Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,006 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Eastern Canada for 20 years but will be retiring soon and would like to come home to the US probably in Washington State. We are boaters, ski boat and houseboat, so need to be near water. Any thoughts on the Grand Coulee/Electric city area? The prices are right (we will take a kicking on the move and exchange) which is very important . I saw on another post that some folks think it's too hot and dry. But we have family in Spokane and my husband loves the climate there. Drawbacks? Advantages? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
For many, many years we spent our summer vacations at the Banks Lake - Grand Coulee area and love it. Having said that, Electric City is a bit of a dump. Grand Coulee is much nicer though. If it didn't get so darned cold there in the winter, we would have considered retirement there, but instead decided on SE Arizona. It IS a small town environment and major shopping is quite a ways away - if that matters to you.

Ken

Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Edie, have you considered Chelan, Wa? It's a small town sitting next to one of the largest and most beautiful lakes in the entire country.

The south end near Chelan is hot and dry in the summer. The area's around the lake are surrounded by orchards of all types. The winter is cold and it snows as well.

If you go north on the lake (there are no roads leading to the north end) you travel into some of the most scenic areas you could imagine. It's like a postcard. The lake is over fifty miles long and a mile or two wide, plenty for whatever watersport you like.

Here's some more info
Chelan, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Lake Chelan Tourism, events, rentals, hotels, information, and cabins (http://www.cometothelake.com/things_to_do_index.html - broken link)

Old 03-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Many Thanks

LordBalfor & st33lcas:

Thanks for the suggestions!

LordBalfor: Even viewing on line I got the sense that Electric City is somewhat questionable. I'll look more closely at Grand Coulee. Having lived for so long in eastern Canada - I can take a bit of cold - so that wouldn't bother me terribly. I don't mind the cold it's the length of the winters that wears me down. Where I currently live the population is 4500 - so small towns appeal to me.

st22lcas: will check into Chelan right away. I am planning a trip to Washington in April so I hope to look these areas over.

Again - thank you for your help.

Regards, Edie

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 32,786 times
Great Area! I'm thinking of retiring over that way myself (am in Olympia, WA area now). My only concern is medical care since I lost both of my parents last year and saw how important medical care is. My brother lived in Wenatchee for years and the medical care there is great, so I may get a bit closer to there (looking at Waterville), though I hope to have a few years before I need to worry about it. My brother lives in Alaska now but still travels to Wenatchee for some of his medical care (he was shot up pretty bad in Vietnam).

Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieinDeep View Post

st22lcas: will check into Chelan right away. I am planning a trip to Washington in April so I hope to look these areas over.
If you have the time, take a trip up the Lake to Stehekin. It's only accessible via boat or plane. Take the Lady of the Lake up. It makes for a great day trip. I believe they have details on it in one of the links I posted. Oh, and bring a camera.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM

26 posts, read 138,227 times
the area around Grand Coulee and Electric City - while I've not lived there, I've motored thru and lived in Ephrata for a year - weather is pretty much the same. Not a lot of amenities in either city but then again, they are small towns. Grand Coulee was lined with neat, nice houses along the highway - and then there's the 'light show' that is shown in the summer against the dam face too. But dry and hot - when I was there in Ephrata there were several weeks of hundred and a bit over weather but there is hardly any rain. Dry air, clean for the most part, I found I missed mtns, but that is not a concern for everyone....Cold in the winter with mostly freezing level but drops down colder at times and there is snow - but again, it's usually a dry snow which is easier to deal with. If you like that kind of environment, it would probably be a nice place to live? Hope you find your perfect spot!!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I'm going to be out west in about two weeks and I will make the trip up to the Grand Coulee area... I'll let you know what I think. Edie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington