Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,116 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are looking to move from Scranton, PA to Seattle, WA. We have never left the East Coast so this is a HUGE move for us. We have an 8 year old and a 6 1/2 year old and I'm lost on where to even look. I was told not to look in Seattle bc housing is expensive. I see other towns between Tacoma and Seattle but not sure of how safe they are. My husband works for the Department of the Army as a civilian employee and needs to find work in that field or the move is not going to happen. He doesn't want to leave the DOD. The reason we are moving is bc I got offered a much better job there then I have here in PA. Can anyone give me some towns I can look at that are safe and ideas for elementary schools. Also does anyone know of not so expensive after school care and summer programs for kids. I need to have after school care or again this move won't be happening. I appreciate any info anyone can offer me. Like I said before we have never moved before, especially across the country and this is a little scary and I have no clue where to even begin. Also, I need to put my house up for sale so if anyone has moved before and can give me tips on how to sell my house as fast as I can I would appreciate that also. I really don't want to involve a realtor bc I need all the money from the sale of the house to help with the move. Soooo....again I am up for any suggestions. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Is your job offer in Seattle? Downtown or elsewhere? If not in Seattle proper, where? That will have a LOT to do with where you might, or might not, choose to live.

I'd guess your husband's best chance for a transfer would be JBLM, which is south of Tacoma. For areas with at least semi-realistic commutes to both with decent schools, you might look at Puyallup/Sumner/Fife, east Auburn/Kent, Maple Valley/Covington, and south Renton. You might also find some decent elementaries in other areas: Burien (Cedarhurst ES "6"), Des Moines (North Hill-Primary School/K-6 "8", Woodmont ES "6"), Normandy Park (Marvista ES "8"), Federal Way (Brigadoon ES "7", Enterprise ES "6", Rainier View ES "6").

Tacoma (Northend has decent to good schools) might also be a possibility, if able to commute to Seattle via Sounder Commuter Rail.

Another possibility might be the Kipsap Peninsula, with military jobs at the Bremerton Naval Station or Bangor Trident Base, with a ferry commute to downtown Seattle. Look at Bremerton, Silverton, Poulsbo, Port Orchard.

As to after-school care, others will need to fill you in on that.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Is your job offer in Seattle? Downtown or elsewhere? If not in Seattle proper, where? That will have a LOT to do with where you might, or might not, choose to live.

I'd guess your husband's best chance for a transfer would be JBLM, which is south of Tacoma. For areas with at least semi-realistic commutes to both with decent schools, you might look at Puyallup/Sumner/Fife, east Auburn/Kent, Maple Valley/Covington, and south Renton. You might also find some decent elementaries in other areas: Burien (Cedarhurst ES "6"), Des Moines (North Hill-Primary School/K-6 "8", Woodmont ES "6"), Normandy Park (Marvista ES "8"), Federal Way (Brigadoon ES "7", Enterprise ES "6", Rainier View ES "6").

Tacoma (Northend has decent to good schools) might also be a possibility, if able to commute to Seattle via Sounder Commuter Rail.

Another possibility might be the Kipsap Peninsula, with military jobs at the Bremerton Naval Station or Bangor Trident Base, with a ferry commute to downtown Seattle. Look at Bremerton, Silverton, Poulsbo, Port Orchard.

As to after-school care, others will need to fill you in on that.
JBLM will be cutting jobs by the end of this year or early next year. My understanding is that they will lose about 1000 jobs. It could have been worse. Still, that's going to make the job hunt for the husband even tougher.

The only other DOD base out here is in Bremerton. I have not yet heard if they will have cuts yet.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,116 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will definitely be thinking this move over again. I will check those websites you mentioned smoothly323 and see if its worth it. Amaiunmei why are they cutting jobs there? I heard it was a big base and that they wouldn't do that any time soon. I will check Bremerton. CrazyDonkey thanks for the info on the towns. Just would hate to move somewhere questionable. You know? My job is at the VA center on Columbia St, Seattle. Not sure if that's considered Downtown or not. Maybe I would look at the rail for commute. I heard traffic on I-5 is horrific.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesilvi View Post
My job is at the VA center on Columbia St, Seattle. Not sure if that's considered Downtown or not.
Columbia Street or Columbian Way? There is a Dept. of Veterans Affairs office downtown in the Federal Building, on 2nd between Madison and Marion. Columbia Street is a block south. The main VA Hospital is on S. Columbian Way, which is on mid-Beacon Hill, maybe a 30-minute bus-ride from downtown.

If the first, then a commute on Sounder or a WSF ferry is a possibility. If not, then no. A vanpool or carpool to the VA Hospital, however, would be.

It may come down to who is willing to have the worst commute. The one who doesn't will have to pick up the kids.

Here are the main military bases in Washington state:

Washington Military Bases | MilitaryBases.com - US Military Bases

Old 09-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
CrazyDonkey thanks for the info on the towns. Just would hate to move somewhere questionable.
What might be considered to be questionable here might be considered pretty nice back east. Violent crime rates are low here. The point is that while the Southend is not as desirable as the Northend or Eastside, because of higher poverty rates and more immigrants, it is mostly only bad in spots, along I-5 and SR-99 (Pacific Hwy S). Many of the neighborhoods/towns also have very nice areas with above average to very good schools - make sure that the school is "assigned", rather than merely "near", to an address that you're interested in. If the assigned school is a 7 or 8 (at Greatschools), you can be pretty sure that the surrounding area is a good area. Even a 6 school is still above average.

I wouldn't really call these areas "towns", even though some have town-centers - what they are is suburbs that blend into each other.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will definitely be thinking this move over again. I will check those websites you mentioned smoothly323 and see if its worth it. Amaiunmei why are they cutting jobs there? I heard it was a big base and that they wouldn't do that any time soon. I will check Bremerton. CrazyDonkey thanks for the info on the towns. Just would hate to move somewhere questionable. You know? My job is at the VA center on Columbia St, Seattle. Not sure if that's considered Downtown or not. Maybe I would look at the rail for commute. I heard traffic on I-5 is horrific.
There's an overall drawdown of troops happening nationwide. The cuts could have been worse, but are still pretty substantial. The cuts will also have an effect on civilian personnel:

JBLM to lose 1,250 soldiers as part of drawdown in U.S. troops | Q13 FOX News

Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM

134 posts, read 680,762 times
You really need to visit before thinking about moving. Rent a motorhome and drive the areas you target after flying in. I would keep the kids at home...that will only be a huge distraction of energy. Rent a car and do motels if the motorhome idea doesn't work.

If you don't have a job lined up you really need to be a flexible family and very resilient. Know thyself! It will be hard. You will need a year of emergency funds to survive on. Start making a checklist of what you need...community, job, schools.

Good news is when you start over everything is new. Bad news is when you start over everything is new.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
You really need to visit before thinking about moving. Rent a motorhome and drive the areas you target after flying in. I would keep the kids at home...that will only be a huge distraction of energy. Rent a car and do motels if the motorhome idea doesn't work.

I prefer to stay in the homes of local people when seeking a destination. You get the straight scoop from a local. Been doing this for 25+ yrs ($10 / night worldwide). Many times in SEA metro. You get a 'profile' of host, so maybe you can find a VA medical employee! or someone with your interests. http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

$200 airfare for a preview trip is money and time well spent.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
You really need to visit before thinking about moving. ...
Good news is when you start over everything is new. Bad news is when you start over everything is new.
PP, you DM'd me but your profile does not accept reply (No DM allowed)

Quote:
how to sell my house as fast as I can
OP... house MUST be pristine, priced very attractive, ready to move-in, irresistible to buyer with exposure to potential buyers. Very tough for a city house. Not sure what you have, but you may be sitting on it for many months. If you MUST sell your home before you move, I would not be looking for one to buy (maybe a region, but not a home)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington