppity. Well, It's a whole different thing like who is the real native or what? Spokane is so class conscious it makes me sick. I'm beginning to think Goldndale might be that way too.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 PM

113 posts, read 874,321 times
I'd have to echo the positive thoughts on Goldendale. I'm a little biased as I was raised in a small town, but as I remember my many visits to Goldendale, I found it a very nice place. I don't remember thinking of it as barren at all.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 AM

177 posts, read 966,285 times
Quote:
Goldendale is the county seat, which is unusual for such a small community.
That's because Goldendale is the biggest town in Klickitat County! Little bit of history, originally the county seat was going to be Centerville (10 miles outside of Goldendale). I was born there, graduated from high school there and object to:
Quote:
They tolerate each other, mostly, and the "tolerance" begins at a very young age.
We had indians in our class and there was no "racial tension" or anything like that, they were just fellow students like us. I couldn't wait to get out of there. It might be a nice place to retire, but unless you live on a farm, there is NOTHING for the kids to do! I didn't have a problem with the schools,etc. I just couldn't wait to live in a town where the sidewalks didn't roll up at 5PM. You have to drive to The Dalles for any decent shopping, movies,etc. Why not just live in The Dalles? Since the Aluminum Plant shut down, that town is practically a ghost town. I still visit, my grandparent's still live there. It's depressing to go back and see it so dirty and deserted. I can't see myself ever living there again.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,523 times
Hi There!
I own 6 acres on the little klickitat river. It's about 6 miles north of town. There are plenty of trees as you head towards the pass. Although this land is used recreational, I wouldn't hesitate to call Goldendale home.

The town itself sports most amenities. There is gas, food, hardware store, and a hospital. Housing is hit and miss. Many nice homes alonside some "seedier" ones. This town is ripe for investors picking up cheap land for future prospects.

Think Prineville,Bend,Redmond. This town is a bargain in today's price range. Especially for retired persons downsizing. Without children, you are able to be more mobile without school concerns etc.

mod cut: link removed

Either way, this is great property to "Sit On" if you can afford to invest in it. Mine has tripled since 2001. But having land on water is a luxury in Goldendale. I'm looking to buy more. Thinking of buying some rental properties, as there are a ton of low cost homes to buy.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-12-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: no linking realty sites, please.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM

177 posts, read 966,285 times
Quote:
The town itself sports most amenities. There is gas, food, hardware store, and a hospital. Housing is hit and miss. Many nice homes alonside some "seedier" ones. This town is ripe for investors picking up cheap land for future prospects.
FYI: The "seedier" homes are probably the people on welfare. Goldendale has a large per capita welfare population, just look at the big welfare office they built a few years ago.

About future prospects: There are FEW family wage jobs there (probably just at the hospital), most of the jobs are fast food and retail (and those have started to disappear in the last few years).

Yes the hospital just added on, but you have to go to The Dalles for cancer treatment and the nursing home closed down years ago. I know The Dalles doesn't seem that far away but when you have to drive Maryhill grade in the snow and ice in the winter, it's no fun!

It's sad to see all the stores and businesses that I grew up with shut down and leave town. I think the only ones still in business that were in business when I was a kid(not that long ago) are the grocery stores, the sporting goods store, and Allan's Building Center.

Not trying to be negative here, just realistic. If Goldendale could attract another large employer that paid well (like the aluminum plant did) it would thrive once again. I would like to see that happen, but am not sure it ever will.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM

22 posts, read 89,806 times
I was just wondering, do you have children? If so, I'd send them to Bickleton instead of Goldendale if you can! I grew up there, magnificent! Definately a small town with great family values. It just depends on where your property is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington