Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:49 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You're not lying. I was thinking more of campgrounds up the Chewuch proper, not the couple off on side roads like RG camp.
Ahh, ok-- we weren't on that side until the beginning of September. Again, not crowded by any stretch of the imagination, but granted, we didn't see it in the "height of the season".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 02:56 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, we all sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a daily basis.

Obviously, it's an "us vs. them" thing for you, and you can't wrap your mind around the fact that some people just don't see things the way you do.
I don't understand your comment. What does me "wrapping my mind around anything" have to do with the sentiment of people that I have grown up with? I don't recall implying that you had to think in any specific way - I was just relating my own life experiences. If I did do that, then I apologize.

As to the traffic thing - having grown up in Eastern Washington, I moved to Western Washington for four years right after post-doc school, and I had no idea what the "traffic report" was on the morning news. Spokane and Yakima TV stations had no such thing. So yes, comparatively, most people in the Greater Puget Sound Area do sit in bumper to bumper traffic far more often than we do.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
As to the traffic thing - having grown up in Eastern Washington, I moved to Western Washington for four years right after post-doc school, and I had no idea what the "traffic report" was on the morning news. Spokane and Yakima TV stations had no such thing. So yes, comparatively, most people in the Greater Puget Sound Area do sit in bumper to bumper traffic far more often than we do.
I'd say the I5 corridor between Everett and Tacoma would be where the traffic is basically centered. Of course, you know, there are a lot of people who don't live, work or play in that area.

I get what you are saying about things being relative. However, there are a lot of people on this side of the mountains that simply don't deal with the traffic that you are thinking of- myself included. Meaning that it's not as simple as saying "well, it's just less than you're used to".

Old 10-31-2015, 03:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You've lived in Seattle for 25 years so you have no concept of how many people flock to the east side. You are used to even worse congestion so you don't even blink at thousands (yes, thousands. many thousands) of cars that make the trip with you and across 2 and 20. But its very noticeable to someone who lives there, and despite your benevolent spending of money doesn't improve their lives one bit. A minority profit from it but a majority don't derive any benfit.
Don't forget the WA and county tourism boards do a great marketing jobs... even saw spots for Leavenworth and WA wine trail in California.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
NE WA is as forested, or more forested, than Western WA.
The fact that the forest service roads are simply better maintained and more extensive east of the mountains than they are on the west side is a primary reason why we enjoy spending so much time there.

My partner is a big fan of "bumpy roads" and ridge running. North central WA is perfect for that.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, we all sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a daily basis.

Obviously, it's an "us vs. them" thing for you, and you can't wrap your mind around the fact that some people just don't see things the way you do.
Its not us vs them its 2 perspectives and you're the one who isn't investing the thought and consideration to understand the other. I have lived on both sides of the crest. You can't fool me once but not twice.

Honestly, there are comparatively few places in western Washington where heavy traffic isn't the norm. If you name some of the exceptions here on the internet, someone will write an article on "the last great places" and in 10-15 years they won't be exceptions anymore.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Never noticed traffic to be much of a problem on 101 which is about as West as one can get...

Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Its not us vs them its 2 perspectives and you're the one who isn't investing the thought and consideration to understand the other. I have lived on both sides of the crest. You can't fool me once but not twice.
Please explain to me what's to understand.

The "animosity" between the coasties and those that live on the other side of the mountains (is there a less than stellar term for them?) was brought up by someone living on the east side. I'm saying that I haven't seen it other than on this particular forum- frankly most people I know out here simply don't travel that much to even give a second thought to "the other side of the mountains". I've also said that in my experience travelling to north central Washington, I have not seen anything remotely close to "hordes" of people-- once you get out of the 3 block area of downtown Winthrop, of course.

Yes, there are people who go over the mountains to visit, especially in the summertime.

If you are so concerned about the region not getting any "bang for the buck" from tourism, you might want to speak to those people paying for the spots getting a lot of play on this side of the mountains. Let's see, Ellensburg, Chelan County and Grant County seem to be spending some bucks to advertise here recently.

Quote:
Honestly, there are comparatively few places in western Washington where heavy traffic isn't the norm. If you name some of the exceptions here on the internet, someone will write an article on "the last great places" and in 10-15 years they won't be exceptions anymore.
Of course- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the Tacoma-Seattle-Everett corridor doesn't have an equivalent in eastern WA. But, "comparatively few" is not the same as "few". It's really not a huge secret that the farther you get away from that corridor, the less traffic there's going to be.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM

The way things are going I think you could add Olympia to Tacoma-Seattle-Everett corridor

Old 10-31-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The way things are going I think you could add Olympia to Tacoma-Seattle-Everett corridor
I was thinking that- at least through the JBLM area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington