Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:57 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I received a pretty high traffic ticket in Jefferson County...aside from what the papers say,are there any other rights I have?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 PM

158 posts, read 296,756 times
I'm guessing you have two choices. Pay the fine and take the points or go to court and plead guilty. Put yourself at the mercy of the judge. Often times they will reduce the fine and or the points. Make you complete an online course possibly.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG05200 View Post
I'm guessing you have two choices. Pay the fine and take the points or go to court and plead guilty. Put yourself at the mercy of the judge. Often times they will reduce the fine and or the points. Make you complete an online course possibly.
The fine is quite high and I don't think currently I can afford the entire thing,but we are still in process. Luckily it's quite a lengthy one so I don't have to make any quick decisions. Being that I'm over 70 mi from the court we can do everything via mail etc. We are doing court by mail so we'll see what the final judgement will be. I did briefly speak with the office and they did mention something about a class or course.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Washington does not use a point system. But the second part of your post is true, many times a fine will be reduced, or even eliminated, if you go to court.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM

I didn't know about the points. I guess that's why fines are so steep?

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't know about the points. I guess that's why fines are so steep?
This is actually my first ticket here so I didn't know how it may differ from other states,and wow yes they are steep! I don't often see cars patrolling but when I do,look out that you're not in their sights.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 PM

I see there is a traffic course online specifically for Washington State.
Washington Traffic Tickets & Violations | DMV.org

Ok. I see that WA doesn't have a point system. However, getting dinged with speeding or other moving violations can still ding your insurance. So the goal is to make the violation completely gone.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Absolutely correct. Back in the 90's I was clocked at 5 MPH over the limit three times in 2 years. Very obviously revenue producing tickets, but that 3-timer put me in driving school, and while I passed the tests, I still resent this as unreasonable. Fortunately, WA doesn't seem to be in this mode today.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,583 posts, read 81,186,228 times
By chance was this on highway 101? This is a special emphasis patrol area due to the number of fatal accidents, most often caused by speeding. AT the time I remember the State Patrol had old pickup trucks and vans used to catch people speeding, that were unmarked. They also raised the fines for infractions in that area. I don't know if that's still in effect but as you know, once fines have been raised they rarely go back down.

I did get a speeding ticket in that county on the way to Lake Crescent in 2002. Within a week I got a letter in the mail offering to remove it from my record if I paid the fine in full and got no other tickets for the next year, due to my otherwise clean record. I paid it and behaved myself so it came off. I had also looked into traffic school but you still had to pay the fine, and attend up there. You may be able to get the fine reduced by appearing in court, and appealing to the kind heart of the judge, but chances of success are low. As I recall in my case it was about $200 for going 70 in a 60 zone back then.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
By chance was this on highway 101? This is a special emphasis patrol area due to the number of fatal accidents, most often caused by speeding. AT the time I remember the State Patrol had old pickup trucks and vans used to catch people speeding, that were unmarked. They also raised the fines for infractions in that area. I don't know if that's still in effect but as you know, once fines have been raised they rarely go back down.

I did get a speeding ticket in that county on the way to Lake Crescent in 2002. Within a week I got a letter in the mail offering to remove it from my record if I paid the fine in full and got no other tickets for the next year, due to my otherwise clean record. I paid it and behaved myself so it came off. I had also looked into traffic school but you still had to pay the fine, and attend up there. You may be able to get the fine reduced by appearing in court, and appealing to the kind heart of the judge, but chances of success are low. As I recall in my case it was about $200 for going 70 in a 60 zone back then.
I'm cooked then...I was going way over 60; But yes it was just a couple miles from 101. I also just assumed that some counties might be higher than others just because they are nicer areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington