Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times

Advertisements

I've obtained probably 5 quotes from companies. They either seem to use CertainTeed or IKO shingles, which are bottom of the barrel shingles according to reviews and have class action settlements. In fact the neighborhood my primary residence is in just got notices for those who have the shingles, and how to go about getting their roofs replaced for free or whatever.

So I got one company that said they use Pabco and Owens Corning. At first glance, on the "roofery" site, Owens Corning is listed as a top brand. Yet when I read reviews everywhere, it is one of the WORST shingles.

I'm not looking to spend double the amount on a metal roof, but at this point, I've lost faith in composition shingles, as I can't seem to find a brand that is decent.

Surely someone on here knows a brand that is reputable, roofers anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:21 PM

58 posts, read 134,271 times
I had GAF Timberline 30 year shingles put on my house in 1991. They are holding up fine. The roofing company is long gone.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In our climate, if you intend to remain more than another 10 years, metal is a good investment. Comp roof shaded by the 80-100' fir trees will get severe moss growth, and cleaning it off shortens the life of the shingles. Cedar shakes have to be cleaned annually, at $400-600 or the needles pile up and cause rot. If you have no shade and no needles dropping then I would go with GAF, it gets good reviews, including the previous poster Drew8888. They also look good.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I've got 30 plus yrs on more than one Pabco Arch shingle roof.

Not that I consider them exceptionally good. I just got them at an exceptional price! <$50/sq!

The PNW is pretty EZ on roofs (as long as you are not sheltered in the woods / full of needles and moss.). I get weeks of freezing rain and 80 mph winds per year., never a leak (but I seal it well when installing and I 6 nail them instead of 4.

I typically only have to replace my roofs in the regions of USA with HUGE hailstorms.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
There's a Canadian company or two out of Vancouver that does shingle roofs in the US. The Canadian product is superior, from what I've heard. They were the first to come up with flame-retardant or flame-proof shingles, I've been told. You might look into their pricing to see if it's competitive.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 AM

24 posts, read 47,131 times
As far as I can tell, most of them have been sued. What I think is most important is to find the best installer. You could get the best quality materials -even metal, but a bad install makes the brand irrelevant.

Also, what type of warranty is the roofing company (installer) providing? That's what is also VERY important. I won't do business with a new company that has little to no track record. Companies that have been in business a long time could be problematic as well. Maybe Daddy turned the business over to the kids and they're running it into the ground.

Get some references from the companies that interest you. Look at their work and talk to people if you can.

As for materials, you've gotten some good advice above. I'm in the same place you are right now. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy59 View Post
As far as I can tell, most of them have been sued. What I think is most important is to find the best installer. You could get the best quality materials -even metal, but a bad install makes the brand irrelevant.

Also, what type of warranty is the roofing company (installer) providing? That's what is also VERY important. I won't do business with a new company that has little to no track record. Companies that have been in business a long time could be problematic as well. Maybe Daddy turned the business over to the kids and they're running it into the ground.

Get some references from the companies that interest you. Look at their work and talk to people if you can.

As for materials, you've gotten some good advice above. I'm in the same place you are right now. I hope you find what you're looking for.
While I hear you on the installer, documented defective shingles that have almost unanimous 1 star reviews out of hundreds of reviews, many of which where the manufacturer lost a class action suit, don't do you any good with the worlds best installer.

Yeah, I've checked references and warranties, however; that's for the install, not for the roof's performance over several years. Most people jump online and say their new roof, car, or fridge is great, but those types of reviews are really not accurate representations of a product that can only be evaluated over a long period of time. Most of the people seem to have issues with all of the roof brands that are comp based within 5 years.

Case in point, I was recently looking to buy a new fridge to replace my existing one which is almost new and has a half a dozen issues going on with it. I read the reviews for the fridge online (it came with the house) while I was shopping for a new one and saw that the majority had the exact same issues as I am having with it. I read the reviews for LG, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, Samsung, and each and every one of them had almost the exact same issues and complaints about the appliance breaking down within a few months and constant repair work on a low quality product. I've basically lost faith in companies, and I don't really want to throw away a nearly new 2.5K fridge and buy another one for 1-2K and have it have the same issues...Same thing with the roof.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Most people jump online and say their new roof, car, or fridge is great, but those types of reviews are really not accurate representations of a product that can only be evaluated over a long period of time. Most of the people seem to have issues with all of the roof brands that are comp based within 5 years.
Perhaps, but an equal number probably get caught up in over analysis too.

I've replaced several roofs and never really worried about the brand. I have never had a leak or a system failure. I don't know the reasons for the recall/lawsuits, but I've never heard of a shingle failing. I've heard of a shingle resulting in a leak, but that's almost always an installation problem.

The problem I'm having is even getting a contractor out for a bid in any reasonable time frame. I realize its prime roofing season, but hire more people and make more money while you can.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Running new crews is always a crapshoot... and then there is the off season to deal with unemployment.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Most of my roofing crews have been on prison 'work release' programs, often the sheriff comes and exchanges prisoners for court hearing appointmemts. (These are the employees of my roofing contractors) keep your doors and windows locked up. Tools and compressors will disappear.

That is about the only time I pull the keys from my cars, as they will disappear FAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington