Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

I'm researching places to move, as I'm over western Washington's weather after living here my whole life. I also have joint problems and am craving the sun and dry weather. Our city's annual rainfall average is 69" and that's just too much. I feel twice my age here.

I've looked up places like Santa Fe NM, Sedona AZ... But my husband really likes the PNW so I'm trying to compromise. I REALLY like how Prosser looks on paper. The whole area seems to be what I'm looking for, but still just a few hours drive from the green for the hubbs. I'm hoping we will make the trip over the mountains to stay for a weekend and check the area out in person next month.

His biggest concern though, is the Hanford site and how it affects the surrounding areas.
Any input? Or maybe articles you can direct me to?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 AM

72 posts, read 130,347 times
I would suggest putting this in the Tri-cities forum.

My short answer is that the Hanford Site is massive and any nuclear or chemical waste is long ways from Prosser and has no impact on it.

What specifically are you afraid of? If you have specific fears, I can directly address them. I know that nuclear stuff has "Phantom Menace" aura about it - people are afraid of it but can't fully articulate why.

I, however, would be concerned about the exposure to agricultural chemicals that you may get in Prosser (or anywhere in the lower Yakima Valley).

Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 AM

226 posts, read 302,965 times
Prosser is upwind from Hanford, so you'll be fine.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeOnSammy View Post
I'm researching places to move, as I'm over western Washington's weather after living here my whole life. I also have joint problems and am craving the sun and dry weather. Our city's annual rainfall average is 69" and that's just too much. I feel twice my age here.

I've looked up places like Santa Fe NM, Sedona AZ... But my husband really likes the PNW so I'm trying to compromise. I REALLY like how Prosser looks on paper. The whole area seems to be what I'm looking for, but still just a few hours drive from the green for the hubbs. I'm hoping we will make the trip over the mountains to stay for a weekend and check the area out in person next month.

His biggest concern though, is the Hanford site and how it affects the surrounding areas.
Any input? Or maybe articles you can direct me to?
Thanks.
I worked from 1994-1999 at Hanford and lived in Richland. You are told that there is no increase in cancer rates from living in Tri Cities but several men where I worked (Tank Farm where they kept the nuclear sludge) came down with cancer. I think at the very least if you work by the radioactive sludge, your risk of exposure is increased. I'm not sure if living in Prosser or the Tri Cities itself results in a greater risk....I suggest you read the studies conducted if you are seriously considering moving there.

So I started working internationally the last 15 years and now plan to retire in the next year. Therefore, we conducted an exercise to see where we wanted to live considering the fact our grandsons are in Seattle and daughter is living in Richland. We considered Tacoma, Tri cities, Chelan, Medford, Arizona, and Spain....we ended up deciding to retire in Tri Cities because our daughter is there, we are 3.5 hours to our grandsons, we prefer the climate in Tri Cities over the west side, you get a lot more house for your money, and we love the bike trails, gym (Gold's), wineries, and the size of Tri Ctites with enough to do (almost) but not crazy traffic. So I set aside my concerns about Hanford as a low lever risk rather than a deal breaker for us.

Were I only choosing, I probably would not have chosen Tri Cities to retire but wife loves it and I like it enough not to make serious objections.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
How about Prescott AZ? Nice 4 season climate, not too hot not too cold. Some snow in winter, sun melts it off in couple of days at 5,000 feet. Large enough to have all the "normal stores", but not a megalopolis. Lots of high elevation recreation available in Northern AZ area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington