Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM

88 posts, read 401,375 times

Advertisements

While I have been going around the country my license tags went past their date and I had to go online to renew them. It said I need to get an emissions test first. Since I am currently in Washington I thought I would just do it here and then they would send the info to my state and I could register online. I came from Illinois.

But when I was searching online it said it's $15 here. It doesn't cost anything in my town. Is there a place to do it where it doesn't cost anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
No. Washington has no income tax so there are little charges like these.

Washington Vehicle Emission Check Program - FAQ

Illinois Income Tax Brackets 2016

You could drive to Medford Oregon and get it for $10, Portland is $19

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...auto_emis.html

Idaho is $11 and Montana doesn't require any emissions test at all so you could move over there?

Last edited by Seacove; 02-24-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Only 5 counties in WA state require emissions testing (Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane). Your thread title mentioned Bellingham which is Whatcom county.

You can have your car tested at any center in WA state and yes, the fee for that will be $15 uniformly regardless of testing location. Forward the results to your Illinois DMV and you should be set.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
In Ga we paid between $15-25 and it had to be done Every year. Be careful though, I don't believe you can have emissions done in one state and use it to renew your tags in a different state. Meaning if you live IL you better get your emissions test there

Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
(1) Send your car to 'boarding school' (register in WA county / region without emission req, like Whatcom!). Many Seattle people keep their collector / emission issue cars registered in Whatcom!

(2) create a MT LLC to own your cars. Approximately $500 and no emission or sales tax. Many in high taxed USA states do this with motorhomes and expensive cars. There are several MT attorneys advertising this service on-line. (Tho legal, do not do this with an OR LLC, High end motorhomes manufactured in OR make it a sales tax scheme that is highly audited by WSP). You will see plenty of AK registered cars in WA, similar issue. (Sales tax free state / no emissions)

(3). Drive a 25 + yr old car

(4). Drive a car <3 yrs old.

(5) trade every yr. dealers are required to provide emission test.

Lots of options, but avoid WA dyno emission tests. My last test cost me a tranny when technician jammed my stick shift 5+ times trying to do the test. Of my 34 diesel cars, the WORST emission offender (650,000 miles). Registered less than 10% of allowable emission. That was with dino diesel. With my home brew bio-d they read ZERO emissions. That confounds the tester, and their supervisors and used to cost me 1 hr per car to prove it. Thus no more WA emission tests for me and mine.

Beware. ***RANT*** ,
WA is now a CARB state (Tho voted down by electorate....).
Whimpy past Governor agreed to make WA CARB so she could add another 500 - 1000 jobs to our WA tax burden. Same benefit CARB will acheve in 25 yrs could be realized (for free) tomorrow with conservation and clean fuels. ...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-27-2016 at 05:29 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Washington is becoming more like California every year... the West Coast Governor get together on these things saying if we all embrace it it will be quicker to implement.

I work with a Doc that has all the vehicles Alaska titled...

California and other states have anonymous reporting... he has been stopped and questioned... nothing has ever come of it.

At one time I thought WA would be a good refuge for collector cars... no longer have the same thought.

Here is what to remember... what happens in California does not stay in California and Oregon and Washington often are early adopters.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
The emissions testing in California is $30-$90 vs. $15 in Washington.

Cost of a Smog Check - Cars and Prices Paid - CostHelper.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington