Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM

20 posts, read 23,228 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering moving to the Edmonds area (as a renter) to pursue medical care at a specialty clinic/center. I was born and raised in the SF bay area in California and have only left California a handful of times, and have never lived anywhere else. I've never been to Washington, but I'm really drawn to it. I like the weather here in California but driving and moving around here is insane due to the massive amount of people moving to the bay area for the tech industry. Here in CA we're moving so far away from nature and we've launched ourselves into this artificial world that revolves around technology. Plus, the cost of living here has become astronomical. I really want to live in a more grounded place. I would love to hear about the weather in Emonds- can this California girl "survive" it? What's the traffic like? Public transportation? The vibe? Anything you can tell me or teach me will be new news, and much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 05:45 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
This Miami boy has survived it 26 years, you'll be fine. Edmonds, especially "Edmonds Bowl", is a nice town, down by the water, smell of salt water and harbor seals barking sometimes in the distance. Edmonds has a town center, pubs, restaurants, cafes, cultural events close. It is a pretty laid back place. An added benefit if the ferry that leaves right from there to the magical Olympic Peninsula.

The cost of living in Edmonds isn't cheap, but is affordable compared to Seattle or California. Buses shouldn't be tough to find. About technology, we like it too, there's no escaping it. Nature, however, is so in your face and magnificent that most people are able to pack in the smart phones now and again. Traffic in Seattle is tough, Edmonds (assuming you live reasonably close to where you work) should feel manageable.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Homesinseattle, thank you so much for writing. Loving that you moved to Seattle from Miami! It just sounds like it's where I'm meant to be. I'm ready for some "in your face" nature!

Are there folks who can live in Seattle without a car or driver's license? I guess in this day and age, with Uber, it's possible anywhere. I guess technology is indeed good for something!

Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Hopeful, you are welcome! Sure, in theory you could be carless, but it sure is nice to have one to get to the mountains. Maybe a carless life with a little Zipcar usage and Uber thrown in would suit you.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 PM

156 posts, read 235,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1111 View Post
Homesinseattle, thank you so much for writing. Loving that you moved to Seattle from Miami! It just sounds like it's where I'm meant to be. I'm ready for some "in your face" nature!

Are there folks who can live in Seattle without a car or driver's license? I guess in this day and age, with Uber, it's possible anywhere. I guess technology is indeed good for something!
Hello Hopeful1111,
Yes it is possible and in many cases easier to be carless in Seattle. Parking can be a hassle and expensive. Just one more fee added to your rent. If you cut out the expense of a car payment, maintenance, insurance etc you will have more money to afford the high rent here lol Just kidding maybe it won't seem high coming from CA...but indeed rent is high.
The buses are good and there is the Sounder Train goes to Edmunds direct from Seattle BUT take care to look at schedules. As you can see the Sounder is limited to common rush hours. Buses are more frequent and in some neighborhoods multiple lines run so you can easily get around. Budget problems have cut some hours/routes and buses are crowded at times. Areas more central to Seattle have more lines/better availability. If you live further out and say want to attend a late concert at a club downtown, you may end up taking Uber back for at least part of your way home.

Here at some links so you can see what comes out/into Edmunds. I have a good friend who just moved away from there and he spoke highly of it. He was fortunate to be in a part of Edmunds where he could walk to stuff because although he has a car, he broke his leg while he lived there and temp could not drive. It is faster to take the train (about 40 min I believe from Edmunds to Seattle than it would to take the bus due to traffic)

Sound Transit handles some buses and the Sounder Train and has trip planner:
Sounder Everett-Seattle | Sound Transit

link to main King County Bus site (has trip planner)
King County Metro Transit

It is a bit confusing but either Sound Transit or Metro King sites have a trip planner which includes partner systems so you can plan your whole trip on either one.

One other recommendation I HIGHLY recommend using the website www.walkscore.com
Basically you can enter the address of any property you are considering and it pops out a list of everything in walking distance and gives the address a "score" from 0-100 based on walkability. In urban areas it also gives a bike score and a transit score. In some areas a new feature is a crime score. I am disabled and no longer drive and it saves so much time when looking for rentals on Craigslist etc I can just enter the address and instantly know if it will work for me without wasting a lot of time making phone calls.

I live outside of Seattle now but take the bus in frequently to the medical school. I would like to live in Seattle or closer than I do now because I do get sick on long bus rides. Traffic can get bad here. There are times I have used Uber or I also have a driver on call who can take me places the bus doesn't go. It is not ideal, but it works. There are a few cities who beat Seattle's transit but not too many. I still miss driving. And I feel I am limited in where I can live. If I still drove there would be more choices, and likely cheaper choices, more privacy, peace and quiet etc. not found in urban areas. So there's pros/cons.

I get a lot of stuff delivered/shipped, everything from dog food (Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com) to groceries (Safeway delivers). If you are in Seattle itself you have many, many businesses and restaurants that deliver. If you so desire you can get legal pot delivered. Someone else will have to elaborate on that..... I order everything from prescriptions to vitamins/supplements from various online retailers. Cheaper and who needs to hassle of carrying 6 cases of canned dog food on a crowded bus? For my own small sense of independence I like to live close by a grocery store, farmer's market, library, etc at least some stuff to walk to if I feel up to it and it's nice to feel a sense of a neighborhood/community.

My best advice to you applies to where ever you move.....I learned this the hard way....at all costs avoid renting something until you can see it in person. Also if it is feasible to visit first in the winter to see if you get severe SAD. Coming from sunny CA to cloudy WA sends some folks into a deep pit of depression. I would say SAD is one major reason why a newcomer might not end up staying here. I actually came because of the cloudy weather

Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 PM

Lookinforhorseparadise, what an amazing little manual you've written out here! I appreciate this more than I can convey. Geez, does Seattle just attract nice people? Sure seems like it, so far!

It sounds like our lifestyles are similar- I was hoping to find a rental walking distance from a co-op so I could easily go get my own groceries. It sounds like (and looks like, according to maps and some of the transit links you so kindly included) this could all be doable and a real possibility.

I'm going to go delve deeper into the transportation reading material you sent along! Thank you again!

P.S.
Congrats on getting into medical school, and good luck with your schooling! It's my dream to go back to school to become a nurse so perhaps in Seattle my dream could come true.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Another question- is mold often a problem in Washington in homes and rentals? I have a health condition significantly impacted by mold and California has been terrible. I'm just wondering if it might be worse in Washington due to the tendency toward rain and dampness, or better due to homes not needing air conditioning like many areas in California do?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 PM

156 posts, read 235,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1111 View Post
Lookinforhorseparadise, what an amazing little manual you've written out here! I appreciate this more than I can convey. Geez, does Seattle just attract nice people? Sure seems like it, so far!

It sounds like our lifestyles are similar- I was hoping to find a rental walking distance from a co-op so I could easily go get my own groceries. It sounds like (and looks like, according to maps and some of the transit links you so kindly included) this could all be doable and a real possibility.

I'm going to go delve deeper into the transportation reading material you sent along! Thank you again!

P.S.
Congrats on getting into medical school, and good luck with your schooling! It's my dream to go back to school to become a nurse so perhaps in Seattle my dream could come true.

You are very welcome. Oh, and no, I am not a medical student....sadly I am a PATIENT at U W medical school.

No one anticipates developing severe chronic incurable health problems when they are in their 40's (or younger) but there you go....I try to stay positive but at times it's a real drag. I think every able bodied car owning person should just try it for a week. Pretend you are disabled and can't drive at all...it is a REAL eye opener just seeing what a loss of independence it represents. My friend who broke his leg was hating it after just a short time. At least he knew it was a temporary condition for him....I do think it made him more empathetic towards those who are ill/injured/disabled etc.

I am originally from Virginia (DC area) not to stir up debate but I have been told East Coasters are friendlier more direct, etc I do try to be helpful because I know from experience how hard it is to move, especially if you don't drive and have medical issues and don't feel well. I am sure you will find a wealth of info from this forum, many lifetime residents on here so post again if you need more help.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 PM

I hear you- I'm a young person living with a health condition as well, hence all of my unconventional questions about transportation and environmental concerns and whatnot! My heart goes out to you. Truly.

And no argument here- I think East Coasters can certainly be more direct than us West Coasters! I find it to be refreshing.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Edmonds is a very desirable suburb of Seattle, still close enough in, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. You will find the eastern sections to be quite middle class, where as you get closer to the Sound more expensive. Nice little downtown with good restaurants/bars/coffee. The good news it is close to I-5, the bad news is it is close to I-5. If I were ever to return to the area, Edmonds would likely be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington