Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:44 PM

149 posts, read 276,172 times

Advertisements

Been a while since I posted. I moved up to Gig Harbor and was busy settling into my life here. But I've been struggling a lot with winters. This year so far has been the worst, battling depression, anger, etc. Whenever the sun shines, like it is today, I completely feel different.

I'm guessing after 22 years in Florida and 23 years in California - I'm just not handling the constant grey as much as i thought I would.

But there are so many other things I love about Washington. I dont really want to move back to California or even Florida - so looking for other options.

Does Olympia get less rain and grey / gloom then I get now in Gig Harbor? Do I need to go into the "rain shadow" (still researching and learning that part). Do I need to go to Eastern Washington?

Western Washington seems to fit with my lifestyle - as I guess I identify myself more with a liberal viewpoint, very organic / green / paleo / naturopathic / holistic... etc. Or you could just call me a tree-hugging hippie chick - I answer to that also, lol.

Anyway, would love some suggestions on where I can start to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:29 PM

353 posts, read 932,742 times
AFAIK Olympia would not be an improvement and all western WA would be similar. Maybe eastern WA, or possibly Bend. OR?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:18 PM

403 posts, read 678,687 times
Somewhere in the rainshadow maybe?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 PM

14,414 posts, read 11,929,161 times
Olympia would be about the same.

The one Western WA location that is different, is Sequim. On the NE corner of the peninsula.

Olympic Rain Shadow Map and Location

You can get yourself a sun lamp indoors. It helps some people.

All of us get tired of winter by now.... but there's only another month until March, and we get a lot of lovely bright days in March. (And then before too long it will be too hot and we'll be complaining again. )

Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM

I did drive up to Sequim and found it felt isolated to me - I just didn't quite click with the area. Tried the lights, not quite doing it for me. Good to know on Olympia being pretty much same weather.... hmmm

Old 01-24-2016, 07:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,641,546 times
Olympic Peninsula rainshadow areas are a little drier and brighter, but it is still the PNW coastal region in winter, a.k.a. often dreary. And have you heard of Fogust and Juneuary yet?

This winter was worse than the last few, if that's any consolation. More heavy rains instead of drizzle, more all-dayers instead of off-and-on showers. Yesterday a longtime PNW res told me he thought it was the worst he had seen, though he does not seem bothered much.

East of the Cascades is much sunnier. But if you think Sequim is isolated, good luck in eastern WA. There is Spokane to consider.

Today I saw forsythias starting to bud, and so is my red flowering currant. Seems about a month early, so maybe, maybe, spring is around the corner. Another month+ till Daylight Savings Time, yay!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,577,144 times
Gig Harbor averages 139 days with sun. Sequim is actually less at 132, the difference is in rain, far less in Sequim but still a lot of clouds. Sunny days are those where most of the day is sunny. I spend a lot of time in Sequim, and they may see the sun almost every day but often for just an hour or two in the afternoon. You really have to go east of the mountains for real sunny days. The closest is probably Ellensburg, with 204 sunny days, but it's even more "isolated" than Sequim. It sounds like you need to consider the Tri-Cities or Spokane.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:48 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,502,392 times
I live in "the rainshadow", it's really not an improvement, although I really did enjoy the whole 5 minutes of sunshine we had today.

I'm also from a "sunny state", the long gray winters are unbearable, but the summers here are sublime.

I also had no luck with "happy lights" until I was advised that the cheap ones (they emit a bluish light) are ineffectual. The light has to be 10,000 lux...mine seems to help. Also, you need to use them as directed. I also take a lot of Vitamin D

Are you able to head south for a few days? That could help. I know that I've been having dreams about Yuma, AZ for the past week or so.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 AM

This is my 3rd winter, and it's definitely been a hard one in many ways, but there are so very many things I love here. I take a ton of Vitamin D also - maybe I need to try the light thing again. And yeah, saving and taking trips might also be the answer. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,502,392 times
This is my 5th winter, & it didn't start to really get to me until last winter. When the sun is out, like today, I just try to get out in it. And when my lifestyle permits, I'm planning on making little trips to Arizona, just like the Canadians!

I've traveled to Eastern Washington a bit...I really like Wenatchee. But it seems that it is gray there also in winter, & Spokane is, too, along with ice & snow.

But, the pros of living here still outweigh the cons for me...it's beautiful!

Good luck, & please post here when you decide what to do...it may help others. And you can DM me if you want, maybe we can help get each other through the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington