Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:44 PM

88 posts, read 196,085 times

Advertisements

It's very serendipitous that this thread took a turn for the technological since that was next on my list of questions to ask. However I see a ton of counties that are being mentioned, and it's actually just a bit difficult for me to associate counties with the cities that could of them... Is there some way that can be narrowed down for me to some degree- or is there a website I'm missing that might tell me? I'm having trouble deciphering where is what through my own efforts.

Thanks again, yall- this has been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:49 AM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
My husband and I moved from Palm Srings, CA to Washington, 2 years ago. Everybody told us we would hate the rain, but we wanted cool and rural. We haven't been sorry a single day. We live in Monroe, which is a small rural town. "In town" is pretty suburban, but the outskirts are agricultural. To give you an idea of the layout, we are in Snohomish county, right on the border of King County. Seattle is in King county. The small towns around us are Snohomish, Duvall, and Carnation. There is also Sultan and Gold Bar, nearby.

Before moving here, lots of Seattle-type people had quite a bit of criticism of this area. I have found it to be warm, friendly and wonderful. I think city-folk see farm fences and tractors in the yard and view it as "trashy." Like any town, all of these have less-desirable neighborhoods, but they're pretty easy to identify when you drive through.

My husband has several offices throughout western Washington, so does a lot of driving. From where we are, he can get to Bothell in about 20 minutes, Redmond/Bellevue in 30-45 depending on traffic, and Mountlake Terrace in 45. These are cities around Seattle, where EMT work is probably available. He works regular daytime hours, so he is out there in the thick of traffic. He says living in the country makes the drive totally worth it. We can also get to Sea-Tac airport in 45 minutes.

We've learned that housing here is more expensive than you would expect, but gas is cheaper, and there is no state income tax, so it seems to balance out. With some hunting, you could probably find something in your price range. We found our place on hotpads.com.

We have satellite internet, and it goes out all the time. We don't mind. Gives us more time outside.

If you're interested in this area, you can check out the websites for the individual towns. You can also take a look at the Monroe Monitor and Sky Valley News, which is the weekly newspaper. www.monroemonitor.com.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:33 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
My husband and I moved from Palm Srings, CA to Washington, 2 years ago. Everybody told us we would hate the rain, but we wanted cool and rural. We haven't been sorry a single day. We live in Monroe, which is a small rural town. "In town" is pretty suburban, but the outskirts are agricultural. To give you an idea of the layout, we are in Snohomish county, right on the border of King County. Seattle is in King county. The small towns around us are Snohomish, Duvall, and Carnation. There is also Sultan and Gold Bar, nearby.

Before moving here, lots of Seattle-type people had quite a bit of criticism of this area. I have found it to be warm, friendly and wonderful. I think city-folk see farm fences and tractors in the yard and view it as "trashy." Like any town, all of these have less-desirable neighborhoods, but they're pretty easy to identify when you drive through.

My husband has several offices throughout western Washington, so does a lot of driving. From where we are, he can get to Bothell in about 20 minutes, Redmond/Bellevue in 30-45 depending on traffic, and Mountlake Terrace in 45. These are cities around Seattle, where EMT work is probably available. He works regular daytime hours, so he is out there in the thick of traffic. He says living in the country makes the drive totally worth it. We can also get to Sea-Tac airport in 45 minutes.

We've learned that housing here is more expensive than you would expect, but gas is cheaper, and there is no state income tax, so it seems to balance out. With some hunting, you could probably find something in your price range. We found our place on hotpads.com.

We have satellite internet, and it goes out all the time. We don't mind. Gives us more time outside.

If you're interested in this area, you can check out the websites for the individual towns. You can also take a look at the Monroe Monitor and Sky Valley News, which is the weekly newspaper. www.monroemonitor.com.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
As I mentioned earlier, definitions of "rural" vary. But official definitions would certainly NOT define anywhere around Monroe as rural. Monroe itself qualifies as "micropolitan" (not rural) and Monroe is not even the largest city in Snohomish County.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/def...013/b13-01.pdf

Having a couple of fields squeezed between two big cities does not make that area rural.

Just don't want the OP to be expecting "real" rural, and be disappointed by the lack of rural when she gets here, is all...

I do agree with your comment about the internet - there's nothing I like less than sitting in front of a computer for hours.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
http://www.coilgun.info/rover_wa/ima...-map-large.png

King = Seattle
Pierce = Tacoma
Spokane = Spokane
Clark = Vancouver
Kitsap = Bremerton/Port Orchard
Snohomish = Everett
Whatcom = Bellingham
Thurston = Olympia
Yakima = Yakima
Kittitas = Ellensburg/Cle Elum
Chelan = Wenatchee/Leavenworth
Benton = Kennewick (Tri-Cities)
Franklin = Pasco/Richland (Tri-Cities)
Walla Walla = Walla Walla
Whitman = Pullman
Jefferson = Port Townsend
Clallam = Port Angeles/Sequim
Grays Harbor = Aberdeen/Hoquiam
Lewis = Centralia
Skagit = Mt. Vernon/Anacortes
Island = Oak Harbor/Coupeville

Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
You'll find Clallam County on the Olympic Peninsula to be rural & cheap compared to Austin. You may be able to find work in it or the adjacent county, Jefferson, both beautiful areas, or on the Kitsap Peninsula, more suburban, down the road 60 miles from Clallam/Jefferson & people actually do commute across the Hood Canal Bridge.

Also, people don't speak up on this forum a lot like they do on other forums, I guess it's the PNW way.

Good luck to you, and if you move here, welcome to Washington!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-21-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, definitions of "rural" vary. But official definitions would certainly NOT define anywhere around Monroe as rural. Monroe itself qualifies as "micropolitan" (not rural) and Monroe is not even the largest city in Snohomish County.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/def...013/b13-01.pdf

Having a couple of fields squeezed between two big cities does not make that area rural.

Just don't want the OP to be expecting "real" rural, and be disappointed by the lack of rural when she gets here, is all...

I do agree with your comment about the internet - there's nothing I like less than sitting in front of a computer for hours.
I agree the town itself would not qualify as rural, but I have to disagree about the rest. We're on a cattle ranch, surrounded by farmland. It takes us 20 minutes to get to either downtown Monroe or Duvall. We're driving through nothing but farmland for, probably, 18 minutes of that drive. I regularly have to slow down when I get stuck behind a tractor, and it's not unheard of to have to stop and wait for an escaped farm animal to get out of the road - had to do it just yesterday. I'm not sure how much more rural someone can get, and still be within commuting distance to a city.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:01 PM

437 posts, read 436,073 times
Interested in following this thread, too, and curious about the def. of rural. I guess after living in a tract home and neighbors so close they say "God Bless You" when I sneeze in my backyard....(Grrr!), "rural" to me is having a house on at least a couple of acres and spread out. I have lived on that size plot before and it was called rural here in CA. Not so there?

Also...is there any high speed internet at all in areas like Seabeck???

Old 10-23-2015, 07:24 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
I agree the town itself would not qualify as rural, but I have to disagree about the rest. We're on a cattle ranch, surrounded by farmland. It takes us 20 minutes to get to either downtown Monroe or Duvall. We're driving through nothing but farmland for, probably, 18 minutes of that drive. I regularly have to slow down when I get stuck behind a tractor, and it's not unheard of to have to stop and wait for an escaped farm animal to get out of the road - had to do it just yesterday. I'm not sure how much more rural someone can get, and still be within commuting distance to a city.
I guess my point was that most of the official definitions of rural are classified county-by-county, so therefore Snohomish county would not be classified as rural.

Otherwise like I said, it's all relative. I was talking to a professor at WSU just the other day about the emerging practice of raising urban livestock, and apparently they consider my town (Colville) to be "peri-urban", not rural. And my county has 20 times LESS people than Snohomish county -by last census: 43K vs 745K.

So apparently, I'm not even rural (according to WSU), and we can drive for well over an hour before getting to ANY populated area.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Interested in following this thread, too, and curious about the def. of rural. I guess after living in a tract home and neighbors so close they say "God Bless You" when I sneeze in my backyard....(Grrr!), "rural" to me is having a house on at least a couple of acres and spread out. I have lived on that size plot before and it was called rural here in CA. Not so there?

Also...is there any high speed internet at all in areas like Seabeck???
That must be why I feel like I'm rural now! Our backyard neighbor in California used to tease the dogs over the back wall, then call the police because they were barking at him.

We moved here in May 2013, and didn't even realize we had 2 neighbors behind us until fall, when the leaves fell off the trees. The property we're currently on is a total of about 35 acres, and we rent the back portion of about 5 acres. Most of the properties around us are of a similar size.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
It's very serendipitous that this thread took a turn for the technological since that was next on my list of questions to ask. However I see a ton of counties that are being mentioned, and it's actually just a bit difficult for me to associate counties with the cities that could of them... Is there some way that can be narrowed down for me to some degree- or is there a website I'm missing that might tell me? I'm having trouble deciphering where is what through my own efforts.

Thanks again, yall- this has been great.
Go to maps.google.com and enter the county name, it will outline the county and lightly color it so you can easily see where the boundaries are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington