Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

We haven't left yet, though it will be too expensive to stay where we are when we retire, we'll still be in western WA, just a less expensive part. The "gloomy" weather is a big plus, it keeps everything green, and I hate hot weather. The few people I know that did leave loved it here, but either got transferred or a much better job offer in another state. One was laid off from Microsoft recently and the best job he found was in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
I lived on the West side for four years, and was never happier than when I saw Western WA in the rear-view mirror.

Weather was, of course, the main factor, and like Seacove said - it's more the lack of sun for months at a time, than it is the rain.

The second factor for me was traffic. In Eastern WA, traffic can be bad in Spokane, in Yakima, etc, but the rest of the East side is basically smooth-sailing. The time required to get to a destination is based on the distance to get there, not the number of cars and stoplights in your way.

In Western WA, however, there are very few places it seems, even in the rural areas, that don't have tons of traffic at all times. I traveled back to Olympia just this last weekend, and I got depressed as soon as turned off of I-90 onto Highway 18 to Auburn - the bumper-to-bumper traffic just instantaneously appeared.

Granted, those factors are certainly relative, i.e. Western WA's traffic may be great compared to Los Angeles, but you asked for reasons.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 AM

403 posts, read 681,361 times
Because I'm stupid, and got a bit impatient. After graduating HS in MI, then putzing around for a couple of years at the University of Oklahoma, the Navy brought me up to NAS Whidbey in 1987. Shortly after I declared that I would not return to MI winters nor OK summers. I got out in '92, married in '93, and finished school at the UW in '96. The same year I got married, I picked up a lab assistant job at the still-young biotech Immunex, and worked there through the Amgen transition until Amgen saw fit to lay off most of our department in 2011. At the time biotech hiring was flat, with no obvious signs of perking up and a family to take care of, so I looked out of the area. I saw one particular position at MD Anderson in Houston, that was a unique research institute being comprised of industry experienced research people, and was offering industry level salary, so I applied for and got it. With great reluctance, I moved us down to the Houston area.

Within a year, Seattle Genetics was hiring for positions similar to my work, and soon other positions began to open up. Too late though, as nearly all of my co-workers that were laid off were available for these positions. Now, Amgen has since closed the site and the area is flooded with very good people for anything available, and being out of state I stand little chance of getting into positions that open up. Age isn't exactly on my side either, as I approach 50.

So yeah, I chased a decent salary to a place that I am, quite frankly, absolutely miserable in. Fortunately, I don't dislike my job, but that is a small consolation. I love the climate of Western WA, and spent a good portion of the year in the mountains or on trails. There's a lot about the area there that, while hard to put to words, just resonates with me. My wife was also born and raised in Tacoma, leaving WA only during a stint in the Army during Desert Storm. So she is quite homesick as well.

I will try to get back eventually, and am even considering lesser positions to do so, but my son just started college here and my daughter is just a couple of years away. Who knows? Four years ago if you told me I'd be living in Texas I would have laughed you out of the room. So I have to have hope that another change will come. But, in short, my move was a mistake.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 20,024 times
Has anyone tried the daylight-type (6000K) lightbulbs in their homes to combat S.A.D.?

I have heard these work, but am curious myself.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:23 AM

437 posts, read 435,914 times
I really, REALLY appreciate these personal stories. You know how it is with forums such as this. You get a ton of opinions on things, but each person's skill sets, filters, criteria, living situation and reasons for doing things can be quite different! So you try to sift out what you can identify with and weigh and measure info you perhaps had not thought of before as well.....

Resonate. That word. Yea....exactly what is resonating with me re: WA. Even the gloom. It can be difficult to describe to folks without possibly sounding whacko, but my husband and I both feel this deep *calling* to be in an environment that brings out our best selves. Deep forest and access to water do that for us. We used to vacation annually at Lake Tahoe and honestly....we were entirely different human beings while there, roaming the woods, hiking near the many lakes, streams. Not that we are terrible human beings when not in the forests - heh heh, but it had such a "we're home!" feel about it! It positively felt magical! EVERY time we'd go, and even on the dreary days. A deep, depressive funk set upon us as soon as we packed up the vehicles to head home to So. CA...and that funk didn't leave for months, if at all. The profound LACK of trees here had a lot to do with it. And the trees that are here are puny, paltry excuses for trees, along with the desert climate. All we could think of is getting back to trees again. But Tahoe has exceeded our price range, for the things we want anyway--including some land to have animals on--which is kind of rare to find in Tahoe proper, and getting even more expensive in nearby areas like Truckee. We also want space and remoteness. Our oldest son moving to WA kind of opened up our eyes to the possibility of WA instead. And now...it's like we're obsessed. I read and watch any and everything I can about locales near forested/water regions -- I'm on several real estate watch lists. This forum has been very enlightening.

Fortunately for me, I'm a home-based business so I wouldn't need to go out much or deal with traffic, and we're just finagling what to do with my husband who could either sell his business here and work for someone else there.....or possibly sign on with me and help me grow my business even more (which the opportunity is there, I just need more hands on deck to handle it all, and he could be that--if he's a mind to)...or plan the move when he's more able to retire and/or just work part-time. He has two skill sets -- plumbing contractor and composer/guitarist (contemporary jazz)....so would need to be near some hub of client base -- or within a reasonable driving time range. We plan a trip up in the not too distant future (preferably in winter months) to scope out the regions we're most attracted to, and really get a taste for what life would be like. Drive the roads, locate the stores, find a good vet, visit the medical center, etc......

analogkid84: Houston. Hm. I hear ya. Our daughter is a professional soccer player for the Houston Dash and suffered an ACL injury this year that took her out of play for the season. We flew down there twice during the course of her surgery and follow-up care needed. Compared to WA, and even CA---whew--the thing that strikes me most about TX is how flat and dry it is. TOTAL contrast to WA. Our daughter lives in a fairly nice section (near Rice University) of Houston and there a lot of beautiful old growth trees there......but still, Houston at-large is still .....Houston. I can see how you'd be homesick for WA..... I was actually homesick for CA after being there.

I'd be willing to bet that WA based job opportunities would be willing to take a chance on you despite being out-of-town, just based specifically on the fact that you HAVE lived there before and know what you're getting into with the weather and how badly you wish to return. Sometimes pleading your case at the personal level has power!

Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Granted, those factors are certainly relative, i.e. Western WA's traffic may be great compared to Los Angeles, but you asked for reasons.
Here in San Diego it's nearly if not already as bad as L.A....so yes, my measuring stick is that level of *bad*....heh heh. Western WA may look like a walk-in-da-park to us after what we're accustomed to. And it's actually more my husband who deals with it (his work takes him on the road most the day) so he's the one bitching and moaning about traffic worsening. I stay happily cocooned in my home workshop and rarely leave the house, rely heavily on UPS and mail deliveries and pick-ups to run my business. So I enjoy a certain degree of obliviousness. But he deals with it and I get to deal with the grumpiness-caused on the end of the day

This is why we're planning a trip up there where we can drive the streets, do everyday stuff particular to us, try to get a real taste for what everyday life would be like.......weather and all. I keep an eye on the weather reports for the area we're interested in, and there's usually at least 3 out of 7 days that have some sun, or has been for the last several months. I could live with that. Will continue to monitor throughout the winter. Cuz yeah.....I do think S.A.D. is a real thing and might affect me more than I *think* it will. But truly, the complete reverse happens with too much sun and heat, as well! I am SO over dreading these well-over-90-degree days....and SDG&E So freakin' expensive that you can't afford to run your A/C. We decided to limit our A/C use to only 2 hours per day, only when we were our most miserable....and even at that, our bill last month was well over $400.00 for a 3 bedroom house, just two people in it.

Suddenly rain, and mist, and gloom don't seem so bad in comparison to that...... At least when I'm cool I don't bite people's heads off or snarl quite so much.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
Has anyone tried the daylight-type (6000K) lightbulbs in their homes to combat S.A.D.? I have heard these work, but am curious myself.
Hi Talesin....I have a friend who lives in Montana, used to live in WA, and she swears by using these. She is an artist and indoors most days at her easel. She says she feels much better when exposed to this light. I'm sure everyone is different, but couldn't hurt to try!

Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We haven't left yet, though it will be too expensive to stay where we are when we retire, we'll still be in western WA, just a less expensive part. The "gloomy" weather is a big plus, it keeps everything green, and I hate hot weather. The few people I know that did leave loved it here, but either got transferred or a much better job offer in another state. One was laid off from Microsoft recently and the best job he found was in Arizona.
I worry about the "when we retire" part, too. The sliding scale property taxes part. We want a place to live out our days in...not have to contemplate another move when we're older. Which part are you in WA?

Our oldest son works for MS, paralegal, and was sweating those layoffs. He seems to be in a dept. not heavily laid-off though, fortunately. He hates working for corporations that you never know are going to pull the rug out from under you.

We've mostly always been self-employed...and there is comfort and unique stress in whatever way you earn your keep.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
In California I have several older/retired former Washington residents... all left for job opportunities...

One of my oldest neighbor born and raised on the Columbia river area and left at age 18 for SF Bay Area and said it was the best decision of her life... anything to get off the farm... she is 96

Funny thing is my neighbors in Washington all have roots in California... many first came to Washington via the military... most are from Southern California... even if they have been in Washington 30+ years.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Sometimes you just want a change.......
I've spent over 40 years in S. CA........
I want to get lost in Middle Earth, and I suspect W. WA is the closest thing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington