Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM

29 posts, read 28,316 times

Advertisements

Hello, ISO current information on living in Walla Walla. My fiance has a place in Waitsburg that we initially thought we would use as our main residence in a few years when my daughter is through HS. But with all the craziness increasing in Seattle, I'm starting to consider making the move now, which is my fiance's preference. Jobs are not at issue, more the trauma of taking my daughter from an urban HS (she is a freshman) and area with full amenities, to a much smaller town - Walla2 being the largest one in proximity. It will be a big adjustment for me, too, but I have lived in (and loved) both Anacortes and Bellingham, so it won't exactly be a "Green Acres" scenario, but I do wonder about the remoteness and things to do for an urban teenager that wasn't raised around horses or 4H. Am I doomed to win 'worst mom of the century'? Would you do it - escape to somewhere a bit more off the grid with a teenager who thinks North Bend, Wa is the "boonies"? Note, she is more an intellectual, not on any sports teams that I'd be yanking her from ...
TIA!!
(I have already perused existing threads about this topic but most are not current.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:00 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,641,876 times
Honestly, I wouldn't. If she's doing well in high school, I wouldn't change anything with so little left to go.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:14 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,775 times
Some friends of ours moved from Bellevue to their "Mayberry USA" out in eastern WA with their kids in High School.
It was a disaster.
Their kids totally did not fit in, were totally ostracized and harassed for being "different", and were generally in a miserable existence.

as much as I can relate to your desire to get out of Kirkland, which my wife and I are in the process of going through ourselves, timing would probably be better if you are a little patient and clear the high school years, especially going to a small, conservative, remote town.

I have to wait for retirement myself before bailing out to quieter realms, and it is painful to be patient.

We moved here 30 years ago to escape the Bay Area. It has become the Bay Area.

IMHO

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM

40 posts, read 67,237 times
Allison, I'm about to make the move from Seattle to WW (albeit, without kids). Please reach out if you end up making the move. My wife and I are social individuals who despise the 'Seattle Freeze and what is happening to the city I moved here for 17 years ago. To each, their own, but it's just not for me anymore.

You have a different kind of decision to make with a high-schooler in tow, but if you decide to move, know there is a slow exodus of west-siders making moves out of the area and contemplating just what you are. I've made connections online with a handful already in a month's time.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,255,441 times
If you think Anacortes and Bellingham are remote or isolated or "rural" then, no, I definitely would not recommend moving to Walla Walla without being ready for a giant culture shock.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezramblin View Post
Allison, I'm about to make the move from Seattle to WW (albeit, without kids). Please reach out if you end up making the move. My wife and I are social individuals who despise the 'Seattle Freeze and what is happening to the city I moved here for 17 years ago. To each, their own, but it's just not for me anymore.

You have a different kind of decision to make with a high-schooler in tow, but if you decide to move, know there is a slow exodus of west-siders making moves out of the area and contemplating just what you are. I've made connections online with a handful already in a month's time.
Thank you so much for the responses.

I do not discount the culture shock yet would also not be considering it if the west side hadn't declined so rapidly. @deezramblin (or anyone else considering or headed that way), please feel free to contact me at fitgrl88@gmail.com. I have heard Walla2 can be a bit cliquish so I relish the chance to make connections/friends. However, my fiance is from the west side of Washington originally but LOVES it over there.

Also appreciate the other commenter advice regarding moving my teenager. I believe your inputs are spot on. Thom52, it especially helps that you understand the situation and beautiful community that I am considering leaving.

At the same time, crime/drugs/materialism have become so pervasive over here that I feel a more rural area might be best. With the emphasis on "overall" because I do get that Walla Walla as compared to Kirkland won't be an easy transition.

Not looking for easy; looking for strategic relocation, given the global unrest, economic indicators, upcoming election and not the least of which, potential of the "Big One".

Then again, we can make an argument for or against any decision I suppose.

Best, Allison

Old 04-23-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Some friends of ours moved from Bellevue to their "Mayberry USA" out in eastern WA with their kids in High School.
It was a disaster.
Their kids totally did not fit in, were totally ostracized and harassed for being "different", and were generally in a miserable existence.

as much as I can relate to your desire to get out of Kirkland, which my wife and I are in the process of going through ourselves, timing would probably be better if you are a little patient and clear the high school years, especially going to a small, conservative, remote town.

I have to wait for retirement myself before bailing out to quieter realms, and it is painful to be patient.

We moved here 30 years ago to escape the Bay Area. It has become the Bay Area.

IMHO
Excellent comparison; you are so right, we have become the "Bay Area". Can you tell me how your friends from Bellevue fared - did they stick it out and remain there, or return to the madness? I don't expect instant acclimation or absolute bliss; I understand the ramifications of such a change - I'm just hoping for better overall.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonField View Post
Excellent comparison; you are so right, we have become the "Bay Area". Can you tell me how your friends from Bellevue fared - did they stick it out and remain there, or return to the madness? I don't expect instant acclimation or absolute bliss; I understand the ramifications of such a change - I'm just hoping for better overall.

Our friends lasted 9 months in a small town over there. They had a son who was your average urban skateboarder high schooler and a daughter who was a classic urban high schooler, both very nice kids. After the son was beat up a few times, and almost run down while walking on the side of the road, and the daughter constantly harassed, they bailed and moved back to the madness.

It is interesting how often I hear people justify moves to remote places as being "for the kids". The average kid does not like to give up friends and convenience to live in a remote area. When our kids were in high school I had a job offer from the Bellingham area. I thought it would be a good move. After considerable family discussion I ended up passing on that opportunity, much to my surprise. High School is a tough time to move kids, but especially to a remote and different culture. (one daughter ended up going to college in Bellingham, ironically)

Small towns are rarely welcoming to what they consider as an invasion from the Big City.

Kirkland is definitely a different world than what we moved into in 1985. Funny thing is, we are working on moving to Bend OR, where the old timers there are complaining about it being changed too much from what they remember 30 years ago. 30 years ago, I would not have liked Bend. Now it is like Kirkland was 30 years ago, which is perfect....except it has pretty much zero employment opportunities.

Point is, its all relative, and the world just keeps getting more crowded. I really understand what you are looking for!

We already bought a place in Bend, as a hedge against inflation, and the plan was to be a landlord for a few more years. In a weird twist of fate, I was recently kicked to the curb by age discrimination in my career, which seems to be indicating I am in a forced early retirement. Unless a miracle happens, we will be moving out of Kirkland and into a "remote" area sooner than later. But note, our daughters are living on their own (one in Seattle, one in Denver) and the job situation is covered.

My personal suggestion..... Talk to your kids and get them involved in the decision. You might be surprised one way or the other. The couple years to get through high school where they are comfortable can pass pretty quickly, or it can be a living hell, for them.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Our friends lasted 9 months in a small town over there. They had a son who was your average urban skateboarder high schooler and a daughter who was a classic urban high schooler, both very nice kids. After the son was beat up a few times, and almost run down while walking on the side of the road, and the daughter constantly harassed, they bailed and moved back to the madness.

It is interesting how often I hear people justify moves to remote places as being "for the kids". The average kid does not like to give up friends and convenience to live in a remote area. When our kids were in high school I had a job offer from the Bellingham area. I thought it would be a good move. After considerable family discussion I ended up passing on that opportunity, much to my surprise. High School is a tough time to move kids, but especially to a remote and different culture. (one daughter ended up going to college in Bellingham, ironically)

Small towns are rarely welcoming to what they consider as an invasion from the Big City.

Kirkland is definitely a different world than what we moved into in 1985. Funny thing is, we are working on moving to Bend OR, where the old timers there are complaining about it being changed too much from what they remember 30 years ago. 30 years ago, I would not have liked Bend. Now it is like Kirkland was 30 years ago, which is perfect....except it has pretty much zero employment opportunities.

Point is, its all relative, and the world just keeps getting more crowded. I really understand what you are looking for!

We already bought a place in Bend, as a hedge against inflation, and the plan was to be a landlord for a few more years. In a weird twist of fate, I was recently kicked to the curb by age discrimination in my career, which seems to be indicating I am in a forced early retirement. Unless a miracle happens, we will be moving out of Kirkland and into a "remote" area sooner than later. But note, our daughters are living on their own (one in Seattle, one in Denver) and the job situation is covered.

My personal suggestion..... Talk to your kids and get them involved in the decision. You might be surprised one way or the other. The couple years to get through high school where they are comfortable can pass pretty quickly, or it can be a living hell, for them.
Thom52 - All good points - I can't thank you enough. You have a nice way of communicating stark reality without being offensive.

The thought of a move like this just one year ago would have been (was) out of the question for me. So my Fiance graciously offered to transfer back over to this side for a few years until we could return together (he ventured east about 10 years ago to care for an ill parent and never left). We both have lots of family and friends on the west side but my daughter's school situation being the primary consideration.

Lately I've just had a good rethink on it, for the reasons mentioned in my above post. I would not be making the move "for the kids", however I understand the premise behind the comment. And my daughter definitely does not want to move; she loves it here. The many beautiful parks, tons of restaurants, teen center, pool, athletic field, Library, Bus hub - all within about a 5 block radius. I live near the Police Station. It is a very friendly, caring community. And Uber safe when I moved here four years ago. I can run downtown along the water without thinking twice about it. Or feel that she is relatively secure if I am stuck in a meeting or traffic. Hard to beat.

But the cost of living and crime in the past year has gone off the charts. I belong to several neighbor blogs and the majority of entries are becoming mere warnings. Home invasions are more frequent and brazen - one neighbor, home sick with the flu, interrupted his own burglary in process. The perps still made it out with some valuables - with a clonk on the head to him for good measure. He was okay, thankfully, but they didn't catch them. The middle school across the street (my daughter's school last year) went into lockdown while the police searched and it could have been one of his kids or wife home alone instead (she was, apparently, the prior week). What then?

There have been several recent reports of robbers just kicking down doors, with or without security-wired, like they're in the wild west. They aren't even bothering to be discreet. These aren't rookies, either. They are experienced, desperate and likely drug driven. Many are armed.

And despite how much my daughter *loves* it here, there are also many days when she is upset or withdrawn due to "mean girl" bullying antics, threats and shaming. Some of them can be absolutely ruthless. So it was disheartening to read about your friends' experience, and that they returned! I didn't expect WW would be Mayberry, I was just hoping for safe and non-eventful while she makes her way to college.

It might help that my fiance knows a lot of folks there already. Waitsburg HS is highly rated nationally and a 9/10 on other school sites. But it only has 112 students, about 1,400 less than her current school. So yeah, I'm getting the picture. Not an easy decision by any means.

Thanks again for helping me identify some potential pitfalls. I appreciate your intelligent input.

Happy Weekend -

Old 04-23-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I forgot to mention, my sister seriously looked into Bend, Oregon for her pending retirement from the East Coast. Instead, she bought near the San Juans in Washington and is now starting to regret it. So good job on your choice and best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington