Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

Good evening, Washingtonians. I'm visiting WA this weekend and looking forward to going for one of the Mountain Loop Highway hikes early Saturday morning (I'm flying into SEA Friday night).

I see that I can buy a one-day Northwest Forest Pass for $5 online and print it, but they require me to provide a license plate number. I'll be in a rental car and have no idea what the lic plate number will be prior to picking up the car and I won't have a printer with me on the trip.

Are there passes/envelopes available at the parking areas?
Are there places to buy a pass EARLY in the morning (before 6am)? I notice forest offices don't open until 8.
Are the passes enforced strictly (I.e., if I print a pass with a made up license plate number before I leave for WA, am I likely to get ticketed, booted, or other form of punishment, because the number doesn't match the rental car's tags)?
Shouldn't there be an easier way to collect the fee?

Any advice or experiences you've had would be great to hear. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Good evening, Washingtonians. I'm visiting WA this weekend and looking forward to going for one of the Mountain Loop Highway hikes early Saturday morning (I'm flying into SEA Friday night).

I see that I can buy a one-day Northwest Forest Pass for $5 online and print it, but they require me to provide a license plate number. I'll be in a rental car and have no idea what the lic plate number will be prior to picking up the car and I won't have a printer with me on the trip.

Are there places to buy a pass EARLY in the morning (before 6am)? I notice forest offices don't open until 8.
Are the passes enforced strictly (I.e., if I print a pass with a made up license plate number before I leave for WA, am I likely to get ticketed, booted, or other form of punishment, because the number doesn't match the rental car's tags)?

I would call and ask them that question. 1-800-270-7504.

AFAIK, you can't buy the passes at the trailhead/parking areas, but there are lots of private outdoor-type businesses that sell them - I don't know who opens before 6am, though.

And yes (depends on where you are), I would be prepared for the pass to be strictly enforced. I was ticketed and I actually HAD the pass, but it still wasn't good enough (I had to prove in court that it was a real pass).

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
You will be driving past the Verlot Public Service Center on Mountain Loop Highway. Call them and ask: (360) 691-7791. They might have an outdoor place to purchase the passes.

(Also, we have both the discover pass and the NW Forest pass. The discover pass has the license number on it, but our NW pass does not and can be used with any car.)

Old 07-14-2015, 11:03 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

PS...up front. I did go to the daily pass and did not see a spot for the license. Just the date and year to validate.

IF you are over 62 or disabled just get one of those passes and they work in place of the NorthWest Forest Pass. Also the $80?? cover anything pass works.

Also print out the Northwest Forest Pass. In the past, they did not have a date on them. I always kept a couple of passes in the glove box and then dated them as I used them. Adding the license plate number is a new twist. They were not there in the past.

You could print rental in the license spot and then add the license number in ink after you pick up the car. Just try and do the right thing.

Some parking areas have passes/envelopes available, but I would not bet on them depending on the trailhead.

Forget buying them before 6am.

Passes are enforced. You will not get "booted". I don't believe the Forest Service owns a car boot!!

There isn't an easier way to collect the fee....trust me I spent 10 years administering the program for a National Forest. I fought really hard to make sure that the public that wants to do the right thing does not get penalized.

Hope this helps. You could also call the Forest Service office in Darrington and talk to them. Just search Darrington Ranger District. I believe the Mountain Loop is on them.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I fought really hard to make sure that the public that wants to do the right thing does not get penalized.
I've ranted about this before on this forum, so I won't do it again, but I can say from prior experience, that (at least at Confluence in Wenatchee) other Park Rangers don't share this attitude.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
Some of the trailheads have envelopes you can use and a place to deposit the money. Sometimes they have run out though. Gas stations in Granite Falls have the day passes and might be open that early.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
Hey lammius, 509's advice is spot on. Mountain Loop is on the Darrington Ranger District. I'd just give them a quick call to clear things up with the pass. USFS officials are not like traffic cops who are out to ticket you to fill a quota or something crazy like that. They're more than happy to help you get your Forest Pass set up however it needs to be to make sure you're all set. Darringtion FS office: 360-436-1155.

Enjoy the beautiful hiking this weekend!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
You guys are the best!

I called the Discover Your Northwest customer service number and asked about the "RENTAL" suggestion 509 shared. The woman on the phone was helpful and confirmed that that is an acceptable solution. I might call the Darrington office just to be sure that's the local custom in their district.

Thanks for your help, everyone. As of now the weather looks to be great. Can't wait to get out on the trail!

Old 07-14-2015, 03:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I've ranted about this before on this forum, so I won't do it again, but I can say from prior experience, that (at least at Confluence in Wenatchee) other Park Rangers don't share this attitude.
Confluence is a Washington State Park......Northwest Forest Pass is Forest Service.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Here's the link to the Verlot Public Service Center, further along on the Mountain Loop: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Offices. They're open Thursday-Monday, and I can confirm what someone else brought up: There is an automated pay station in the parking lot for day passes there that you can stop by any time before hitting the trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington