Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 PM

143 posts, read 334,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg187 View Post
While I haven't experienced anything so extreme, I have to admit, I've been uncomfortable since I stepped off the plane. Initially, I owned up to it being that this was new ground. But after being here one year, and especially after reading your post, my fears have been warranted. I've retraced some odd encounters which were likely racially motivated but I decided to let go. I bought into the whole "Washington is this forward looking, progressive place" far too long. Wish I was there when you had that encounter. I grew up in Hyde park but had plenty of friends in Englewood so I'm well versed in dealing with BS.

I've already made my decision to leave and ironically it's to a state that's supposedly racially and socially backwards, Texas! The irony huh?! I've lived in Dallas before and the experienced was far better. Beautiful housing and women to boot. Texans are in general friendly and lack the passive aggressive BS you encounter here in Washington. Most Texans have a disdain for the rest of the south (and vice versa) so they don't like to be associated with any of that racist BS. Plus Dallas has become filled with transplants from all over. You do lose the scenery but that's kind of gotten old after a year. Doesn't matter how great a place looks. If you can't grow or be accepted, its definitely time to jump ship. Luckily we chose careers that allows us to live almost anywhere in the country. This place isn't exactly paradise so why the hostility and closed mindedness?! If they don't want us here then please by all means, just put up a sign. It's a big country folks. It's truly bothersome that this happened to you but it leaves very little doubt that I'm making the right choice. Thanks so much for sharing.
Texas isn't the most soulful place in the world, but it doe provide the one thing all minorities need: a healthy environment to pursue "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness". AA's (and lots of minorities) are wired different, socially, and psychology. We thrive in community support, and close relationships, so I think thats important to note. Good luck to you. Sure you'll be fine in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some people get tired of the high COL in the Bay Area, so they leave. While there is a certain exodus rate, there are more people arriving all the time. The LA area isn't as exaggerated, COL-wise. I don't know much about LA, though. My sister-in-law has had a career as a nurse at the hospital in Berkeley, and has done well. She lives in lower-rent Fremont, and commutes. Once you get some seniority in nursing, you get dibs on the higher-paying shifts. She's mainly worked weekends (Fri thru Sun), when she gets paid time-&-1/2, and double time.

How the Bay Area is socially depends on whom you talk to. There are a lot of disaffected guys on that forum who say it stinks, and yet, there are plenty of people who do OK. You could shoot a message to Branh0913, and ask him; I'm pretty sure he lives around the Bay currently, and he's much happier than he was in Seattle, AFAIK. He even has a gf.

I left the Bay area 2 years ago. I live in Philly now. As far as dating in the Bay area is concerned it's worse than Seattle. Seattle was very dry dating wise but the Bay area was like living on Mercury. It was horrible. Whatever dating tropes you hear about Seattle is amplified in the Bay.

I still found the Bay more enjoyable than Seattle thought. The people seemed more down to earth and didn't feel they needed to go out of the way to be quirky. Unlike the Seattle which has manufactured quirkiness. The Bay also had way friendlier people.

Dating the Bay is bad because it's dominated by Mexicans and truthfully Mexicans hate blacks. Though this is my experience in the South Bay. The East Bay is a different experience entirely.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
So I wanted to give my perspective on moving to Seattle. Never move to Seattle to establish yourself. It's not friendly for "beginners" at all. I can't imagine trying to establish my career in a place like Seattle. While many will talk about all of the companies in Seattle, they're all pretty much looking for senior talent. Seattle is a place you go to once you've already established yourself. I came to Seattle when I was trying transition into a senior level person. It's not good for junior level people at all. This is why you have so many broke 20 somethings in Seattle who do nothing but get high all day. There really isn't a market for them.

If you really want a city to establish yourself, avoid the following cities Chicago, New York, The Bay Area, Los Angeles, and a few others I'm probably forgetting about. Sunbelt cities are your friend here. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. Cheap cost of living, many companies who are looking for a mixture of senior and junior talent. Philly may be a wild card.

As far as racism is concerned. Here is a news flash. If you're born in the hood and you're black in any city, you're always going to perceive it as racist. That's what I've observed. I personally never encountered any racism in Seattle, or even the super white Bellevue. But there are many people who say they have. Granted, I'm a 6'4, over 300 lb black guy, so I think people may be a little reluctant to step to me like that. (Though some 5'4 guy did try to be racist towards me in Philly, go figure). Outside of a runt trying to start an issue with me in Philly, I've never encountered racism in Philly or NYC. But it's because I came to these cities with money and a career already, so there are certain things that my status will just allow me to avoid. I'm not super white washed, but I'm very technical, so most people know after a brief conversation that I'm not out pulling drive bys.

So honestly I would never not move to a place because it's "racist" or "not racist". A "racist" can appear anywhere. There are no shortage of people with an axe to grind with black people, and the latest media spectacle hasn't help race relations. There are going to be ignorant people saying ignorant things no matter where you go. The way you carry yourself will help you avoid this, not where you move.

I would suggest Atlanta honestly. It has a good medical industry, it's perfect for a black man who wants to network. There are a lot of perceptions about Atlanta, reality TV hasn't helped it's image. But I can't state how great Atlanta's business community is. It's amazing for minorities, not just black people. And despite people saying racial tension exist in Atlanta, it's nearly unheard of in the business community. Whites do business with blacks and other minority groups there all of the time and vice versa. People will also say Atlanta doesn't have jobs, which is wrong. A lot of lazy people move to Atlanta. Atlanta gets a lot of poor people moving there feeling that just because they're black, they should be handed a job. In Atlanta if you aren't willing to give it 120% then you're going to fail. But you can't fail in Atlanta if you work hard. I know plenty of successful people who came to the ATL with nothing, and are doing well just because they worked hard.

But good luck in general. I would say in 5-10 years after you've established yourself (and got married) you should maybe consider Seattle again.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:00 AM

230 posts, read 258,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I left the Bay area 2 years ago. I live in Philly now. As far as dating in the Bay area is concerned it's worse than Seattle. Seattle was very dry dating wise but the Bay area was like living on Mercury. It was horrible. Whatever dating tropes you hear about Seattle is amplified in the Bay.

I still found the Bay more enjoyable than Seattle thought. The people seemed more down to earth and didn't feel they needed to go out of the way to be quirky. Unlike the Seattle which has manufactured quirkiness. The Bay also had way friendlier people.

Dating the Bay is bad because it's dominated by Mexicans and truthfully Mexicans hate blacks. Though this is my experience in the South Bay. The East Bay is a different experience entirely.
YOUR RIGHT about Mexicans in general. The only exception is the younger generation Mexicans in Albuquerque NM. They are cool with blacks

Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
So I wanted to give my perspective on moving to Seattle. Never move to Seattle to establish yourself. It's not friendly for "beginners" at all. I can't imagine trying to establish my career in a place like Seattle. While many will talk about all of the companies in Seattle, they're all pretty much looking for senior talent. Seattle is a place you go to once you've already established yourself. I came to Seattle when I was trying transition into a senior level person. It's not good for junior level people at all. This is why you have so many broke 20 somethings in Seattle who do nothing but get high all day. There really isn't a market for them.

If you really want a city to establish yourself, avoid the following cities Chicago, New York, The Bay Area, Los Angeles, and a few others I'm probably forgetting about. Sunbelt cities are your friend here. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. Cheap cost of living, many companies who are looking for a mixture of senior and junior talent. Philly may be a wild card.

As far as racism is concerned. Here is a news flash. If you're born in the hood and you're black in any city, you're always going to perceive it as racist. That's what I've observed. I personally never encountered any racism in Seattle, or even the super white Bellevue. But there are many people who say they have. Granted, I'm a 6'4, over 300 lb black guy, so I think people may be a little reluctant to step to me like that. (Though some 5'4 guy did try to be racist towards me in Philly, go figure). Outside of a runt trying to start an issue with me in Philly, I've never encountered racism in Philly or NYC. But it's because I came to these cities with money and a career already, so there are certain things that my status will just allow me to avoid. I'm not super white washed, but I'm very technical, so most people know after a brief conversation that I'm not out pulling drive bys.

So honestly I would never not move to a place because it's "racist" or "not racist". A "racist" can appear anywhere. There are no shortage of people with an axe to grind with black people, and the latest media spectacle hasn't help race relations. There are going to be ignorant people saying ignorant things no matter where you go. The way you carry yourself will help you avoid this, not where you move.

I would suggest Atlanta honestly. It has a good medical industry, it's perfect for a black man who wants to network. There are a lot of perceptions about Atlanta, reality TV hasn't helped it's image. But I can't state how great Atlanta's business community is. It's amazing for minorities, not just black people. And despite people saying racial tension exist in Atlanta, it's nearly unheard of in the business community. Whites do business with blacks and other minority groups there all of the time and vice versa. People will also say Atlanta doesn't have jobs, which is wrong. A lot of lazy people move to Atlanta. Atlanta gets a lot of poor people moving there feeling that just because they're black, they should be handed a job. In Atlanta if you aren't willing to give it 120% then you're going to fail. But you can't fail in Atlanta if you work hard. I know plenty of successful people who came to the ATL with nothing, and are doing well just because they worked hard.

But good luck in general. I would say in 5-10 years after you've established yourself (and got married) you should maybe consider Seattle again.
I what you are saying and I appreciate it. I lived in Philly for two years...BRO won't do that again for reasons I won't mention. However the cities you mention are mostly east and I'm going WEST. With a master in the Sciences, I was made to feel like a straight up N***** in Philly and NJ. Even your own black people seem to be against you on the East coast.

I think that America says there are only 10 jobs were going to give to black people and there's 20 of you so fight for it. We fight for it and in the process hate each other and that begins a process of just self-hate and hatred of others who look like you. I can't tell you how many times I have been broken.

This is coming from a dude who is a straight up grinder, a person who's motto is "don't complain, don't explain, just get up". How many black males do you know that have a masters in Chem and soon a masters in Nursing under 34yrs old, with the prospects of going for their doctorate.

There is something wrong and the bar keeps getting moved when certain approach it. I know the difference prejudice and racism...Its prejudices that are killing people not racism.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:18 AM

I won't be moving to Seattle

Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
California would be fine, if you can get a good job- do you have inpatient nursing experience?- It can be hard for new grads (hospitals can be reluctant to train)- its the high cost of living driving people out- but medical does pay really well (Bay area) and you could compete- if not in SF, Bay area-
lively dating scene too!
No ones going to blink at you dating interracially in the bay area...
This is a CNL(clinical nurse Leader) program. very high gpa to get in. CALI employers are looking for these types of nurses. getting a job there won't be a problem. However, I am hesitant because of race tensions. I read about blacks being firebombed out of their homes because they live in a Mexican neighborhood. I also hear that events in prisons dictate the racial tensions on the street.

I love to be around people, but these people can not be ignorant to the point where I feel unsafe ad afraid that something is going to happen to me because of something that happened amongst inmates. I live in NJ and there is pure vitriol for some ethnicities that go unspoken of and I can deal with that. I am not willing to be harmed though. I am no punk by any stretch but I just want a fair shot at everything.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
This is a CNL(clinical nurse Leader) program. very high gpa to get in. CALI employers are looking for these types of nurses. getting a job there won't be a problem. However, I am hesitant because of race tensions. I read about blacks being firebombed out of their homes because they live in a Mexican neighborhood. I also hear that events in prisons dictate the racial tensions on the street.

I love to be around people, but these people can not be ignorant to the point where I feel unsafe ad afraid that something is going to happen to me because of something that happened amongst inmates. I live in NJ and there is pure vitriol for some ethnicities that go unspoken of and I can deal with that. I am not willing to be harmed though. I am no punk by any stretch but I just want a fair shot at everything.
oh yeah no experience other than clinical rotations

Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard there's a downtown nightlife in Portland. LA is nightlife City! San Francisco--not so much. East Bay: Berkeley/Oakland--good nightlife. Great music scene--the best outside of NYC, IMO. I've been musically deprived after living in Seattle and NM. I now drive out to the Bay and Santa Cruz once or twice a year to take in good jazz and world music. My gawd, it's like stumbling into an oasis after months--years!--staggering across a desert without water!

But that's me. Let us know where you finally settle down, and how it all works out.
Don't think CA is for me but I'll see what my earning power is for LA before I give it the finger Thankyou

Old 10-16-2016, 03:37 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:

I agree with this. I foolishly moved there seeking to start a career, and I've found that the non-IT market caters towards senior level employees. Also, I think the progressive culture there stirs in favor of people older than 50. I mean, that's a good thing, considering many older people think they are being discriminated against in the job market due to their age. But being a young person looking to set off a career, Seattle was not working in my favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington