Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 AM

30 posts, read 66,135 times

Advertisements

I recently visited the Gig Harbor area and realized that the town is lovely, but too small. Then spent some time looking at real estate in a few Tacoma neighborhoods. I had read mainly negative comments regarding Tacoma previous to this trip and was a bit surprised by what I discovered on this search. I have lived several places and have also owned lots of houses that I renovated and sold so have a good background in sussing out value.

I felt a real vibe that Tacoma is really on the rise and that lots of areas were gentrifying very rapidly. Good restaurants, grocery stores and general services seemed pretty available. Defiance Park is an incredible asset.

I feel that there is a "buzz" beginning in Tacoma that will really lift this town rapidly in the very near future. Also liked that there was a very authentic vibe there with "real folks/neighborhoods" and lots of diversity. Met a few young folks who had moved there for better housing prices and were still working in Seattle. There is a very interesting art scene.

My gut reaction from this trip (and a couple of others which will happen soon) is that folks will look back in ten years and say that they wished they had invested when it was "cheap".

I am NOT a real estate agent and would love to have some 2015 thoughts from folks that agree/disagree with my initial impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
I've been banging the Tacoma drum for awhile. Commuting to Seattle on Sounder or one of ST's express buses is quite feasible. You can take light rail from Tacoma's Northend to the Tacoma Dome Station or there's lots of free all-day parking there. Tacoma is what Seattle used to be - affordable, funky, neighborhoody, walkable.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
I think the answer to this question depends enormously on the public transit situation and how much public transit infrastructure can be built in Tacoma.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Tacoma is amazing and incredibly underrated. Of course it's on the rise, it's kept what Seattle lost and can never get back. Old historical charm. It is a city of artists and bohemians. Born and raised. But to be honest I dont think I'm being biased. It was the best place to grow up. Since October 8th I've been traveling the US and will finish my journey on July 24th. There are some amazing place out there. But nothing compares. So thankful to have been a part of such an underground city culture. Few know it's wonders and treasures. With the Seattle hype, more people are moving to the area. It's already happening, but it wont be much longer until Tacoma is prime real estate. It always has been to me. I'm excited for its changes, but I also hope it maintains it's beauty and character.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,184 times
I am a converted Tacoma fan-girl. As soon as the value in our house come up, I hope we can sell and move to an area close to Ruston Way.

I did not grow up near Tacoma and used to look down on it. But that was before I knew what the city was like. It has great restaurants, funky independent retail, fantastic parks. Walkable, bike-able. All for hundreds of thousands less than Seattle. The light rail is expanding. I think what hurts Tacoma the most are the public schools, but they have improved and continued to do so.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a home in a great Tacoma neighborhood. I'll be jealous of you!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,306 times
Hey all new here; I'm starting my quest on research of Tacoma and the surrounding areas as I am likely to relocate next summer from Southern Oregon for a 2.5 year stint with the Golden Ears Hearing Dog training center; much of my research so far has been older threads from 2 years ago to about 8 years ago so I kinda would like to get a 2015 perspective (sorry not trying to take over your thread OP) I'm a little bit apprehensive of what I'm reading; obviously I need to come up for a visit to really get a feel for Tacoma; I've been through it a number of times never really seen it.

I have a decent income that will support my living expenses/needs; not looking for luxury but I could since I have that much income available to me but I would rather use that income for other things that would enrich my experience in life and in the community while I am there. I am not crazy about art; I love technology and aviation, but I am no stranger to living in somewhat artistic communities (where I live lots of people like music and art nights/walks, etc); I have been to those events but I tend to shy away from them when people are so disorganized darting all over the place which makes driving rather difficult for me which will also make me apprehensive about living in Tacoma.

I have never lived in a city with 200k people; the largest city I have ever lived in on my own is Vancouver, WA from 2000 to 2005; I can't say that Tacoma will be the same even though both Tacoma and Vancouver are both spread out which is kinda good and bad I don't mind that; I would probably use a mix of personal vehicle and public transit as needed or when practical to reduce my apprehension of drivers who are a cacophony out there.

Do I like views? Eh i suppose, I don't like boredom so I suppose a view of the sound AND the mountains at the same time would be good but I don't like stairs and people hate me because I am profoundly hard of hearing and sometimes forget/realize my TV or music might be a tad bit too loud (and I do my best to stay respectful in that regard) so I'd more than likely would like to live close to Tacoma but with neighbors who are spread out a bit.

So I'd like to know what the current situation is and if anyone can provide links on further reading; pictures, etc (of course I will continue to do my research); I believe I want to stay in the Northern part of Tacoma and maybe west of I-5? (as east of I-5 seems to have some lower property values and crime?

Oh, I tried to find discussion groups on Facebook related to Tacoma community in general; could't find any so any help in that regards would be cool too

Last edited by mynetdude; 04-04-2015 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: added another question

Old 04-11-2015, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 66,135 times
This has been great input to my original question. Getting the feeling that I'm not the only one who hears those distant drums beating on Tacoma. The housing prices are still crazy reasonable, as are the property taxes. Back in July for another "snoop around". Thanks for the input.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
I discovered Tacoma in October 2012 during my visit to the region. It was a place I wanted to check out despite its image. Though there were some undesirable areas (just like in Boston), I overall liked what I saw.

I chatted with a young barista at Starbucks there who told me he'd rather be in Tacoma than Seattle. I'd still take Sesttle any day, but Tacoma could be an option for some.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:38 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
The problem with Tacoma is that there are less jobs to be had. It's not the booming tech city like Seattle 30 miles north. But if I had a job, and could commute easily from Tacoma? Sure! Tacoma's great! And underrated. And pretty. Sometimes, not having an economic boom is a good thing. It means you don't have to tear down every cool historic building in sight. Tacoma has some very cool old buildings.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,306 times
never thought I'd see a reply...

Yeah my first post was a little long/winded but I still got a lot of info from scouring threads related to Tacoma and related areas; that being said I've started talking to a lot of people who live kinda that way and what their thoughts are, etc.

I've asked a lot about Federal Way, Gig Harbor, Olympia-Lacey, Parkland, etc. I have even looked at the chamber of commerce websites; maps are not very plentiful IMO.

I've narrowed down my living "region" of Tacoma; it will likely be in the NW quadrant at least north of I-5 but west of the 705 freeway (and why is it so short? Or why even have it at all??? It sure seems like a waste of cement for something so short????) OR I will live in Gig Harbor depending on if I don't get any good vibes from Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington