Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny, Rabbit. My renters always paid my mortgage, taxes and maintenance and repair costs. What's the point of having renters, otherwise?
I agree with you on this, Ruth, but a lot of people don't. They believe that even if the rental income doesn't cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance, once they sell the place, they'll more than make up for all the losses they took. They're speculating on appreciation. Seems risky to me. It also depends on the particular market. In Seattle, currently, it's hard to buy a single family house, rent it out, and have the rental income cover all the costs. People are doing it. But if I were going to own rental property again, I'd never buy a house to rent out unless I made profit every month. Call me old fashioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,563 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I agree with you on this, Ruth, but a lot of people don't. They believe that even if the rental income doesn't cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance, once they sell the place, they'll more than make up for all the losses they took. They're speculating on appreciation. Seems risky to me. It also depends on the particular market. In Seattle, currently, it's hard to buy a single family house, rent it out, and have the rental income cover all the costs. People are doing it. But if I were going to own rental property again, I'd never buy a house to rent out unless I made profit every month. Call me old fashioned.

It is nice to always start out that way. (renters covering all costs). Over 25 yrs When the county jabs you with 1000% increases in taxes you can't pass that along, or you will be 'over-market-rates'

Don't think for a moment that not passing along property tax increases does not make property profitable (that is pretty elementary thinking, considering ALL costs / expenses.)

I only make 7-9% on Cap rates for my PNW properties (pathetic), but I get on average 14% equity gain in PNW.

My cap rates are FAR better in other income tax free states (I keep my income properties ONLY in income tax exempt states).

I rarely pass on expenses to tenants, even utility increases / (water). Renters are usually TOO strapped to cough up more dough, Mine get 'rental rebates' if they are 100 % on time and NEVER call me for issues. They stay on average 7+ yrs (of course).

I'm called the 'benevolent landlord', especially by my commercial tenants whom I give lots of latitude and free financial counseling / referrals. I'm still eat'n hearty (and driving a 39 yr old 50 mpg car that cost me $35 bucks.)

I still say RENT in Seattle and put your RE dollars to better work for you. Your case may be different. Run the numbers.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM

8,061 posts, read 8,285,534 times
Ultimately, supply and demand determines how much can be charged for rent. That doesn't mean that most won't charge up to whatever they can, but failing to find a renter is one thing that can moderate that (not really a problem in the current market, however). On the other hand, some charge below market rents because it limits turnover.

Six years ago, I rented a two-bedroom apartment on the west side of Queen Anne for $850/month. Then Whole Foods moved in and they sold the building...

Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM

735 posts, read 864,465 times
Rabbit, income generated from a rental is fungible. As long as you are not losing money, then yes, your tenants are paying for the property tax.

The OP still asked a naive question. They were worried about paying property taxes and in the greater Seattle area, renters are paying for increased property taxes, along with increased appreciation of the property.

To corrupt a saying, it's good to be the landlord.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,563 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Rabbit, income generated from a rental is fungible. As long as you are not losing money, then yes, your tenants are paying for the property tax. ...
To corrupt a saying, it's good to be the landlord.
Not really... They might be 'paying the taxes', but who is then paying the mortgage? The taxes are easier to defer (3 yrs delinquent before the county can start seizing the property). Fungible can be allocated MANY ways! The TAX man just might not be one of those ways. Just imagine how much more INCOME could be fungible! I might even be eating better than my tenants (very unlikely), or have a TV ... They seem to even afford DISH!. Maybe I should specify in my rental contract that if they drive a newer car than I (37 yr old car), they should at least pay the taxes!

Rent or Own? Depends... how you like to allocate your capital. My kid in Seattle would NEVER consider OWNING a primary residence there (He is a capital manager). His money has much higher use / value working elsewhere (than sitting @ (in a ) home).

Your situation might be different. You may have gobs of capital, so no big deal putting $500k on hold while you enjoy weekends caring for your 'asset' (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington