Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times

Advertisements

Vagus, I was referring to renting...unless you had a HUGE down payment, you're right, a $1200 mortgage wouldn't get you much.
fb1907, I can't post links on here but if you'd like some great Gig Harbor rental websites, check my profile and contact me.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 19,279 times
lmao its funny wen people try to be the better peson and try and say good things about somthing yea its true Tacoma northend is a very nice place n tacoma outher then that no!!!! i lived in all the bad areas in tacoma and no no u do not want to move there one hting will happen to u alot ur car wil lbe sotlen and broke into more times then u know bad property vandalism and schoools are not good at all very ghetto people go there over 50 gangs in all the schools together and education is very low i didnt start gettin education till i moved to renton for high school and Tg is right in the ghetto of the hill top hospital is ok itself bur areas not good at all. but all i can say is better have enough money saved up so u can move back wen u get here ( :

Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
Really? Stadium district is nice. UP is nice. Fircrest is nice. West Tacoma (Narrows) is great. Central Tacoma (12th-19th) is very nice. Even some very nice S Tacoma neighborhoods. Many parts of Hilltop have even been cleaned up. Downtown Tacoma's new condo district is gorgeous. 6th Ave dist. is a great place.
There are thousands of kids getting educations in the Tacoma schools, and there are plenty of private schools in Tacoma.
There are definately rough spots in Tacoma, just like every other big city in the US. Don't bash an entire city due to a few bad experiences.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 22,705 times
Trying to give a commute time from 'Tacoma' to 'Seattle' is a little unrealistic. Both cover a lot of territory and there are nice neighborhoods in Tacoma that have a 20 minute drive just to get to the freeway. Getting from parts of Parkland to downtown Tacoma could take you 40 minutes during peak travel times. Downtown Seattle would more realistically be an hour and a half. I live 3 minutes from the freeway off 56th. During rush hour it would take me an hour to get to downtown Seattle, IF there are no holdups, and there are a lot of holdups.

I see no reason to aim for a job in Seattle though. There are plenty of law firms here.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM

6 posts, read 9,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1907 View Post
Hi everyone

I need everyones help...
I was called in for an interview at Tacoma General Hospital. Since I always loved the idea of living in WA(seattle) I was thrilled... But much to my suprise, I have been hearing nothing but negative things about Tacoma. I know it is not Seattle but really? And a move from New York to WA is a pretty big one (distance). So is it worth it since I also have a job offer from Philadelphia. I have few questions. I should get a better idea if I could get some responses.

1) I would rather rent at first. Where to look. My wife is a paralegal so she needs to be close to city for big law firms. Maybe Seattle even. What are my options with and without commuting?

2) I dont mind living in the city as long as it is a nice area. I would rather pay little more than commute for a long time. Our price range is about $1200 for at least a one bedroom. Is this reasonable?

Any other inputs are appreciated
We purchased a home, actually very near Tacoma General, 2 yrs. ago. Proctor, Old Town, the North End, etc. are very safe areas. don't know who told you Tacoma is bad...it is NOT if you live north of 6th St. Our neighbors R very nice, professional physicians, retired longshoreman, Madigan hosp. staff, younger couples in sales and management. We LOVE it.
Many churches and good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington