Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
We are talking about Port Townsend....right?
Shhhh. We don't talk about our little heroin and meth problem, here.
Wouldn't want to scare away the touristas or the investas.

Yes, I have found syringes in Fort Worden. They claim to have it "all under
control" but the people running the place seem clueless as to what really
goes on up there. They have volunteers drive through the park to check it,
but that's all they do, is drive through the park to check it. They don't get
out and walk through the bunkers at night. They don't have big searchlights
to drive along and check the visible area. It's just people in their cars and
trucks, driving through the park. From what I see, they actually do more
damage to the trails than any sort of deterrant to the drugging and graffiti
that goes on up there.

With the college moving in, and more people becoming aware of the greivously
unpoliced batteries ("bunkers") sitting up there, I'm guessing it'll all get much
worse before it ever gets better.

However, now that it's being run "For Profit"... expect it to become
a sanitized parody of itself, pretty much like everything else in PT and
on the Olympic Peninsula. Funny thing is though, a time of reckoning
is on the horizon. More and more people are moving to the area due
to climate change, political unrest and upheaval, etc. etc. etc. The Big
Fish that have been running this Little Pond for so long, might be
in for a shock when all the "new blood" compromises their
precious iron-fisted control.

Time will tell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColetraneFan19 View Post
With the college moving in, and more people becoming aware of the greivously
unpoliced batteries ("bunkers") sitting up there, I'm guessing it'll all get much
worse before it ever gets better.
This is looking like one person is re-registering, each with a single post.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:18 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is looking like one person is re-registering, each with a single post.
I seriously hope it's not that bad. I week from Monday I'll start a week of vacation. I was planning to spend most of that time kayak camping at Ft Worden and Ft Flagler. I hope ColetraneFan19 is full of it, and just screwing with us, or trying to drive people away from the area.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I seriously hope it's not that bad. I week from Monday I'll start a week of vacation. I was planning to spend most of that time kayak camping at Ft Worden and Ft Flagler. I hope ColetraneFan19 is full of it, and just screwing with us, or trying to drive people away from the area.
I have never seen syringes there but can believe it has happened. The rest of the post has more than a kernel of truth to it. BUT not nearly bad enough to be worth changing your plans over. Go ahead and camp at the WWTA sites or the car campground and don't worry. FW was busy this week because of school break but things should revert to normal spring mode next week.

If I see someone kayak camping at the WWTA site, I'll say hi in case it is you.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have never seen syringes there but can believe it has happened. The rest of the post has more than a kernel of truth to it. BUT not nearly bad enough to be worth changing your plans over. Go ahead and camp at the WWTA sites or the car campground and don't worry. FW was busy this week because of school break but things should revert to normal spring mode next week.

If I see someone kayak camping at the WWTA site, I'll say hi in case it is you.
Thanks, and a friendly 'hello' would be appreciated.

Yeah, I always try to take vaction during the slower periods: January-February, late April-early May, and mid September-early October. Hopefully the weather will cooperate...

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
If it makes you feel better, I personally would not fear camping there, and I am female. The "undesirables" set up in places that are not designated campsites, away from the normal supervised areas. You can introduce yourself to the campground hosts to let them know you will be at the site, and if you are really concerned, get their or the ranger's phone number. I doubt it will be needed, but peace of mind is good.

Weather is always the big question mark! At least if it's pouring rain, there are nice places to hang out, like the cafe in the Commons. Have fun, and I'll be sure to say hi if I see a kayak camper there. Don't let the family of river otters get your food!

Old 04-10-2016, 02:42 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
I take hikes around the dreaded upper bunkers in the woods, never had a problem or saw syringes...I have my dogs with me, though. And I will admit that I've seen some strange things in the woods on the Olympic Peninsula. No place is Mayberry, you have to be sensible anywhere, especially being female. But where you're going is a state park. Good grief, I find syringes in the restrooms at Gasworks Park in Seattle, it happens

Old 04-12-2016, 11:58 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Note about food services at Fort Worden..

Quote:
PORT TOWNSEND — Fort Worden State Park, under the auspices of the Public Development Authority, will rebrand and revise its food service options beginning in May.

On May 6, the Guard House, located at a four-way stop sign just inside the park, will have a “soft opening” after several delays.

Also, the Cable House, a building once known as the Canteen and located near the beach next to the Port Townsend Marine Science Center, will reopen with an menu with burgers and fresh food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington