Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,153 times

Advertisements

How friendly are the people of Tacoma in general.

Seattle Freeze?

Portland sort of friendly?

Or Cali super friendly/laid back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM

615 posts, read 665,734 times
Not counting CA and I don't know about Oregon, but look at the income level to determine the Depth-of-Freeze. I lived 1/2 block from Green Lake for over 3 years and never thought of it as being "Seattle Freeze"ish. The stuck-up areas tend to be where the wealthy people are as they are less likely to start small talk with a stranger in public.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Tacoma is a more ghetto version of Portland and somewhat a hybrid of the old Portland and old Seattle. It is friendlier, but a lot rougher and tougher than Seattle. As much of pansies as Seattlites can be, Tacoma people are pretty gritty and tough people. So, you have to take the goods with the bads. You will get people who are a bit friendlier and hospitable, but also people who are tougher, meaner and punch the crap out of you if you rub them the wrong way. In general, if you watch yourself and avoid getting into confrontations you will be ok. Beware of places like 6th Ave and Hilltop on weekends, it turns into a sausage fest and some dive bars, truly live up to the name of "dives".

If you hang out where there are a lot of hipsters expect a bit of a freeze which is common with all the new more new age trendy , cooler than thou, politically correct ultra liberal types. However, I felt even the hipsters in Tacoma were bit more down-to-earth and friendly, in a Portland manner than your average uppity and reserved Seattle hipster.

Surpringsly, Tacoma and Bellingham share some commonalities on the cultural perspective, but Tacoma is definitely grittier and meaner than Bellingham, but both are blue collarish traditional Washington towns. A bit more grimey, drunk and less friendly than Oregon towns, but still more upbeat, personable and friendly than Seattle, which lost its old Washington identity.

BTW.. I grew up in Portland and lived a year near Tacoma, so I experienced the differences in culture and people in Portland, Tacoma and Seattle.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Tacoma is a more ghetto version of Portland and somewhat a hybrid of the old Portland and old Seattle. It is friendlier, but a lot rougher and tougher than Seattle. As much of pansies as Seattlites can be, Tacoma people are pretty gritty and tough people.
Any comparisons you can make of the "tougher/rougher/grittier" folks to people in the Midwest/North East?

Also when you say old Portland/old Seattle what years are you generally talking about?

Early 90's gutter punk Portland?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
'Freeze' can (has been / is being) studied, as a PNW, societal (regional) unique. (individuality / 'not-warm')

Could be from:
pioneer settlers / Gold rush / adventure seekers / those running from family / same-ole-same-ole.

Similar 'action' is currently happening with Social Media craze.

Seattle adds a:
wealth / education / recreation element to the 'Freeze'.

I like potlucks and neighbors helping neighbors. Still happens, even in the PNW!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
'Freeze' can (has been / is being) studied, as a PNW, societal (regional) unique. (individuality / 'not-warm')

Could be from:
pioneer settlers / Gold rush / adventure seekers / those running from family / same-ole-same-ole.

Similar 'action' is currently happening with Social Media craze.

Seattle adds a:
wealth / education / recreation element to the 'Freeze'.

I like potlucks and neighbors helping neighbors. Still happens, even in the PNW!
...?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
...?
You will have a tough time finding neighbors in the PNW that will 'Talk over the fence'.

Can go 3-5 yrs and never even meet your neighbors.

If you get to smelling real bad, they may find you (month old cadaver)

PNW is not SE USA.

I have NEVER had PNW folks offer to cook for me while I was injured or in Hospital.

In USA midwest and SE, you will have a parade of people bringing you free food when you are incapacitated.

I call that the 'Freeze' YMMV.

Portland folks can be friendly if you think like them. If you don't... you will be shunned.

CA people are not laid back... they are intensely into themselves. (generally)

Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
You will have a tough time finding neighbors in the PNW that will 'Talk over the fence'.

Can go 3-5 yrs and never even meet your neighbors.
To be fair this is more places nowadays.

Seattle is certainly more noticeable than most.

Quote:
PNW is not SE USA.

I have NEVER had PNW folks offer to cook for me while I was injured or in Hospital.

In USA midwest and SE, you will have a parade of people bringing you free food when you are incapacitated.
Why would you compare the SE to the PNW? Is there even a comparison to be made?

As far as the Midwest goes maybe 20 years ago, but I don't find many people that would these days. Maybe family members visiting with store bought stuff. Unless you're talking about your significant other then I think you can get them to cook for you when you're ill just about everywhere, yeah?

Quote:
CA people are not laid back... they are intensely into themselves. (generally)
CA is a big place. SoCal, not a chance. But more than most I've found Cali folks more laid back and open minded than Midwesterners, southerners, and people in the NE.

FWIW, I have lived in Portland and know the deal with its people.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
There is no place in the PNW that is as friendly as California. Please don't call it Cali.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:18 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,580 times
"There is no place in the PNW that is as friendly as California. Please don't call it Cali."
That's not very friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington