Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 37,093 times

Advertisements

I have tried looking up some information about Mount Vernon, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm sorry if my questions have been answered before, please direct me to the right thread in that case.

We don't really have a chance to check out this area before our possible move, so hoping to gather up some information from someone that is familiar with this place. Some of the things we are looking for:

-hiking/fishing/skiing close to town
-safe place to raise a family
-affordable housing

How is Mount Vernon in relation to all those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Hiking/fishing/skiing: Well, you are close to the Cascades which offer great hiking and fishing along the Skagit, and further south the Stillaguamish. Skiing is a little further, but not far, as in Mt. Baker to the north, and Stevens Pass somewhat south.

Safe place: Yes, in general, but the whole of Western Washington is just average when it comes to crime.

Affordable Housing: Compared to areas south, yes. Perhaps less than Bellingham, and somewhat less than Snohomish Co. (Everett/Lynnwood), and decidedly less than King Co. (Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond).

Don't expect a bustling suburban community in Mount Vernon, however. It is still kind of a small-town feel, though that is beginning to change slowly.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I might add that in April when the Tulip festival is on, traffic in the area between Mt. Vernon and LaConner is a nightmare. We have explored Mt. Vernon as a possible home for retirement, and it is a very quaint little town. We did look at schools because they affect property values, and we were not impressed, but it meets your other needs as listed.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Farming is big there and with Ag comes migrant workers, which might effect schools.

OP, I would think it's a pretty good place to raise families, it might have slightly higher property crimes, but it's a growing area. Just check with neighbors to make sure you aren't in druggie area, sadly affordable can sometimes mean not the best area, but I have wondered a little around in the city and everything felt pretty safe.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! We are definitely looking for a small town, low traffic. Not big on suburban living, so Mount Vernon sounds good in that regard. I have read in other threads that crime is somewhat an issue. Just wondering what everyone else's perspective on that is.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
I don't have facts...but we stop by there often on the way from Seattle to Canada..and I've seen some fairly questionable characters, especially around the transit loop. On the wall there was graffiti saying something about Surenos or Nortenos...and I've seen barely teen-aged girls that looked like underage prostitutes hanging around with pimp-type guys at the corner...so if you have kids, I would look into it very carefully before deciding to settle down

Old 06-16-2016, 12:29 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Also, look at areas around Mt. Vernon: Burlington, Sedro-Woolley, La Conner, Anacortes, Stanwood, etc.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:23 PM

64 posts, read 74,449 times
I used to live in Sedro Woolley- we moved away, but are moving back to Mt Vernon soon.

hiking/fishing/skiing close to town:
Plenty. There are places like little mountain, that have some easy access trails, or deception pass park- that has a lot also, also if you go up Chuckanut drive there is a lot of hiking up there, plus even more if you head east on the 20 towards the cascades. Fishing also. Skiing- closest place is Mt Baker, which would be about an hour and a half drive ish. Mt Stevens is about an hour further.

safe place to raise a family
Absolutely. Now, keep in mind, any city is not 100% peaches and roses, there are pockets of less desirable neighborhoods regardless of the city. However, no place is dangerous to the point where you actually feel unsafe, like you would be in LA.

affordable housing
Affordable is a relative term, but you can get a nice house in a decent neighborhood for far less then you can in other areas of WA.

My advice: don't take the opinions of people who judge a town based off a pit stop for gas- especially around transit areas, where it is less-then-desirable. I've not seen prostitutes after living here for a year- but then again, I don't hang out in the red light/shadier parts of town. Anacortes is also worth investigating- better schools but higher cost of living and further from hiking/skiing.

And yes, whoever said about the traffic during the tulip festival was right- although locals know back roads to avoid the congested routes. Keep in mind that is only about 3-4 weeks/year.

Other tidbits: Plenty of roadside farm stands and fresh goodies you can buy nearby in the area.

We are planning on raising our family in this area.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 AM

DogLovinGal, thanks for such a detailed post! I am glad to hear that there is some hiking in the area. I tried searching some on the map, but very limited options came back. The place where we live has pockets of undesirable neighborhoods around the interstate too, so it sounds like every town has this problem.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Depends what you mean by "hiking" - much of what might count as hiking back East is simply "walking" out West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington