Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I wouldn't be horribly opposed to paying a 5% tax but I just know that once you open that door, they will pull the door off.
This is the problem. I think the need could be addressed without an income tax, with a state capital gains tax, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Do you REALLY think that property & sales tax will be lowered if state income tax is instituted?? They will not! It will just be more tax!
I think that the only way it is going to happen is if it is part of a tax reform proposal that proportionately reduces sales and property taxes in a roughly revenue-neutral fashion.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I think that the only way it is going to happen is if it is part of a tax reform proposal that proportionately reduces sales and property taxes in a roughly revenue-neutral fashion.
Thank you!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Isn't that what's currently being proposed? I'm not sure about the revenue-neutral part...

Old 08-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Revenue-neutral would imply the Tax recipients are currently properly manging thier funds.

They are not, and have not for decades, nearly a century.

Have you ever gained efficiency? If in private business or as finance director of your household, you certainly have!

The government is getting oodles of money from increased valuations and commerce.

They are not hurting for dough. But a lesson in how to be responsible stewards of their windfall would be enlightening.

Do some subcontract work for State or Municipalities, you will be paid very well and get a good look at who is spending (wasting) your tax dollars. They are pros, and have a vested interest in continuing the Gravy Train.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:52 PM

If that is so, then the most inefficient managers of the economy have been Republicans, in that most of our national debt was racked up under their administrations.

Both taxes and government spending can be too high or too low. When too low, a speculation-driven boom-and-bust/bubble-and-panic economy is the result; when too high, stagflation/no-growth results.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
If that is so, then the most inefficient managers of the economy have been Republicans, in that most of our national debt was racked up under their administrations.
How does this have anything to do with the current topic?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
How does this have anything to do with the current topic?
I was replying directly to StealthRabbit's claims. Do you have a problem with that?

Old 08-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Politics aside....

Effectiveness took a nose-dive, and costs escalated When government positions became PAID, that were initially volunteer / appointed with the natural term limit of 'I have got to get out of here and back to running my own business"

To the point.... A WA income / tax is not gonna fly. (But since Boeing has flown their Corp headqtrs away from WA, there remain a lot of spineless companies and poorl imformed electorate. Anything can happen (except a revolution)

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Revenue-neutral would imply the Tax recipients are currently properly manging thier funds.

They are not, and have not for decades, nearly a century.

Have you ever gained efficiency? If in private business or as finance director of your household, you certainly have!

The government is getting oodles of money from increased valuations and commerce.

They are not hurting for dough. But a lesson in how to be responsible stewards of their windfall would be enlightening.

Do some subcontract work for State or Municipalities, you will be paid very well and get a good look at who is spending (wasting) your tax dollars. They are pros, and have a vested interest in continuing the Gravy Train.
Quote:
I was replying directly to StealthRabbit's claims. Do you have a problem with that?
I read StealthRabbit complaining about the inefficiency of government bureaucrats in general. You're the one who had to go and make it political by trying to play the blame game on a specific party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington