U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,181 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently accepted a job in Yakima, WA. I haven't read the best reviews about Yakima, and we are looking to live in Selah or Ellensburg. We have both been raised in Florida and in a big city.

Could you please explain the weather/seasonal differences between Selah and Ellensburg? Is one preferred over the other?

When it comes to living in a new city, we are looking for low crime rate, low/reasonable cost of living, beautiful views, an active city that has plenty of things to do. Nice restaurants, live theater, arts, culture, a mall, movie theater, doesn't shut down at 9 PM, close to great hiking and water activities would be ideal.

Thank you! :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 PM

8,592 posts, read 5,374,428 times
Ellensburg is a college town. I went to school there a couple years.

It probably has more night life than Selah, but only if you like to play quarters.

Neither are big cities. Yakima isn't a big city. Yakima calls itself the Palm Springs of Washington, but I think most would snicker at that. Yakima and Selah have their share of crime problems related to farm workers who don't have year-round employment in an ag economy.

It won't look like what you picture as Washington. The scenery will look like high desert, you will be surrounded by brown hills. Hotter and drier than you might expect.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,769,995 times
Ellensburg, though the commute is awful in winter.

Downside to Ellensburg is the wind and the 5 million friends you never met in western Washington that come to visit every weekend. Town isn't too bad, but good luck finding an uncrowded rock on the National Forest or public land out in the Columbia Basin.

I don't think Ellensburg has a mall.....thank god.

Yakima is a metro area as defined by the census. It has good parts and bad parts. I would pass and live in Ellensburg. Make sure that your backyard faces east and blocks the winds that come from the west.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 PM

7,461 posts, read 6,160,834 times
If not comfortable driving a 4-wheel drive in snow and ice, I'd suggest looking twice at the prospect of commuting between Ellensburg and Yakima in winter.

West Yakima has some nice neighborhoods with good schools: West Valley, Summitview, etc. Most of the crime/drugs/prostitution/gangs are in east Yakima. For instance:

7402 Coolidge Rd, Yakima, WA 98903 | MLS #16-510 | Zillow

805 S 58th Ave, Yakima, WA 98908 | MLS #16-556 | Zillow

6005 W Chestnut Ave, Yakima, WA 98908 | MLS #16-441 | Zillow

Yakima is in "wine country" - Washington Wine Country - Tri-cities, Yakima Valley, Walla Walla Valley

You're not far from the Columbia Gorge - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area - Home

The Gorge Amphitheatre - Gorge Amphitheatre | Latest Events and Tickets

Skiing: Mission Ridge, Crystal Mountain, Alpenthal at the Summit - Ski Washington - Everything you need to know about skiing and snowboarding in Washington

And Seattle or Portland aren't that far away...

Old 05-26-2016, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 71,505 times
having just gotten back from Florida this week, the driving is really different between the two. I was driving between Orlando and Jacksonville, speed limit was like 75, I was doing 85 just trying to keep up with traffic and people were blowing by me and the police like we were standing still (100MPH+).... and the cops didn't do anything.

as others have said winter driving is not the best between Yakima and Ellensburg, snowy, icy pass you have to go over.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:53 AM

40 posts, read 57,286 times
Holy sh*t. Yeah. Culture shock. Both Ellensburg AND Yakima.

Most Washingtonians stereo-type is this: Ellensburg= cow-town/rednecks-ville Yakima= cholo/gangbanger/crimes=ville.

But y'know....thoooooooose are STEREOTYPES, right????

I agree with Diana's assessment. I noticed some really nice areas developing in Yakima. It's smack-dab in the oldest wine AVA in the State. There ARE some nice areas, for sure. But yeah, DESERT. Pure desert.

Don't know a thing about Selah.

Seasonally, Ellensburg is dry, but not desert like Yakima. It has more greenery, but not a ton more. It will be super cold and dry and have some snow in winter. Commute between the two in winter could be a challenge for Floridians for the first time.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:23 PM

7,638 posts, read 5,336,670 times
I will chime in here that an Ellensburg-Yakima commute is difficult. It isn't that Yakima has terrible winter weather, but the 82 goes up and over a high ridge and from November to April can be dicey with ice, snow, freezing rain, etc.

Ellensburg is a small college town, not much there other than CWU. However, it does have some semi-hip restaurants, bars, and coffee locations due to it being a college town. There is a Fred Meyer, but no Wal-Mart, either a good or bad thing.

Yakima, as you alluded to, does have some crime issues. However, not in all neighborhoods.

I'm sure you have already investigated the weather...hot, but dry in the summer in Yakima, cold, but not a lot of snow in the winter. Ellensburg gets more snow, is colder and windier.

Good luck with your move...please give us an update!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,181 times
Update: we lived in Selah. We both worked in Yakima, which was just a short 20 minute drive to our offices. Choosing to live in Selah over Yakima and Ellensburg was the perfect choice for us! We lived in a quiet, clean, and safe neighborhood that was family friendly; though we only have a dog. Apparently, the year we moved there was the worst winter in 20 years, which was exciting and awful as Floridians. Haha! ;-)

Selah offered the escape from the "city" but being so close to Yakima offered everything we needed like Fred Myers (grocery store), banking, restaurants, a great salon, a dine-in theater, a theater, and all the necessary comforts of a small city. I do believe we would have hated the commute from Ellensburg to Yakima because it's a good 45 minutes or so to Yakima. We loved our decision to live in Selah! It was the perfect location for us.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:37 PM

719 posts, read 837,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASox View Post
My husband has recently accepted a job in Yakima, WA. I haven't read the best reviews about Yakima, and we are looking to live in Selah or Ellensburg. We have both been raised in Florida and in a big city.

Could you please explain the weather/seasonal differences between Selah and Ellensburg? Is one preferred over the other?
No. Selah and Ellensburg are both in the eastern rain shadow. Expect hot, dry summers (but with none of the humidity you are accustomed to) and cold, dry-ish winters. The difference between the two is not noteworthy enough to mention - they're both in the same climate zone.

Quote:
When it comes to living in a new city, we are looking for low crime rate, low/reasonable cost of living, beautiful views, an active city that has plenty of things to do. Nice restaurants, live theater, arts, culture, a mall, movie theater, doesn't shut down at 9 PM, close to great hiking and water activities would be ideal.
I'm not a fan of Yakima, and, to me, Selah is Yakima (were Yakima even slightly larger, Selah would just be a neighborhood). I would describe Yakima as poor and scuzzy - and I wouldn't want to live on its doorstep, even if it is technically in a different municipality.

Ellensburg is unquestionably a nicer town (it has a new-ish college campus right in the center), but lacks a mall (although malls are kind of going by the wayside everywhere). Hiking opportunities between the two are probably about equal, although Ellensburg is closer to skiing (if you care). Yakima, being larger, will have more live entertainment (and it has minor league baseball).

Personally, it's not a part of the state I'd live in - I love the Sound; love the combination of soaring, snowy mountains, temperate climate, and a placid ocean inlet full of whales. But you could definitely do worse.

*Edit* Just noticed the update. Oh well.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 06-23-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 04:56 PM

459 posts, read 375,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASox View Post
Update: we lived in Selah. We both worked in Yakima, which was just a short 20 minute drive to our offices. Choosing to live in Selah over Yakima and Ellensburg was the perfect choice for us! We lived in a quiet, clean, and safe neighborhood that was family friendly; though we only have a dog. Apparently, the year we moved there was the worst winter in 20 years, which was exciting and awful as Floridians. Haha! ;-)

Selah offered the escape from the "city" but being so close to Yakima offered everything we needed like Fred Myers (grocery store), banking, restaurants, a great salon, a dine-in theater, a theater, and all the necessary comforts of a small city. I do believe we would have hated the commute from Ellensburg to Yakima because it's a good 45 minutes or so to Yakima. We loved our decision to live in Selah! It was the perfect location for us.
Thanks so much for the update! It's fantastic when people come back and report what they did, especially after a year or two or 4, like you, and tell us what you thought, how things worked out. When I read your original post just now, I had my opinion, which I chose to keep to myself, and good thing because it looks like you had a great experience.

Now my question: it looks like you're not there any more. Did you go back to Florida, or have you moved to another state for jobs or ...? The real question, though....why didn't you stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington