Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:26 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times

Advertisements

The chances of Rainier blowing is something 1 in 12 during our lifetime and like I said, mountains usually give plenty of notice before they blow, but things to think about:

"All of these lahars flowed tens of meters (hundreds of feet) deep"

And

"The Electron Mudflow reminds us of the possibility that, occasionally, lahars may have non–eruption origins and thus may occur with little conventional volcanic warning."

Though, that last one was only 98 feet deep, so not as bad?

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...st_lahars.html

I really hope that Trump and the republicans don't slash the USGS budget, at least not too badly, they do important work. Even though I am an optimist I don't have much hope that they're not going to get axed in one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 PM

329 posts, read 470,010 times
I will be out that way in a couple days to look all over WA to find a retirement home.. My husband did ask about the volcano..
Is there a map that shows the most dangerous areas so I don't bother looking there ..?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...rd_lahars.html

Another map and some interesting reading.

Mount Rainier: One of Our Nation's Most Dangerous Volcanoes

If you go too far north then you have to look into threats from Glacier Peak, but that's Snohomish and Skagit counties.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM

233 posts, read 250,473 times
Ha ha ha...these fearful eruption people crack me up. Could Mt. Rainier have an eruption? Yes...but so could just about any other dormant volcano along the Cascade Crest. Even IF it was going to, most eruptions (if not all) give geologists warnings long in advance. And even IF Rainier popped, it could be nothing more than a small ash plume....and that plume would head east, not west, 99% of the time. A more major eruption (no indications whatsoever), still may not even seriously effect the Enumclaw area because it is on an escarpment of sorts. The greatest dangers would be in the VALLEYS away from Enumclaw.

The whole notion of an eruption is silly. The odds that one will occur is minimal at best. If you are a fear mongering individual, they maybe living in a sterile bubble might be a better bet?

Enumclaw is a decent town. The downtown is growing in a sense, with revitalized restaurants and small business establishments increasing. The neighborhoods near the downtown are pretty nice. Many old and well kept homes make it a great place to take walks and enjoy the architecture. The King County Fair is held northeast of town. Plenty of grocery and hardware stores as well as any basic needs being provided for in town. Very close trips to hiking trails and fishing/hunting areas. Town parades and street fairs are happening during the spring through the fall. A large concert venue is near. The local farms and pasture lands are very attractive. A good hospital in town.

Bad stuff? Like ALL towns, a drug problem exists. A few crack-heads and meth users. A fair amount of low income crime areas. Traffic is a bit bad during commute times. If you know the back roads, most traffic can be bypassed. Transit (bus, rail) is almost zero. A poor selection of apartments.

Taking into account all south King County towns....Enumclaw is actually a good choice in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington