Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
The Hilltop area was one of the worst areas in Tacoma. It's still a low income area that they've been trying to convert to middle class. They tore down the crack houses and built new, but the dealers are still there. I drove down MLK yesterday and they have built some fancy new condos in the area but the criminal element was still in plain sight. If you can't walk down your own street at night there is no way I'm forcing my family to live through the transition. The people that are trying to avoid crime should not even consider Hilltop as an option. I'm sure if your from certain parts of California, Hilltop would feel like the burbs.
It's not all the same. Some areas, primarily closer to downtown, have gentrified more than others. Like I said, it is a trade-off. You still have to pick and choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
I forgot to add in something about crime. I don't worry so much about it because I've come to an understanding. Violent crime has happened to me plenty and I've witnessed a lot. 99% of that can be attributed to what I was doing. If you're hanging out in line for a club at midnight you are very likely to be a victim at some point. If you have some shady friends at some point you will be a victim. If you try to save money by living in low income areas you will become a victim. Sure random crime will happen but if you don't put yourself in those situations you don't have anything to worry about.
I'm currently working in southern Peru and you use the same precautions.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:00 PM

90 posts, read 100,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm currently working in southern Peru and you use the same precautions.
My wife and I usually spend up to a month out of the year in Colombia visiting her Family and our house in Santa Marta. That is how I came to this understanding.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:14 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Every time I see a crime in Tacoma thread, I just have to refer them to one of my favorite gangsta rap videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJ-hqhV04Q

It can be a little shady in Ta-Ta-Tacoma..

Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 PM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
It's really not even that bad. It's also disgusting to me that people reject members of their own community based on appearance and the appearance of where they live. It's not like they were born into this world wanting that. There are some very difficult and complex situations out there and they require compassion to help. Tacoma has come a long way in creating community spaces where people can feel welcome and safe. I believe there to be over 35 community gardens in the city, parks are very well kept, murals are everywhere, glass art is huge here as well and there are FREE classes at Jason Lee middle school that take in all different youth so they can express themselves constructively and creatively. Not only all this, but Tacoma isn't even that dangerous compared to so many cities. Sure, there are people on drugs and a lot of transients. But I do know for a fact that I would walk anywhere in Tacoma at night before I'd walk in Pioneer Square at night in Seattle.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 AM

90 posts, read 100,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
It's really not even that bad. It's also disgusting to me that people reject members of their own community based on appearance and the appearance of where they live. It's not like they were born into this world wanting that. There are some very difficult and complex situations out there and they require compassion to help. Tacoma has come a long way in creating community spaces where people can feel welcome and safe. I believe there to be over 35 community gardens in the city, parks are very well kept, murals are everywhere, glass art is huge here as well and there are FREE classes at Jason Lee middle school that take in all different youth so they can express themselves constructively and creatively. Not only all this, but Tacoma isn't even that dangerous compared to so many cities. Sure, there are people on drugs and a lot of transients. But I do know for a fact that I would walk anywhere in Tacoma at night before I'd walk in Pioneer Square at night in Seattle.
Yeah, 30 somethings wearing their pants around their ankles......REJECTED! all day. They are not members of the community. I grew up on the East side in Salishan. I got myself out by judging appearances and rejecting those people. I don't even deal with a lot of my family because of their appearance. Go ahead and walk up Portland Ave tonight. My cousins will rob you but they're just expressing themselves. Crime in Tacoma isn't nearly as bad as it once was but you won't catch me living there anytime soon. There are much better places that I don't have to judge people by their appearances nearly as much. Also I'm talking about crime in specific areas not all of Tacoma. I suggested a good place in Tacoma and suggested not going to another.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 PM

319 posts, read 346,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Every time I see a crime in Tacoma thread, I just have to refer them to one of my favorite gangsta rap videos

It can be a little shady in Ta-Ta-Tacoma..
lol. That video is a good glimpse for some parts of Tacoma. Of course, there are some really nice parts of Tacoma too but...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
People up here make a big deal about the Tacoma crime because it is higher than Seattle and just about anywhere in Washington. But to put it into perspective, I compared the crime rates of Tacoma with Seattle, Portland, SF, and Oakland and used a 5 year avg to calculate a standard murder rate average.

Tacoma - 5.6 murder avg per 100K population
Portland - 3.0
Seattle - 3.2
Oakland - 25.6
San F - 6.4
It's funny how people talk about Tacoma being so dangerous on CD. I'm guessing they remember from way back when.

Anyway you'll notice that even Asheville (the place CD likes to treat like a magical fantasy land of sunshine & rainbows) has a higher murder rate at 7.0 avg per 100k population (2012).

Found this site http://tacomastories.com/ that has each murder covered by the guy who runs the site. You'll notice a number of them are either domestic situations or involve very young children in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington