Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

The P12N are also very bad at cramming games too close together, then having the first part of the overlapped game show on some other channel. On my Dish setup, there is no "Pac-12 Washington" or "Pac-12 Oregon," no matter what the side-scroll says. There is P12N, and there are the "alt" channels, none of which are labeled. It's just a goat rodeo and a bunch of unnecessary annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, I would like the Pac12 network, but I am through trying to figure out the best combo. And yes, I have DirecTV. What I have discovered, though, is the best Pac12 games usually are on networks that I get, the "other" games end up on Pac12.
Depends what you want to watch. Yes, the best football games will be on other networks. If you're a Pac-12 volleyball or softball fan, however, those are only rarely on other networks.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Well, I would like the Pac12 network, but I am through trying to figure out the best combo. And yes, I have DirecTV. What I have discovered, though, is the best Pac12 games usually are on networks that I get, the "other" games end up on Pac12.
DirecTV won't add the PAC-12 as it currently is offered.. I have DirecTV too. I really don't need four stations broadcasting the same game from other conferences. I agree, the best games are usually on the networks I receive, including Fox Sports 1 also has had several.

So tomorrow is the game. I've posted some of my thoughts in the PAC-12 Thread, in College Football, which at least two of you were aware. Not that my opinion really matters, except knowing the PAC-12 will remain fractured, IMO, when fans want to post only about how come their team will win. It's funny, but it appears that fans do reflect the attitudes of the teams, IMO. CO is slightly different than UW, but mostly the same.

While I believe UW is favored by 4 currently, I don't know how much I'd be planning for the playoffs for either team. I saw the Sunday show ahead of the Tuesday show. Bowl games yes, but playoffs, maybe. I know the numbers, I heard it argued how the PAC-12 would be totally shut out, potentially with an undefeated team. Perhaps the PAC-12 has more to work on than the PAC-12 Network. But lack of access to games does not help those in the other P5 conferences see the talent or possibilities. Unity in the PAC-12 would help a lot. Some see USC as the only viable option for the playoffs.

Good luck UW. I'll be wishing the BUFFS the same. I hope the team best for the conference wins.

MSR

Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I think the Dawgs will need to win convincingly to get in. So I agree.

BTW, MSR, I offered a little thought in the IF forum, if you missed it.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-01-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I think the Dawgs will need to win convincingly to get in. So I agree.

BTW, MSR, I offered a little thought in the IF forum, if you missed it.
That is what the so called "experts" say about an overwhelming win. It just isn't right to take 3 from one conference and ignore the PAC-12. If that happens, I still have some Bama ties. I'll be a Tide fan with that Freshman Quackenbush.

I am very serious though, if the PAC-12 could get the pathetic excuse of a "network" added to the major carriers that would command more respect from the other P5 conferences. It's not the times as much as lack of accessibility. The PAC-12 needs a leader to unite the other teams and address this. Think of how many SEC-EAST games we get on DirecTV. Visibility goes a long way.

I also agree with others who have posted here. Hard as it is to believe there are other sports and the PAC-12 has great gymnastics, Volleyball and Ski Teams etc. The PAC Network could expose a lot of west coast talent to the rest of the US.

Do you mean the Development forum, pnwguy2, or other? A couple are whining there currently because everything isn't done now. Or is your little thought about the inner belt loop or all the new schools?

MSR

Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
No, just Culver's and Wendy's. That is why I called it "little"...(in development, yes)

Old 12-02-2016, 01:33 PM

I think that the Pac-12 seven network model was a mistake. If you are a volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, and/or women's basketball fan, for instance, you are in pig heaven, but spreading the product did not appreciably increase overall revenues. Back in the old FSN days, at most a couple Pac-12 volleyball matches were shown live, with a handful more shown on a delayed basis, often days later.

They've acknowledged the revenue shortfall by flipping the National Network and Regional Networks, with the National now generally available within the Pac-12 geographic footprint on the same tier as ESPN, SEC Network, etc., with the second moved to a Sports package.

I think they will go to a four-network model, once current contracts run out or are renegotiated - National, plus NW, Cal, and MTN, with the latter available either in a Sports package or online (Pac-12+).

The line between broadcasting (on-air/cable/satellite) and streaming is being blurred, and will eventually be erased. With Apple TV or a Chromecast, for instance, you can cast/mirror any stream to your 40" TV. Sling TV lets you stream a wide array of "broadcast" channels over the Internet for $20-25/mo, without forcing you to subscribe to "super-bundles" at exorbitant cost, just to get the dozen or so you actually want to watch.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I think that the Pac-12 seven network model was a mistake. If you are a volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, and/or women's basketball fan, for instance, you are in pig heaven, but spreading the product did not appreciably increase overall revenues. Back in the old FSN days, at most a couple Pac-12 volleyball matches were shown live, with a handful more shown on a delayed basis, often days later.

They've acknowledged the revenue shortfall by flipping the National Network and Regional Networks, with the National now generally available within the Pac-12 geographic footprint on the same tier as ESPN, SEC Network, etc., with the second moved to a Sports package.

I think they will go to a four-network model, once current contracts run out or are renegotiated - National, plus NW, Cal, and MTN, with the latter available either in a Sports package or online (Pac-12+).

The line between broadcasting (on-air/cable/satellite) and streaming is being blurred, and will eventually be erased. With Apple TV or a Chromecast, for instance, you can cast/mirror any stream to your 40" TV. Sling TV lets you stream a wide array of "broadcast" channels over the Internet for $20-25/mo, without forcing you to subscribe to "super-bundles" at exorbitant cost, just to get the dozen or so you actually want to watch.
Any change would be better than how much restriction the PAC-12 Network currently has. If it can only be football, so be it. But don't isolate the rest of the country and coaches from seeing games.

I've heard mixed reviews about Sling. But I didn't see the PAC-12 offered anyway. It's possible I missed it.

MSR

Old 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No, just Culver's and Wendy's. That is why I called it "little"...(in development, yes)
I saw it. Give me 24 hrs, please as the one answer is longer than three sentences. Some, I believe will interest you. I have a lot to accomplish before the game this evening. And we all have the game as our priority, right? So I need a bit more time.

Are you with that?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Any change would be better than how much restriction the PAC-12 Network currently has. If it can only be football, so be it. But don't isolate the rest of the country and coaches from seeing games.

I've heard mixed reviews about Sling. But I didn't see the PAC-12 offered anyway. It's possible I missed it.

MSR
The six Regional Pac-12 Networks are in the Sports Extra ($5/mo) of Sling TV's Orange Package ($20/mo) - the National Network isn't, but if an event is on it, it should be on at least one of the regional networks. Streaming quality can vary from good to excellent. It pulls directly from the router (via wi-fi or ethernet) and doesn't involve casting/mirroring from your computer. I think it is a very good value for the price. To get ESPN/2/3/U, SEC Network, and the Pac-12 Networks on Comcast, I would have to step up two tiers and get the Sports package, for two to three times the cost of Sling TV.

I've noticed over the last year or so that streaming through Comcast (Blast) has improved significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington