Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:20 PM

230 posts, read 258,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Try Santa Fe, where some wages are higher, due to the higher COL. You can beat the COL by living outside of town and commuting in. This is pretty common.
I'll think about it but I am in love with ABQ... 600K people. The women are serious down there... not too many people in Sante fe. I got you though let me research. NM is one of those places that literally celebrate black men...there are so few..I don't know if i could be faithful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
shawn, I have a very different view. I come from the south originally, there is almost no racism toward african americans (or really anyone) here in the Seattle area. Most people I know detest racist words and call people out immediately when they hear anything that resembles that. Come visit, you will see. Interracial relationships are common, just no big deal.
thankyou

Old 10-15-2016, 04:30 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
I'll think about it but I am in love with ABQ... 600K people. The women are serious down there... not too many people in Sante fe. I got you though let me research. NM is one of those places that literally celebrate black men...there are so few..I don't know if i could be faithful.
Well, OK. I suggested SF because you said you had had enough of ABQ, or something. Maybe it was the desert environment. But for sheer numbers, yeah--ABQ is it. My view of Santa Fe, though, where younger people complain the dating pool is too limited, is that it really isn't if you consider all the satellite communities. But suit yourself. One thing about SF, though, is that there's not much nightlife. Some visitors, and the Latinos complain that the town shuts down by 9 or 10 pm. So if that's an issue for you, stick with ABQ, if you're considering NM. At the very least, it wouldn't be a bad place to get some professional experience right after completing your degree. From there, you could decide whether to move on to literally greener pastures, or not. BTW, the weather is getting warmer; more heat spikes. Just saying. But less snow in winter. Mild winters.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, OK. I suggested SF because you said you had had enough of ABQ, or something. Maybe it was the desert environment. But for sheer numbers, yeah--ABQ is it. My view of Santa Fe, though, where younger people complain the dating pool is too limited, is that it really isn't if you consider all the satellite communities. But suit yourself. One thing about SF, though, is that there's not much nightlife. Some visitors, and the Latinos complain that the town shuts down by 9 or 10 pm. So if that's an issue for you, stick with ABQ, if you're considering NM. At the very least, it wouldn't be a bad place to get some professional experience right after completing your degree. From there, you could decide whether to move on to literally greener pastures, or not. BTW, the weather is getting warmer; more heat spikes. Just saying. But less snow in winter. Mild winters.
I never got tired of ABQ.. I had to leave for a family situation. I decided to return to school back in the east. Yeah SF was never an option. The two options are Portland and Albuquerque. How is the nightlife in Portland? Probably non existent but if the women are not broken, that would be okay. Weather is not a concern, with the exception of crazy heat, I'm down.

I Know you are not that familiar with LA and all but have you heard of the nightlife there. Please understand, I have been in school for a majority of my life and I need in a lack of better terms to "act a fool". I would like to party, get into relationship and settle down, married and kids.

What is funny about ABQ is they call it the "land of entrapment" everyone wants to leave and those that do regret it and want to come back.

When caucasians ask me where I want to move they don't really understand the factors that come in to play for a minority. Meaning they can pickup and go anywhere they want. In all likelihood they won't be met with any prejudices but minorities have a lot more variables to add to the equation.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,735,719 times
You can look up demographic info on wikipedia to give you an idea of diversity of a city. Portland for instance:
Quote:
The census reported the city as 76.1% White (444,254 people), 7.1% Asian (41,448), 6.3% Black or African American (36,778), 1.0% Native American (5,838), 0.5% Pacific Islander (2,919), 4.7% belonging to two or more racial groups (24,437) and 5.0% from other races (28,987).[82] 9.4% were Hispanic or Latino, of any race (54,840). Whites not of Hispanic origin made up 72.2% of the total population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portla...n#Demographics

Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM

I have done that. ..I know very caucasian

Old 10-15-2016, 06:36 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
I've heard there's a downtown nightlife in Portland. LA is nightlife City! San Francisco--not so much. East Bay: Berkeley/Oakland--good nightlife. Great music scene--the best outside of NYC, IMO. I've been musically deprived after living in Seattle and NM. I now drive out to the Bay and Santa Cruz once or twice a year to take in good jazz and world music. My gawd, it's like stumbling into an oasis after months--years!--staggering across a desert without water!

But that's me. Let us know where you finally settle down, and how it all works out.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
MN has the lowest employment rate for whites, but not blacks... to be real with you. My professor was pushing MN on me but when unemployment is 5x greater for blacks it makes me think, damn whats going on.
Well, damn: what is going on then? Take that thought to it's logical conclusion, whatever it may be, might find some personal answers.

Doesn't employment level correlate fairly highly with educational attainment? A reasonable guess, without data in front of me, but by memory that is almost certainly the case...

Race notwithstanding, someone with multiple Master's degrees, independent of "race", assuming the subjects / skills are high-demand, shouldn't have a ton of trouble finding gainful employment in places where that field is hot. Right?

As for "fitting in," that's a tougher question. I do get that, on some level, understanding without necessarily empathizing (I can't, because I'm not truly in that situation).

I moved to where the work was. Had Seattle been Black as, say, Birmingham Alabama (73% Black, 24% White) would not have dissuaded this WM from taking the same choice again. But hey: that's me.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:05 PM

404 posts, read 385,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Well, damn: what is going on then? Take that thought to it's logical conclusion, whatever it may be, might find some personal answers.

Doesn't employment level correlate fairly highly with educational attainment? A reasonable guess, without data in front of me, but by memory that is almost certainly the case...

Race notwithstanding, someone with multiple Master's degrees, independent of "race", assuming the subjects / skills are high-demand, shouldn't have a ton of trouble finding gainful employment in places where that field is hot. Right?

As for "fitting in," that's a tougher question. I do get that, on some level, understanding without necessarily empathizing (I can't, because I'm not truly in that situation).

I moved to where the work was. Had Seattle been Black as, say, Birmingham Alabama (73% Black, 24% White) would not have dissuaded this WM from taking the same choice again. But hey: that's me.
I use to believe this. However, i've seen first hand it's not the case. Some people can't see past color and don't want to.

I now see why more and more minorities are starting their own companies.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
Quote:
OH ABQ....is thee spot.. females are in competition so I end up winning. The only problem is the money is weak. There is a real reason why they need nurses. I want to thank everyone that has and will comment on this. I may do double licensure. BTW what are your thoughts on California, MINNESOTA, AND Colorado. I am curious on your take...CALI pays nurses the most but I have heard people are leaving to neighboring states like really fast.

I may due OR and NM

Thanks
California would be fine, if you can get a good job- do you have inpatient nursing experience?- It can be hard for new grads (hospitals can be reluctant to train)- its the high cost of living driving people out- but medical does pay really well (Bay area) and you could compete- if not in SF, Bay area-
lively dating scene too!
No ones going to blink at you dating interracially in the bay area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington