Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

You won't know it till you live it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM

437 posts, read 435,993 times
How many people can realistically come live somewhere and test drive it 3-4 + months? ...heh heh
Did YOU?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:45 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
3-4 months is not living it. That is visiting it.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:50 AM

29 posts, read 33,120 times
I'm thinking of moving away because I really miss having snow in winter. I don't even dislike rain or "darkness" (where are people coming from that it's light in the winter?), I just want a nice sheet of snow on the lawn at Christmas time.

And also to be able to afford a house that has a lawn.

It kills me, because I love everything else about this area.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Come in November & stay thru February or March.
Was responding to this suggestion.......

Old 11-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotPikachu View Post
(where are people coming from that it's light in the winter?)
I wondered the same thing.....cuz.....um, it's getting pretty dark here in So. Cal by 4:00 pm.....
I don't personally change my life patterns/activities by light or dark. I still have the same amount of work to do whatever the light factor, and I just keep working or doing. Still go out and ride my bike at night---I just put a headlight on.

And nice to hear you like it so well regardless, NotPikachu! (I was starting to think WA-tonians were maybe not allowed to admit they like it there and find the dreariness bearable..... )

Not everyone is in love with the sun, as is presumed....not even "all" us Californians. I find sun can be as much of a curse, as some WA-tonians apparently feel the rain/clouds/mist/dreariness are there.

Last edited by carolochs; 11-14-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 11:06 AM

579 posts, read 432,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotPikachu View Post
I don't even dislike rain or "darkness" (where are people coming from that it's light in the winter?)
There are lots of other places that have more light during the day. The heavy cloud cover here makes it darker all the time.

Quote:
And also to be able to afford a house that has a lawn.
Yes, this!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Seabeck: Webcams in the Region of Seabeck, Washington, USA

These are some of the webcams I follow. You can Google and find them for any area though if you want to check out a place any time of day!

Old 11-14-2015, 12:01 PM

29 posts, read 33,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
I wondered the same thing.....cuz.....um, it's getting pretty dark here in So. Cal by 4:00 pm.....
And nice to hear you like it so well regardless, NotPikachu! (I was starting to think WA-tonians were maybe not allowed to admit they like it there and find the dreariness bearable..... )
Well, to be honest I don't like the winter weather here, it's more like . . . I'm able to tolerate it. I'd much rather have snow. But it's true that I don't find the winters any darker than Spokane, where I grew up. Of course, the farther north you go the shorter days will be in the winter. So it's true the winter days are short here compared to, say, Austin TX. But the shorter the winter days in an area, the longer the summer days. (The extreme example being Antarctica, with six months of light in the summer and six months of dark in the winter.) Definitely a case of 'pick your poison.'

I love the culture of Seattle, the amount of art, the involvement in local politics, the general nerdiness, etc. I wish there was a way to merge the culture of Seattle with the weather of Spokane. I would call it . . . Spoattle.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Good observation... always wondered how Seattle compares to Spokane through the eyes of someone that has lived both.

Had a friend that worked at Mount Rainier... she said it was often above the clouds with blue sky and sun where much of the sound was deep under a cloud layer...

Western Washington is a pretty amazing place due to Puget Sound and the mountains...

One of our long time family friends born and raised in Edmond Washington married a woman from the SF Bay Area... both were widowed when they met and have an amazing life...

For the last 12 years of their marriage they tend to spend the bulk of the summer in Edmond and the bulk of winter in the SF Bay Area... it works well for them... the glorious Washington summers were not enough to overcome the winter dreariness for her being a California girl.

They both love to travel and he is an avid skier... they met traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington