Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM

35 posts, read 56,371 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in Seattle, but I dont' make the money he does, so I looked at rents in Olympia, and it seems more in my price range. I'm a freelancer, so no worry about finding a job. If I have internet, I have a job.

Anyway, I looked on Craigslist and saw an inordinate amount of mobile homes, which do not appeal to me. I need to be somewhere reasonably safe and close to public transportation, since I don't own a car. Looks like the bus system there is adequate, although could be better. We have an awesome bus system here, so I'm a bit spoiled.

I'm looking to spend around $650 to $750 for a 1 BR or large studio in a relatively quiet area. Doesn't need to be fancy, but not trashy either. I'd like to be walking distance to grocery shopping, if possible, but that's not a necessity, as long as I can get there by bus or on my bike.

I just want to know what areas to concentrate on when I got scout it out this coming summer. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,723,711 times
I live in west Oly and am in walking distant to the mall, grocery shopping, lots of fast food options etc. There is also a bus to downtown right outside though I never used it personally. There are lots of apartment complexes out this way but I'd call for availability and you may need to up your price limit a bit tbh. I don't find the area trashy at all but then again I moved here from NYC so this whole area is like paradise compared to that place lol.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 12-29-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM

28,109 posts, read 63,519,352 times
Make sure Internet you need is available and rents like just about everywhere have increased...

Lots of people making the move to the Pacific Northwest.

Only reason for my comment is Comcast had said Internet Available and accepted an order for new service from a Tenant only to learn it was NOT available...

Good bet is if the address has a history of service you should be OK.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Make sure Internet you need is available and rents like just about everywhere have increased...

Lots of people making the move to the Pacific Northwest.

Only reason for my comment is Comcast had said Internet Available and accepted an order for new service from a Tenant only to learn it was NOT available...

Good bet is if the address has a history of service you should be OK.
Washington is also one of the states where Comcast enforces data caps now (since November) as well and it's really the only viable option here afaik

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 11,935,671 times
I don't think there's any parts of Olympia I would describe as not-decent. You can find bad actors and bad neighbors any where, but there isn't a part of town that I would avoid for safety.

I am also surprised if you're saying you're only finding mobiles for rent in that price range. The ads I see today for under $500 are for mobile space rent... i.e. just a space.... you bring the trailer. Renting a mobile in a park can be a lot more. They may look trashy to you, and some are, but they do have advantages in space and privacy over an apartment.... and often the ability to have a small yard and pets. Sometimes you buy and own the mobile for a few thousand, and then rent the space. No landlord to micromanage your place, you can do what you want to it.

I think you'd be very lucky to find any apartment for less than $800 in Olympia. I rent out our apartment to a tenant for less, but we're quite a ways out of town. This is not a real easy area to live without a car. The major grocery stores in Tumwater, for example, are not surrounded by apartment buildings within walking distance. If I were looking I'd start the search on the West side of Olympia. Lots of new growth, shopping and apartments there.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-29-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,519,352 times
I went to Hometown Management and two listings are shown at $700

Can't say anything more but it does give a glimpse into the Olympia market.

Rental Listings - Hometown Property Management

Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:

That's not in walking distance to well...anything lol. Looks to be pass Lacey even.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Just a reminder to OP. Call these places first! A lot of these places on real estate sites/craigslist etc which just keep an ad running all year round even if there is no availability. Also the prices are often not accurate as well from my experience. When I moved here earlier this year I went to about 7 different places and most places were unavailable and there was a waiting list and the prices were not correct.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,348,893 times
Quote:

Ultrarunner, you might want to check that listing again. Those two places are 22 miles away from Olympia, not in any town and nowhere near any bus lines. The next listings start quite a bit higher at $1,300.

OP, you're looking to spend around $650 to $750 for a 1 BR or large studio in a relatively quiet area?

Wrong town then. You'll need at least a hundred more per month for a low-end place, especially if you plan to wait until summer to move. Folks have been moving here in droves, and the rents just keep climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington