Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:57 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,023,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ This is what I have heard many times from those with years of experience.

Only time will tell... maybe this is the new normal?
I really do think it is the new normal, Ultrarunner. To me, global warming is more than just hoax invented by the Chinese ...you can guess who I'm NOT voting for, LOL.

I realize political discussion is not allowed in the local forums but I'll just say this, even though I've voted Republican for most of my life --I was always a moderate Republican-- I've swung way to the left as I get older. It's usually the opposite for most, i.e. being liberal when young and getting more conservative as one ages. But I now truly believe in climate change as being a problem we have to address quickly for the future of the planet.

In our lifetime, it may not make a noticeable difference but if definite steps aren't taken to combat the contributors that promote this global warming, our kids, and their, kids, and their kids' kids etc. may not experience earth as a livable place.

Some may argue that these subtle temperature changes we see in the northwest are just a cycle and eventually we will return to those days I remember as a child where the winters were much colder and snowier and the summers, cooler and shorter in western Washington. Personally, I don't think so. Until we can get all the politicians to agree it's a problem (I hear there are some Republicans that are now being convinced), I think we'll continue to see very subdued changes in not only the climate in western Washington but everywhere.
~amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 PM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
I still remember when the big topic was the coming Ice Age and how we would starve as a planet because crop production would drastically fall.

The media couldn't get enough and it was international for a number or years.

Global Warming is now often referred to as Climate Change... at least this way the bases are covered.

With most change there are winners and losers...

Lots of talk about a viable Northwest Arctic Shipping Lane which would really be a boon to some.

I tend to look at records... interesting how some records that get broken have been around a long time relatively speaking.

Washington Hay Farmers really had a booming business recently... all the drought areas were desperate for hay and Washington had it in abundance... shipping off as far as Texas.

No idea what the future holds but Water is as important as ever and so far Water and PNW are almost synonymous...

Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,392,327 times
This June was largely overcast (the last 3 prior Junes were sunnier and warmer than normal). Most of June this year was cool and overcast. When its in the low 60's and overcast in western WA, it can "feel" like the mid 50's. Starting about mid July though it has been consistently warm. I actually wish western WA would get some summer rains to keep it greener and fresher, gets a little too dry here mid July to mid Sept. Something I loved about New England summers (Vermont and Maine) were the summer rains.

I would take Florida & Hawaii's *winter* climate over SD (definitely would take SD's summer climate over FL). SD have to stay close to coast in summer, gets too hot inland. Nov-April FL weather is not hot and sticky IMO at all, it actually can get chilly some nights Dec, Jan, Feb. Temps are in the low 70's. SD can get chilly in the winter especially at night dropping to the 40's. I don't find HI bad at all with the trade winds. Depends where you are on the island, windward or leeward. FL summers are definitely horrible though...but that's why people "snowbird".

Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 48,503 times
Bumping this to the top. I have an opportunity for a promotion to Olympia from Sacramento, where I've lived almost 10 years. 55, divorced, male, kids are teens that spend the summers and holidays with me but live with their Mom on East Coast (they fly free she works for one of the airlines).

I'm an Iowa native, so I know all about crappy weather, which in Iowa is about 9 months a year its too hot or too cold. The rain doesn't intimidate me; after 10 years of Sacramento heat and constant drought I'm ready for four real seasons again and being able to wear my leather jackets and Docs all winter long without overheating after 10 am in the morning. Also a jazz/rock/fusion bassist/guitarist so I'm interested in what sort of music scene there is in the Olympia area, what about gyms, I've been to the area before for an interview back in the 90s during rainy season so I know the beauty and the mist to expect.

(I've lived all over the country BTW - Minneapolis, Battle Creek, Indianapolis, Dayton, DC, Fredericksburg, Richmon, Jackson, MS and now Sacramento).

I'm have my BA and MA and will have a good paying stable professional job if I get the position. I am curious about the local dating pool and how real people are in general. I've run into so many vapid shallow and flaky people, and particularly women in Sacramento one of my main reasons for moving is to get someplace where the dating choices are simply better....

Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM

489 posts, read 961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the central scrutinizer View Post
..... I'm ready for four real seasons again and being able to wear my leather jackets and Docs all winter long without overheating after 10 am in the morning. Also a jazz/rock/fusion bassist/guitarist so I'm interested in what sort of music scene there is in the Olympia area, what about gyms, I've been to the area before for an interview back in the 90s during rainy season so I know the beauty and the mist to expect.

(I've lived all over the country BTW - Minneapolis, Battle Creek, Indianapolis, Dayton, DC, Fredericksburg, Richmon, Jackson, MS and now Sacramento).

I'm have my BA and MA and will have a good paying stable professional job if I get the position. I am curious about the local dating pool and how real people are in general. I've run into so many vapid shallow and flaky people, and particularly women in Sacramento one of my main reasons for moving is to get someplace where the dating choices are simply better....
Let's see how I can help with some of your questions. I have lived in Lacey since 1977, with a two year break from 2011-2013 when we moved to the east coast.

Music scene in Olympia....In the mid to late 2000's, I played bass guitar in a grunge/rock/jazz band. We diversified between rock and jazz to get more coffee house gigs. We made most of our money doing covers. I'm a little younger than you, 45, but I sort of feel like the Olympia music scene has passed me by. I don't keep in touch with the younger crowd and the downtown scene all that much, but I do know bands play down there. Not much by way of corporate type gigs in Olympia, but you can score some wedding gigs if you can play for less than the local DJ's.
You'll find more options as you head north to Tacoma, 25-30 minutes, or Seattle, an hour.
Four real seasons.....you won't get that here. It's different between say winter and summer, but there aren't four well defined ones. Some locals joke that there are two seasons, warm rain and cold rain. Mostly in jest as late summer in this area is amazingly beautiful usually. It rarely snows or gets cold.
Gyms.....plenty of those around. From the national chains (LA Fitness/24 hour/Planet Fitness) to local ones. A few are 24 hour. Not many have swimming pools. IIRC, just LA Fitness which is actually in the north end of Lacey.
Dating pool.....I've been married almost 21 years, so I am completely out of touch with this one.
How real people are in general....read up on the 'Seattle Freeze' here in this forum for Washington. It's mostly identifying people from Seattle, but it has trickled down here to Olympia. It's real. I thought it was a bunch of nonsense until we moved away for two years (to New Hampshire). Upon returning, it was obvious how true it is to me. People are mostly friendly and accepting in this area, but it sure feels superficial or fake at times.

I hope some of that helps. Others will surely chime in to provide other perspectives. What I posted is not the absolute truth, just my viewpoint on what you asked us about.

-Mike

Old 10-03-2016, 02:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,725,601 times
A lot of apartment complexes in the area also have gyms and pools as well ^^ Mine has a gym and a outdoor/indoor pool. Indoor pool is open year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington