Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:54 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkwood View Post
I like a little hippie / nature / new agey culture, or at least openness to it, if possible.
In that case, look at the Bellingham area: Ferndale, Everson, Nooksack, Deming, Maple Falls, Peaceful Valley, Sumas, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 43,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Look into the west Columbia Gorge (variety of great communities, prices, and WIDE variety / range of weather +/-)

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post45845214

international residents 'preferred' (We have had an international guest hospitality home here for 25+ yrs)
Which towns belong to the West Columbia Gorge? I didn't find it on the map, just a few similarly named businesses sort of East of Vancouver (around Camas?) Is that right?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Which towns belong to the West Columbia Gorge? I didn't find it on the map, just a few similarly named businesses sort of East of Vancouver (around Camas?) Is that right?
Yes. The border between Washington and Oregon in that area is the Columbia River. The Columbia Gorge starts just east of Portland/Vancouver, and extends for about 100 miles, ending somewhat east of The Dalles. It's world-class scenery, just google 'Columbia Gorge'.

If you are into outdoor sports, the Gorge is pretty much heaven. Wind-surfing started here.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:45 AM

500 posts, read 841,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I wonder if White Salmon/Hood River isn't the right place for you? Maybe a little too far from Portland for you but it may be perfect.
I'm surprised someone is suggesting Bingen....Once I had made a mistake of booking a stay there, remotely...upon arrival I found strong smell of plywood factory and had to leave asap, the air is full of toxic fumes (in was 2012...had they shut down the plywood plant since?). The town across the river from Bingen, Hood River....I found the place to be depressing. This is as far removed from "new agey" that OP is looking for, as the Moon from the Earth.

As to Olympia: yes, super "hippie" town....but if you want to be on 5 acres and don't want "rednecks" being around, as you mentioned....good luck, at least around Olympia area....(of course, one man's "redneck" might be another man's "hippie")

Last edited by xani; 10-23-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
We need "intelligent" people around us, which doesn't mean that they need a university education, but we want integrity, morals, honesty, and an openness in people to learn and discuss.
Good luck finding that in Washington, the Northwest, or even the United States. You want an America that has gone away. If this is important to you, I recommend emigration (not because I wish you gone, but out of respect for your best interests and wishes).

On the principle of asking for something possible rather than something nonexistent, you might want to seek out a place where people at least leave you the hell alone if you leave them alone. The PNW has a lot of those. Tri-Cities is one; while its civics are ridiculous on so many levels, and it's got to rank high on the ignorance list relative to the density of Aspie Ph.Ds, the great thing about the TC is they generally mean you no harm and will leave you alone even if you're different. Whatever your difference, unless you wash everyone's face in it and demand a reaction, Tri-Citians will nearly all live and let live.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
On the principle of asking for something possible rather than something nonexistent, you might want to seek out a place where people at least leave you the hell alone if you leave them alone. The PNW has a lot of those. Tri-Cities is one; while its civics are ridiculous on so many levels, and it's got to rank high on the ignorance list relative to the density of Aspie Ph.Ds, the great thing about the TC is they generally mean you no harm and will leave you alone even if you're different. Whatever your difference, unless you wash everyone's face in it and demand a reaction, Tri-Citians will nearly all live and let live.

j_k_k - and the above is basically what I figured the U.S. Constitution states what is and what should be for all American people. Unfortunately, this has not been the case historically in the U.S. I grew up in Edmonds, just north of Seattle, and really I noticed some racist attitudes in some people of all races, but nothing unbearable. The Pacific Northwest is a place that is pretty "tolerant" of all types of people. It's liberalism does not look upon people who are religious very well, and one that is religious can practice their religion in the Pacific NW, just don't expect a friendly response if you want to talk about said religion to someone you don't know in the area.

Live and let live applies to western Washington, overall, and yes, eastern Washington as well. The only eastern Washington town I ever lived in was Moses Lake. A decent town but not one that stands out as an outstanding town to live in. Basically fairly live and let live, though, overall.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I'm surprised someone is suggesting Bingen....The town across the river from Bingen, Hood River....I found the place to be depressing.....

As to Olympia: .......good luck, at least around Olympia area....")
WoW,, you have a very different perspective than the reality of living / working / running a business / raising a family in these regions.

Ymmv, if you have never been engaged in the communities and the economies of each.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WoW,, you have a very different perspective than the reality of living / working / running a business / raising a family in these regions.

Ymmv, if you have never been engaged in the communities and the economies of each.
No kidding. Hood River is a great town. The only thing that would make me hesitant about moving there if I had children is that Oregon's school funding process is pretty screwed up. Washington's isn't wonderful either, but it's better than Oregon's.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No kidding. Hood River is a great town. The only thing that would make me hesitant about moving there if I had children is that Oregon's school funding process is pretty screwed up. Washington's isn't wonderful either, but it's better than Oregon's.
Plenty of private school options + huge homeschool support groups on each side of the river.

Public schools get lots of attention due to techy profile of parents, and the presence of Google, Insitu, CGCC and support businesses. Don't think you can go wrong, unless the west gorge is not to your tastes.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:16 PM

133 posts, read 452,343 times
We just moved to Washington a couple months ago after considering places in Seattle, Olympia, and the Vancouver/Portland area. Olympia didn't feel hippie at all when we visited.

We ended up in Camas. I love the town, the area in general, and the proximity to Portland. And the schools are awesome.

I hadn't even noticed until someone above me mentioned it, but I also haven't seen any political signs in my neighborhood. I've seen some in other areas, and some of them are mighty big, but not in our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington