Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 AM

467 posts, read 523,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The orchards and such are one reason we like the area. We like to grow some of our own food but unless you have access to unlimited water (here) you're going to grow only cactus.
In order to plant a tree here you've got to have/rent a jackhammer as the soil is, well, hard as concrete.
Her aunt lives in Moses Lake and we just got back from visiting her "mini orchard/farm". Naturally we really liked it and thought of moving there. I just don't want to be one of those people who move to MT because they visited during the summer for two weeks and fell in love only to be hit upside the head with reality when winter hits and start looking for the nearest UHaul dealer if you know what I mean...
information is power...
You also might consider looking at the Wenatchee area. We moved to Wenatchee in 2002 from MT. It is a beautiful area. We were looking for mild winters and didn't even bring a snow shovel. That was a mistake! We ending up buying snow shovels and even a snow blower (the only one we ever owned.....never had one in MT where the snow is light and fluffy). Wenatchee is loaded with cultural and recreational possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Well it seems that there's a land rush of sorts going on in Grant County. After looking at the MLS and talking with an R.E. agent it seems like the Moses Lake "area" has become quite the popular place in the last year or so.
Our aunt seems to think it's because of the new big businesses that are moving to the area like Mitsubishi (to the airport area) and some others.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,506,121 times
^^^But what a great time to get your foot in the door! I read on Wikipedia re what is & will be happening, industry-wise in ML, it's kind of exciting! I think it's such an interesting area, don't give up! My spouse's boss grew up there & recently retired there & loves it!

Old 08-12-2016, 11:54 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,022,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well it seems that there's a land rush of sorts going on in Grant County. After looking at the MLS and talking with an R.E. agent it seems like the Moses Lake "area" has become quite the popular place in the last year or so.
Our aunt seems to think it's because of the new big businesses that are moving to the area like Mitsubishi (to the airport area) and some others.
Because I had friends and relatives in Moses Lake going back to when I was a child, I can remember visiting back in the 1950s when it was just a small community where agriculture seemed to be the main emphasis.

Actually, to me, I have witnessed the entire area go through rather steady growth over the past few decades. Even as far back as the late-1960s, it started its growth pattern when Japan Air Lines began training their 747 pilots there when the plane was first introduced and the old Larson Air Force Base was decommissioned. The area has become a magnet for Japanese companies ever since ...Chemi-Con, Takata, AstaReal Technologies, Mitsubishi, etc. Therefore, the area has a very strong technical and industrial base in addition to its agricultural tradition and the tech companies that have infiltrated the area over the past few decades. So yes, the addition of Mitsubishi creating their flight-test center there is what is probably fueling the area's current flurry of growth.
~amanda

Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
It's certainly looking more and more like we'll land there. One thing I've noticed is the amount of taxes and fees the state/county impose on building.
Then there's all the "new" environmental requirements which create another BIG I was talking to an engineer who designs septic and other systems and he was saying WA is on the leading edge.
When he finished explaining to me all the new requirements I told him it sounded like they're on the bleeding edge of environmental tech.
Boy did he bust out laughing and agreed, they are.
I just found out I've got to pay 8% sales tax when I have a house built? WHAT????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington